So what is the deal with HPL Oil?

And that is probably just fine in those vehicles. I too use ST in 2/5 of my fleet that it makes sense in w/5K changes. Horses for courses.
this-is-starting-6002e96169.jpg

Seems like good oil options especially for performance cars. But for the average person I see no point in it, cars been going well over 200,000 miles on cheap oils for decades.

I will certainly keep HPL in mind though for some future plans I have.

Interesting! Maybe I should run some of that through my very sludged up 5.4!

Or it will take out the rest of the gaskets that I didn't change.
By the sounds of it you have a 5.4 3v? they are sludge monsters. The 2v is the only one worthwhile in my opinion aside from the **** spark plugs blowing out the 2v's are pretty solid.

You might want to consider running BG Dynamic, many seem to have good results with BG, but last I knew you could only get that at a shop.

By the sounds of it you have a 5.4 3v? they are sludge monsters. The 2v is the only one worthwhile in my opinion aside from the **** spark plugs blowing out the 2v's are pretty solid.

You might want to consider running BG Dynamic, many seem to have good results with BG, but last I knew you could only get that at a shop.
It's a 2v. Previous owner of the engine must have been on the lifetime oil change plan.

Focused on building ultra-premium high end motor oils outside of the formulating restriction box/industry which allows for greater flexibility in overall formulation approach.
Chemistry guided or developed by Dr. Rudnick.
Ultra-high end performance based.
Excellent customer service.

The one thing I am curious about is HPL claims on their website Meets or Exceeds Dexos1, API SP, ILSAC GF-6A, etc.

Are these actual certifications or just a claim? because when I lookup certifications I am unable to find that so not sure if it is just not updated or something else. And obviously Dexos certification is important for people under warranty.

Hopefully they or someone else can chime in on this.

The one thing I am curious about is HPL claims on their website Meets or Exceeds Dexos1, API SP, ILSAC GF-6A, etc.

Are these actual certifications or just a claim? because when I lookup certifications I am unable to find that so not sure if it is just not updated or something else. And obviously Dexos certification is important for people under warranty.

This has been asked and answered before, many times. This came from the thread stickied at the top. Post 12 is what you’re looking for, which is Dave’s response to this exact question.

LINK

The additive package used is an approved D1G2 (now D1G3 in the No VII PCMO line) and API SP / GF-6A additive package. High Performance Lubricants uses that additive package as a base foundation and then top treats to reach the performance level they're looking for. They also use base oils that are superior to the base oils used for the certifications. They cannot use the actual certification since they deviated from the approved formula, despite that deviation being for the better, but they can say it meets the requirements because it does. HPL would have to go through all of the testing for their own oils to be certified which is very cost prohibitive. The ROI isn't there to fork out the 6 figure cost to have the testing done to certify their formula. Then if say a year later, they test out a new AO or EP additive and find better performance with it, they'd have to do that expensive testing all over again to be able to add it to their existing formulas because they'd be deviating again. It's not worth it.

The unfortunate thing about those certifications is the almost monopoly that's put on them. You won't find many, if any, major oil brands testing their oils for those certifications. If they are sending it out for testing, or doing their own testing in house, it's usually profit/bottom line measure rather than a performance seeking one. There are very few exceptions. Most of the testing for those certifications is done by the additive companies like Infenium, Lubrizol, Oronite, etc... They put together an additive package and base oil blend, send it out for certification/approval testing, and then sell that additive package as an approved add pack to the oil brands who then blend that additive package to the base oil blend used for the certification, or variation allowed within, slap a starburst on the label, and send it out the door. There's a few add packs that get certified and thus some variation between brands depending on which they buy and use, but they largely perform similar to one another. This forces all oils with that certification into the same small box chemistry wise.

Say a brand wants to add ester to their formula to increase the heat and shear stability, reduce volatility, and improve cleaning ability, if the additive package they're using was not tested with ester in the base oil blend, they can't use it and keep the certification. Even though the oil performs better with the ester, it doesn't matter. It's no longer an approved formula. So you either have to accept the API's indirect ceiling on performance or ditch it to make a better product.

