Warning about Ordering Valvoline 5W40 API SP and Quaker State 5W40 Online

But, LL01 does have that test.
Sure but what if you could buy an oil with the same Euro cert in either API SN or API SP?

For example.

Liqui Moly Longlife III 5w-30 (API SN, ACEA C3, VW 504/507, LL04) LINK
Liqui Moly Top Tech 4200 5w-30 New Generation (API SP, ACEA C3, VW 504/507, LL04, Mercedes Benz 229.51/52/31, Porsche C30) LINK

If you are on a forum called Bob Is The OIl Guy then probably you want to get the latest formula and it matters to you. :)

Im just saying if you looking for the latest formula you may not get it. According to their website Valvolines most current formula has API SP certification.

As for Walmart it is oil change central. Everything you need to do an oil change in one centralized place. I dont trust mechanics or oil change places to do the job. There are some who charge you but dont change it or dont use the oil they say they will use.

As for warranty it is correct that if you use the oil not specified in the manual it could be a concern for the dealer. However I have never had a dealership run an oil test for warranty repairs. No one ever asked me about oil or oil changes.

Rating just came out 2 years ago. Doubt many people that can afford one or two year old cars change their own oil, let alone are Walmart shoppers.
1-2 year old cars don't particuarlly require great wealth to obtain but yes, of the car buying populartion, we are a minority here that DIY oil changes. Walmart oil shoppers are the DIY kings!

For those doing their own oil changes on new and newer cars, have not had direct experience of this, but warned that manufacturers/dealers may void the warrantee if the oil does NOT meet the recommended type/spec. so don't ignore. With a warrantee running for 4 or 5 years, that adds up to quite a few compliant oil changes over the warrantee period.

My new (2021) Merc. GLC300 4Matic is very specific on both the grade and the ESP formulation required for the cat. filtration system. Some of the grades, even with the ESP formulation are NOT compliant. I always prefer to do my own oil changes!

Amazingly, as I have shared before on this forum, the dealership where I bought the car uses the same Mobil 1 on ALL the vehicles they service. Asked their service department about this and they didn't seem to know about the "special" ESP formulae/requirements for my vehicle, so goes to show you can't even rely on the dealership. No idea what would happen should I have a warrantee issue.

Finding these days that while many things are getting more complicated and sophisticated, the availability of knowledgeable sales/technical staff has become a rarity, with an '"it will be fine!" attitude. Being really anal I research the he** out of anything I plan on purchasing, and even then not always completely confident on my decision.

Recall about 10 years ago when shopping cars, the salesman asked me why I wanted to test drive the car? Needless to say, I walked.

One of my favorite sayings..... "You don't really know what you don't know. If you did you would at least try to find out!
Ah the internet oil warranty boogieman. As you note, some dealerships use incorrect oil per the manual and that's from an incredibly tiny population of the car-owning public here on BITOG that actually notice...likely it's more common that that and clearly has zero impact on a warranty claim or you'd hear about it. All the things that would have to line up/occur to ever have a lubrication-related warranty issue are so remote it should fall off the radar like meteor impacts killing you. How would they even know? The receipt will just say XYZ 5W40. You don't even need receipts, just a record which could be a spreadsheet you kept with date/mileage.

Last edited:
Seems like the thread should be "Warning about ordering online from Walmart" You got something "close to what you wanted" which seems to be the rule, not the exception; jmo.
I changed the title to reflect the focus of thread, not that there is anything wrong with the products ordered.

We need to structure our Titles to be clear about what we want to convey.

Ah the internet oil warranty boogieman. As you note, some dealerships use incorrect oil per the manual and that's from an incredibly tiny population of the car-owning public here on BITOG that actually notice...likely it's more common that that and clearly has zero impact on a warranty claim or you'd hear about it. All the things that would have to line up/occur to ever have a lubrication-related warranty issue are so remote it should fall off the radar like meteor impacts killing you. How would they even know? The receipt will just say XYZ 5W40. You don't even need receipts, just a record which could be a spreadsheet you kept with date/mileage.
I've always felt the shop could tell if the oil had not been changed regularly by the internals appearance. Cleanliness and noticeable wear would be obvious.

Back