Type 2 Diabetic

I use the Dexcom G6 because I get them through my insurance program that also monitors and provides coaching. It is no cost to me through the program so I participate and have constant glucose monitoring that communicates with my iPhone.

In my experience it is roughly accurate as I usually calibrate it through the app with a finger stick reading.

Also, since it is down on my abdomen it can be subject to bumps, etc., if I’m working. Dexcom provides overlay stickers to help protect the mounted sensor and transmitter and they do protect the sensor better than just the cloth sticker.

I prefer it over the Freestyle Libre in that the monitoring is relatively continuous vs having to scan your phone onto the sensor on your arm. And for me, the Freestyle gave me arm and muscle pain after a while. No such issue with the Dexcom.

Prescription only and I know some insurance companies won’t cover unless you do a pre authorization via your provider. It’s not always successful.
The Libre3 doesn't require periodic scanning. Only an initial scan to pair with the sensor.

My MD put me on that in May as my fasting BG was staying up.

He started me with the 2 as that was the sample he had. I returned in month and was prescribed the Libre3 and they only require the initial scan. They last 14 days.

As others have mentioned, they do not measure BG directly, but measure the interstitial fluid as a proxy for BG readings. So they lag about 10-15 minutes behind what your blood glucose is doing.

Everyone is different and that’s the problem with diabetes. One diabetic can each half a sandwich and have minimal impact on their sugars while someone else will have their sugars skyrocket.

Fats are important in a diabetic diet but watch your lipids. I eat a lot of meats which provide fat and protein but my triglycerides were up on my recent lab work. I have to pare back a bit.

The other important factor is exercise. Exercise is imperative.

I hope the OP will give more details like when he was diagnosed, his lifestyle, diet and how often he is checking his sugars.
Great points. I should have emphasized this more. People are very different, genetics and foods eaten since a kid play a role. None, I mean zero of my relatives had any blood sugar issues. Yet here I am. I hardly if ever drank pop, I really don't like candy. BUT bread, rolls, cake, pie, cookies, I am a ****ed human vacuum. I still crave that stuff, I'm not going to lie.

I don't think the OP asked for help in managing his Type 2, or diet tips, etc...

I don't have experience with bloodless monitoring... I only need to do the pricks once or twice a day. As other pointed out, I've found working on the sides of my finger was less painful and annoying as opposed to the pads...

I don't think the OP asked for help in managing his Type 2, or diet tips, etc...

I don't have experience with bloodless monitoring... I only need to do the pricks once or twice a day. As other pointed out, I've found working on the sides of my finger was less painful and annoying as opposed to the pads...

Yep. They always show in the videos to use the pad and that’s the part that gets used the most.

Lancets are different. Some are adjustable, some are not. I’ve seen lances that looked like micro razor blades. Those are horrible unless you have thick skin.

They all require some needle.

I use the pin prick, it's not so bad after a couple days.

But Type 2? Get your liver working.

A) No alcohol, just stop. I'm sorry. Taxes the liver no matter the amount.
B) No honey, no fruit juice and light on the super sweet fruits, Just say no to free fructose. (think liver again)
C) No sugar
D) Very very light of free simple carbs. Rice of any variety, bread etc NOPE. Sorry.
E) Apple cider vinegar
F) Lemon water

I'm not a doctor but if your A1C is not lowered following the above, something else is wrong.

I was amazed how detoxing and cutting out these things lowered my daily glucose levels. I mean was getting over 150 and such, now much lower. It's time again for my A1C and shooting for ~6.
Sounds like good advice to me.

I dropped my A1C from 11.2 to 6.0 in about 3.5 months. I told my doctor I knew what I had to do and didn't have any intention of pricking myself on a daily basis. She gave me a Accuchek.

I still crave simple sugars & Taco Bell, but my short experience with highly elevated glucose already impacted my kidney function.

It's the simple low carb diet from me for here on out.

great info from real life experiences like Pablo also noting we are the same BUT different!! type II diabetes is a LIFESTYLE disease + said to be CURABLE!! not a diabetic but several in the family, but had blood pressure issues that quickly dropped on Lo Carb + HEALTHY FATS. now 75 YO + 155lb + feel good BUT at 12YO i was 175 lb + nicknamed stumpy!! overeating + poor food choices as well as eating too often. today theres lots of info to get control of your health. my fav Dr Sten Ekburg as he explains "how the body works", Dr Ken D Berry as well + love his book "Lies my Dr Told ME". todays docs are taught by schools supported by Big Food + Big Pharma so its no wonder what they are taught is drug biased as they get VERY LITTLE nutritional training because theres NO $$$$ in it, so unless you use a holistic doc or a nutritional savy one their recommended FIXES may not be the best + remember YOU have the last word + dont be afraid to ask questions as the doc works for YOU!!

