So what is the deal with HPL Oil?

As the title says... what is the deal with HPL oil? I am seeing it heavily talked about on the forum but nowhere else. What's special about it? How do you buy it?

You know, we made certain threads stickies, so they will appear at the top of the very section in which you’ve posted.

For example:

See also:

This one is great:

As is this:

You‘re not the first to ask, for example:

The forum search function is quite good. I recommend it.

From reading a lot of posts here on BITOG, Sludge / varnish is very common in most engines (even with shorter OCI with full synthetic oils).
HPL appears to be very effective at cleaning out the sludge / varnish slowly and safely as shown by the photo's of oil filters cut open.
HPL's cleaning abilities give it a big cleaning advantage over most other non ester based oils.

High Performance Lubricants is a boutique oil company that specializes in high end passenger car, diesel, and racing oils from engine to driveline. They also do a lot of industrial lubricants including hydraulic oils and greases. They have some of the most brilliant minds in chemistry and tribology behind them which shows through in their products. They don't conform to minimum standards but rather strive to make the best performing products possible, frequently testing their oils to find improvements. Their oils are known for their excellent cleaning abilities and long oil change intervals. They're transparent with their customers and the community here, a rarity among oil companies.

From reading a lot of posts here on BITOG, Sludge / varnish is very common in most engines (even with shorter OCI with full synthetic oils).
HPL appears to be very effective at cleaning out the sludge / varnish slowly and safely as shown by the photo's of oil filters cut open.
HPL's cleaning abilities give it a big cleaning advantage over most other non ester based oils.
Really … ?

Alternate take:

HPL is the BITOG flavor of the week. I've seen it before. German Castrol, PYB, Pennzoil Ultra for example all came and went. HPL is what's in style here right now.

Don't get me wrong, there's a reason for that, and it's mostly that HPL has been very interactive with this place, which is fantastic and I don't minimize that. But there's always been an "it" oil here.

I am seeing it heavily talked about on the forum but nowhere else.
That's because they're a sponsor here on this forum. It's also because they make awesome products that no one else makes, and we, car enthusiasts, appreciate them.

What's special about it?
Their oils are blended for heavy abuse, long drain intervals, and cleaning power. Simply put, their lubricants are overbuilt.

How do you buy it?
Usually with money, preferably dollars. Maybe you could pay them in gum?

Or you could just scoot over here and place order right now: https://www.advlubrication.com/collections/automotive-lubricants

Alternate take:

HPL is the BITOG flavor of the week. I've seen it before. German Castrol, PYB, Pennzoil Ultra for example all came and went. HPL is what's in style here right now.

Don't get me wrong, there's a reason for that, and it's mostly that HPL has been very interactive with this place, which is fantastic and I don't minimize that. But there's always been an "it" oil here.
I’ll suggest that ”this time, it’s different”.

All of your previous “flavor of the week” oils were mass-market products made by the major players in the industry.

The interaction you mention, which I’ll call customer service and response, is unprecedented. HPL has made a couple of oils just for the BITOG crowd. The Overkill 0W20 and the No VII for example.

No oil company has ever blended on request for this group before.

Additionally, they ship quickly, answer questions, and engage with their customers in a way the majors never have.

HPL has one of the best oil engineers handling their development.

HPL, as a small, custom blender, makes the absolute best products. They’re not mass-market. They build to customer specifications, so NASCAR and other Race Teams get exactly what they want, large government organizations get exactly what they want, and we get what we want.

Again, unprecedented.

Previously, the flavor of the week was based on picking from among the mass market, one size fits all, products of major players that didn’t share exactly what was in the formulation.

Now, we have an oil company that responds to customers, shares recommendations and formulations, and will make the very best oil possible, without regard to mass market cost considerations.

Very different than what existed before.

I'm running HPL oil in my Sportwagen. This car sees track use and is generally beat on with high oil temps and a tuned/modded motor for more than 2x stock power (~200hp/L). They have been great w/r to customer service and the owner worked with me a bit with some custom blended oils (provided at no cost) when I was just starting to look at using them to solve a few specific issues. Sticker under the hood - I'm sold/customer for life. It isn't for everyone and the value for "normal" users is longer drain intervals to help offset the cost. They are the forum darling now but for good reason.

I was thinking on going with HPL when I run out of my stash but I'm now not sure I want to wait that long. The customer experience seems to be so great that there isn't any apparent risk. I've never been one to seek the cheapest oil possible meeting requirements, so a little extra cost here isn't a concern.

I'm a cheap mo-fo, SuperTech-loving bottom dweller, and even I like them. They must be doing something right.
And that is probably just fine in those vehicles. I too use ST in 2/5 of my fleet that it makes sense in w/5K changes. Horses for courses.

As the title says... what is the deal with HPL oil? I am seeing it heavily talked about on the forum but nowhere else. What's special about it? How do you buy it?

We are having an open house in May. You are welcome to attend. You can meet us as well as go to the track for a behind the ropes experience with a championship level NHRA Pro Stock team.

David

Back