Anyone care to talk about wrist watches?

I have a work friend that is into watches. He must have at least 50 or more. All types.

Not my thing. Just a tool to tell time. Not into male jewelry. To each his own.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Nice collection Trav! I like the “ mechanics” of the automatics as well.

Thanks, the blue Ebel is my favorite, it has a very interesting history. It uses an in-house movement the ebel calibre 137 which won one of the 10 best movements ever made, it is a ground up chronograph design.
The watch retailed for about $7500 but ebel got out of the automatics and sold the movement to Ulysse Nardin lock stock and barrel literally including the workers to manufacturer it. The watch and movement are 100% Swiss made and the gold on the crown/pushers and bezel are 18K solid.

One Ulysse Nardin with this exact movement made by the same workers using the same parts cost a lot more. The movement is similar inc the sub dial layout to the Daytona but is a very thin watch, most quartz watches are thicker than this one.

https://www.watchtime.com/wristwatch-ind...ph-caliber-137/

https://luxurywatches635.wordpress.com/2017/08/13/review-of-ebel-btr-chronograph/

If it cost more than $20 its not about telling time anymore.

Not a whole watch, but still a fun photo
smile.gif
Watches are a great subject for practicing extreme macro photography also(this is roughly 6x lifesize)

I like watches, i usually wear one when not at work. I just have never wanted to spend more than $250-300. Most of mine are in the $100-$200 range, i guess i'm cheap.

Last edited:
Price has nothing to do with it, some of my favorite pieces cost next to nothing but have something about them like this old Russian military with its offset screwdown can.

BTW going back over 45 years I wanted to apprentice as a watchmaker, that was what I wanted to do more than anything but ended up a mechanic instead.

Last edited:
That is a good looking Russian Watch. The textured band w/contrast stitching compliments the watch. Is the band original to the watch?
smile.gif

No its not, the band cost almost as much the watch. I bought a lot of high end alligator and leather straps from a dealer back in 09 when the market crashed.
At that time there were some insane deals out there.

Not only do I have a fondness for the older American wrist watches as I have mentioned in the earlier posts, I also have a fondness for different watches as well. I am not really familiar with the Russian or Chinese watches such as what is seen here.

Trav,
My family & friends think that I am watch guy but, they haven't met you!
laugh.gif

I have in excess of 70 watchs, many are in the state of repair and I am slowly working on them. I have gotten the most beautiful of my collection working nicely and beautiful to hold & look at.

I just started "collecting" watches a couple of years ago. For some 30 years, I wore cheap, plastic Casio/Timex runner's watches that I never took off-shower,pool, working on cars, etc. At the end of one year, I would toss them in the trash can and go buy another one. They would be scratched up and I was finally sick of them. They almost always kept pretty good time. I would set them to GPS time signals enroute to the airport for work or in the cockpit.
More recently, I started buying nicer watches that I only wear occasionally. I now have three Citizen EcoDrives (solar/atomic). One each in black, silver and gold/silver. I have also recently purchased two Casio solar/atomics and put a tan field watch strap on one of them. One of the Casio's was a JDM watch that I purchased online and one of the EcoDrive's (Blue Angels) came from a Canadian Citizen Seller in Toronto...kinda cool. My brother gave me a Torgeon pilot watch when I retired.
I saw the Blue Angels recently with my son in DFW and I will give him that Blue Angels EcoDrive that I wore that day (for the first time), as a reminder of our lifelong love of airplanes and attending military airshows. It pales in comparison to the high end Rolex or Tag his boss gave him a couple of years ago, but hopefully he will wear it once in awhile for work.
I really like the solar/atomics for their accuracy but my daily watches are still plastic Casio/Timex's, backed up by my Garmin VivoSmart HR on the other wrist.

The eco drives are quite good for the money. I have a few Japanese pieces and like them a lot, it has nothing to do with the price tag.

Back