Rolls Royce V12 Oil Type and Amsoil Euro

I am located in northern USA.
I am considering HPL if it is surely better than any other brand. It may be obvious but how is HPL better? I have found regular brands such as Castro and Mobile with all the required approval ratings along with proper viscosity. But I am not an oil expert on additives added to the oil.
I do want to purchase HPL, but I don’t see what’s the difference. HPL recommended their 0w-40 super car oil for my vehicle.
You may find this thread of interest. A lot of discussion on what makes HPL different. Simply - best bases, best additives, blended for best performance vs. blended to a price point, all done by a great team, and advised by an industry expert.

A lot of discussion, and some useful links to further discussion. Please take some time and read through the discussion. Since your car is no longer in warranty - the actual approvals matter less.

I’m a big fan (clearly) of HPL. For example, this post:

Post in thread 'So what is the deal with HPL Oil?'
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/so-what-is-the-deal-with-hpl-oil.367630/post-6456304

All that said, HPL’s owner, David has said that the Mobil 1 0W40 is better than it should be at that price point, based on his lab analysis, and he would use it if he couldn’t get HPL. This post:

Post in thread 'M1 FS 0W40 vs. Castrol Edge 0W40'
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/m1-fs-0w40-vs-castrol-edge-0w40.360264/post-6248210

So, back to my recommendation above, HPL or the Mobil 1 FS 0W40. Here is a look inside my wife’s V12 (yep, his and hers V-12s in the driveway) after years of 10,000 mile oil changes on the Mobil 1.

Here is a shot looking up into the engine - the drain plug had been buggered by some moron in the car’s past. I removed the pan to fix it correctly.

IMG_0043.jpeg

Clearly, the engine is spotless inside running on the Mobil 1. I prefer to support a small business and indulge in a better oil, so, HPL in just about everything, but that is me. Either choice would be great for your car.

Back