Eat right for your body type and crank up the resistance - weight training. Aerobic is absolutely great, but it's a super slow road to the cure. Your deep muscles need to cycle and properly take up and consume glucose, the hormonal signals should be not to pump MORE insulin to move glucose if you have plenty of insulin.

great info from real life experiences like Pablo also noting we are the same BUT different!! type II diabetes is a LIFESTYLE disease + said to be CURABLE!! not a diabetic but several in the family, but had blood pressure issues that quickly dropped on Lo Carb + HEALTHY FATS. now 75 YO + 155lb + feel good BUT at 12YO i was 175 lb + nicknamed stumpy!! overeating + poor food choices as well as eating too often. today theres lots of info to get control of your health. my fav Dr Sten Ekburg as he explains "how the body works", Dr Ken D Berry as well + love his book "Lies my Dr Told ME". todays docs are taught by schools supported by Big Food + Big Pharma so its no wonder what they are taught is drug biased as they get VERY LITTLE nutritional training because theres NO $$$$ in it, so unless you use a holistic doc or a nutritional savy one their recommended FIXES may not be the best + remember YOU have the last word + dont be afraid to ask questions as the doc works for YOU!!
If 50,000 fans at Yankee Stadium were individually weiged in the Babe Ruth to Hank Aaron Era and another reading was taken there for 50,0000 fans in the Roger Clemens to Shohei Ohtani Era, the 2nd reading would be twice as much weight entered that ballpark.

Get control of our health and a drastic reduction of diabetes would occur. My wife was recently diagnosed with #2 and I've been bugging her for the past decade to exercise and cut out all the dinner desserts everyday. Yes, everyday it was either cake, cookies or ice cream - then she would park herself on the couch and grab a TV Remote. An hour later I'd look and she's asleep..

High fat diet lowered my cholesterol and triglyceride levels. It was a complete surprise and a great disappointment of what the conventional medicine teaches us of fats in diet and overall health.

If you are healthy, give this low carb diet a try. Do blood work now including A1C then go on low carb diet for 6 months and then do another blood work. If you are worried about butter or lard, increase your intake of olive oil (food will simply become a carrier for oil intake :) ). AVOID seed oils. See what your results will be.
Exactly what happened with me. Carbs are the main issue, worse than sugar. High fat, high fiber and low carb for me.

And throw the food pyramid away or turn it upside down. Plus throw the 3 meals a day out the window too. Only need one with supporting healthy snacks before.

Also the cooking oils they use are suspect with the processed and low grade seeds used.

And throw the food pyramid away or turn it upside down.

Also the cooking oils they use are suspect with the processed and low grade seeds used.
"Medical science" and it's promoters will never admit this failure.

I am trying to think of a worse thing foisted on the American population that was/is accepted as the BEST, 100% Healthy, etc

Nothing springs to mind, not even some virus responses. Not in terms of long term generational deaths and damage.

On a micro level people still seek out two things "low fat", "vegetable oil". Hate to say it, but mostly women, wife.....example.

Side note: Too low salt can increase insulin resistance! So the whole "no salt" thing for 90%+ of the population is bunk too.

It's amazing what can be done with low carb diet. The conventional medical wisdom of low fat/high carb diet combined with so much junk in our food supply is what is causing all these chronic illnesses.
All the sugars ,refined carbs , fast foods we eat constantly day in and day out is a huge part of the problem. Also stop eating between meals. I had to come back,,,, Both sides of my family came here after WW I and about 20 years ago some relatives came to visit and one thing I remember is a conversation about how so many Italians were diabetic from eating all the bread , pasta and sweets in their diet. Never having the insulin levels in your body drop is the problem .

Last edited:
Salt is blamed for high blood pressure but it's just a crutch for treatment and cause. Water pills to reduce the blood quantity and thinners to make it pump easier. When it's really an overweight issue. If I take a long road trip I snack on salty foods and this really increase my time between stops.

Same for the two diabetic drugs now that are being used as weight reducers on the side. Eat, get fat and be happy the commercials seems to be saying. But there are some very hazardous side effects.

Sounds like good advice to me.

I dropped my A1C from 11.2 to 6.0 in about 3.5 months. I told my doctor I knew what I had to do and didn't have any intention of pricking myself on a daily basis. She gave me a Accuchek.

I still crave simple sugars & Taco Bell, but my short experience with highly elevated glucose already impacted my kidney function.

It's the simple low carb diet from me for here on out.
Stop eating sugr for a while watch sugars in foods and after a while sweet will taste disgusting.

Low Fat means some other junk. The Fat Free stuff that Kraft used was based on methyl cellulose. Same with the new trend of no sugar added but they add artificial sweeteners. I was just reading Illinois is getting ready to ban a bunch of food additives that are already banned in the EU.

My wife has type 1 diabetes and recently started using a CGM. It’s a Dexcom. She has an iPhone and it loses its signal a few times a day and her phone alerts her. It’s annoying because it’s done it in the middle of the night losing the signal when her phone is 3 feet away from her on the nightstand.

Back