Approvals and certifications are good for weeding out the scammer gas station brands trying to sell you line flush as engine oil. Some set a little higher bar than your typical API minimums. They all indirectly create a ceiling though. If you're looking for a better performing oil than what you see on the shelf, you have get certifications off your mind.

The additive package used is an approved D1G2 (now D1G3 in the No VII PCMO line) and API SP / GF-6A additive package. High Performance Lubricants uses that additive package as a base foundation and then top treats to reach the performance level they're looking for. They also use base oils that are superior to the base oils used for the certifications. They cannot use the actual certification since they deviated from the approved formula, despite that deviation being for the better, but they can say it meets the requirements because it does. HPL would have to go through all of the testing for their own oils to be certified which is very cost prohibitive. The ROI isn't there to fork out the 6 figure cost to have the testing done to certify their formula. Then if say a year later, they test out a new AO or EP additive and find better performance with it, they'd have to do that expensive testing all over again to be able to add it to their existing formulas because they'd be deviating again. It's not worth it.

The unfortunate thing about those certifications is the almost monopoly that's put on them. You won't find many, if any, major oil brands testing their oils for those certifications. If they are sending it out for testing, or doing their own testing in house, it's usually profit/bottom line measure rather than a performance seeking one. There are very few exceptions. Most of the testing for those certifications is done by the additive companies like Infenium, Lubrizol, Oronite, etc... They put together an additive package and base oil blend, send it out for certification/approval testing, and then sell that additive package as an approved add pack to the oil brands who then blend that additive package to the base oil blend used for the certification, or variation allowed within, slap a starburst on the label, and send it out the door. There's a few add packs that get certified and thus some variation between brands depending on which they buy and use, but they largely perform similar to one another. This forces all oils with that certification into the same small box chemistry wise.

Say a brand wants to add ester to their formula to increase the heat and shear stability, reduce volatility, and improve cleaning ability, if the additive package they're using was not tested with ester in the base oil blend, they can't use it and keep the certification. Even though the oil performs better with the ester, it doesn't matter. It's no longer an approved formula. So you either have to accept the API's indirect ceiling on performance or ditch it to make a better product.

Approvals and certifications are good for weeding out the scammer gas station brands trying to sell you line flush as engine oil. Some set a little higher bar than your typical API minimums. They all indirectly create a ceiling though. If you're looking for a better performing oil than what you see on the shelf, you have get certifications off your mind.
Well written. Many of the oils I consider top notch say they meet or exceed OEM. Redline oil and Amsoil to name a few. When good just isn't enough. I watched a video showing the comparisons of the grades and bases of oils on red line Oil video with Cameron Evans and he was the first to say that the group threes have gotten better. They just start to struggle when the temperatures go to large extremes either too hot or too cold. They say that for the majority of regular around town driving and performance the the standard group 3 synthetic oil will work just fine. That's true and I don't argue with that. But you start really throwing speed and bolt ons then internal modifications and it ain't good enough at all. I'm still happy there's brands out there willing to make an oil that just gives a little bit more wear protection and margin of error.

I'll point out the obvious that people should be aware of also. When you don't have large sample sizes verifying compatibility, you risk unintended consequences. It isn't about being smart, or sometimes even experienced. The older I get the more calcified I have in seeking out proven solutions that just work and the base additive packages have that going for them.

I'll point out the obvious that people should be aware of also. When you don't have large sample sizes verifying compatibility, you risk unintended consequences. It isn't about being smart, or sometimes even experienced. The older I get the more calcified I have in seeking out proven solutions that just work and the base additive packages have that going for them.
So you’re saying that HPL oil could potentially be dangerous to use? Or were you referring to some other post in this thread? I wasn’t sure what you mean.

So you’re saying that HPL oil could potentially be dangerous to use? Or were you referring to some other post in this thread? I wasn’t sure what you mean.

I wouldn't go that far. I'm just saying that anytime you pick a solution that is off the beaten path you have the potential to uncover unintended consequences. Those hurdles are often the path to improvement, but they also have the potential to be worse than the proven solution in certain circumstances. Anyone who has designed something and put it out into the market understands this in ways that become personal stories. Don't ask me how I know.

Back