Anyone care to talk about wrist watches?

I too love watches and have a pretty decent collection but I've not worn one in probably 15 years because of work. Working in an auto manufacturing plant requires me to wear mutilation protection on anything that may scratch or hurt our new vehicle paint. We wear belt covers and ring covers, which are fine - its just I hate the watch covers because they hide my pretty watches and I don't feel like peeling a cover back to check time. So - I stopped wearing watches and I just use my phone.

With that being said, I really been liking the Invicta line of watches, especially the automatic models. Very nice,seems to be quality and the prices are right, especially on eBay. I bought a few as Christmas gifts for others.

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Wow...that Bulova Lunar Pilot is a great looking watch! Easy to read, functional and Bulova's own proprietary movement. Didn't realize the history behind it either. Great story.

Its quartz isnt it?

If so the watch community would not consider that a "movement".

UD

I think the Precisionist line is an in house movement. I believe it's quartz, but is tuned to oscillate at a higher frequency and for higher accuracy. The real draw for me is the second hand is super smooth, 16 hz. Smoother than most automatics.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Slightly different subject however it is wrist watch related.
What size watch do you like to wear on your wrist?
When I started oversizing, in the later '90s, I went to ~40-41mm
Now, I really prefer sizes of about 44mm-46mm.

How about your folks?

I think my sweet spot is between 40mm and 44mm, with 42 probably being right on for me. I recently bought a 38mm hamilton khaki mechanical that is just on the edge of being too small for me, but being a hand wind and worn on a NATO, it ends up super thin, so I still like it and will probably keep it. I think my wrist measures 7.25"

Of course, how the watch fits and feels on the wrist can still vary greatly with the same size.

I have this Tissot, I wear it every day so it's been beat up a little bit. I need to get a new band for it, the original broke and I just have a cheap band from Walmart on it right now.

I also love a watch that has its battle scars. That Tissot analog/digital(ana-digy) is a perfect example. That would look good on a Nato Strap. How long have you owned it?

I have a soft spot for the old American name watches ...
Benrus
Bulova
Elgin
Gruen
Hamilton
Timex

thumbsup2.gif
Me too, especially Bulova.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
I have a soft spot for the old American name watches ...
Benrus
Bulova
Elgin
Gruen
Hamilton
Timex

thumbsup2.gif
Me too, especially Bulova.

Indeed! I currently have 3 mid ca.1930's mens square/rectangle watches that I am working on. 2 Bulova's & 1 Gruen. I'm just polishing them up along w/ polishing the crystals. I have to be careful not to remove the case finish as they're only plated.

They all work and keep, hmmm, decent time. I may[MAY] try to regulate them a bit more however, this could go poorly as compared to leaving them alone. They're in excess of 80 yrs old and I may never get them regulated properly nor(NOR) get the time as good as they are currently once I start messing around with'em!

I like watches and have quite a few. My favorite are tuning fork watches but I have many mechanical and quartz watches as well
Some of my tuning forks

Some of my HAQ

Some of my other favs

Agreed, that's a great collection, BeerCan. I've been interested in getting a tuning fork watch. Are those movements maintenance heavy? The Grand Seiko is always beautiful, as you already know!

I never was a watch enthusiast until I did a little drunken Ebaying in 2009 and bought my Citizen Eco Drive diver's watch. I work a physical job (truck driver hooking up tanker hoses, dropping and hooking, etc.) and this watch has seriously taken a beating and has held up well. I don't worry at all about keeping it charges as I wear it on my left wrist and that gets the sunlight from driving. Love this watch.

Back