High Performance Lubricants PCMO Series

Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP with the latest MB 229.52 certification would satisfy the needs of many that are looking at HPL.
229.52 doesn't specifiy varnish or coke removal performace, neither directly nor indirectly. In fact, there is no motor oil spec that does, therefore the formulator/blender would have to go out of there way to achieve performance like that. This would entail adding specialized ingredients, which would come at a higher cost. "Built to spec" fluids (even "rough" spec) are a different market that has different expectations.

I seem to have ignited the honor/ignore the warranty requirements discussions here. I should have known better having been on automotive social media sites for almost 20 years. Was hoping that BITOG would be a little less rambunctious but seems I was wrong.
I got the info I wanted. But again, was not expecting the exuberance of the ignore the warranty reqts discussions. The industry I retired from was huge on verbatim compliance with the written rules. Being nuclear I embraced that and carried into my private life when it came to written requirements from a manufacturer who expected me to perform in a manner that they laid out for me. And throw in the Magnuson Moss warranty act, well then what would expect. Yes I know what some of the replies might be to that, but also remember, if the Manufacturer feels you violated the warranty, now you have to prove you didn't. If they do a UOA and the numbers pertaining to C20, or whatever spec you are supposed to use, aren't there or obviously different, one could be refused. And I can tell you that maybe the chances of that happening are extremely small, but my budget is infinitely smaller compared to theirs so why even take the chance.
Besides, the Mobil1 ESP X2 0W-20 is a very good oil AND actually costs less than the Amsoil or HPL prices for their product that I have been able to find. HPL-$16.95/QT, Amsoil-$14.99/QT, Mobil1-$11.67/QT.

Let the fire storm continue. :)
I agree. What is the point of this site, if all anyone has to use is the warranty requirement oil? "Better" who cares as ong as it says Dexos on the bottle or the like.

I agree. What is the point of this site, if all anyone has to use is the warranty requirement oil? "Better" who cares as ong as it says Dexos on the bottle or the like.
What would be "like" Dexos? There are plenty of oils that don't have a Dexos rating and many are arguably, or not, superior to Dexos. I'm just curious as to your thoughts.

Umm, I think you misread his post; he is definitely in the “use the warranty requirement oil only” camp.

I used to float in that camp depending on the age of my vehicles; old vehicles used whatever I wanted, and newer vehicles used whatever I felt “best” that met the specs. Now that HPL is on the scene and telling us they use approved chemistry with better base oils I am cleansed of my “sins” of wanting to use the best oil, no holds barred. HPL exceeds any possible OEM expectation when using the appropriate grade & dexos/Euro designation; I’d trust a literal zero-mile vehicle to HPL and never doubt my decision.

What would be "like" Dexos? There are plenty of oils that don't have a Dexos rating and many are arguably, or not, superior to Dexos. I'm just curious as to your thoughts.
Some have the thought that if you use something else, you will do damage or void warratny. Not sure how they would know that you did not use dexos anyway, especially in a new gdi engine with fuel dilution and such

Some have the thought that if you use something else, you will do damage or void warratny. Not sure how they would know that you did not use dexos anyway, especially in a new gdi engine with fuel dilution and such
The issue folks are worried about, while unlikely, is that you DIY so have to produce records showing that you did the maintenance and if someone really wanted to push the limits, could point to the fact that HPL has no approvals or certifications.

The issue folks are worried about, while unlikely, is that you DIY so have to produce records showing that you did the maintenance and if someone really wanted to push the limits, could point to the fact that HPL has no approvals or certifications.
Agreed. I do not like built in obsolescence........

I would like to see evidence where someone used a proper oil, by a mainstream company, and had a failure due to lubrication.......I suppose one could argue that wear might be a failure...but they are dumb..

So I broke down and poured in a gallon of HPL PCMO 5W-30 into my car. It’s using oil, but at an acceptable rate of 1qt/>3000mi on the last fill(Castrol Edge Euro 0W-40). I did a cleaning cycle with EC about 6K ago. I have about 160mi on the oil, it’s turned golden brown. I plan on running this for a 7-10K interval.

I am intrigued by these oils. If I didnt already commit my autoX car to Redline oil this year Id be trying it. I may get a bottle of the cleaner for a friends car that needs the rings cleaned out. Perhaps switch my daily as well

@High Performance Lubricants or anyone else

I got a question that I don't think has been asked yet.

I have 3 qts of Premium 0W-20 left over. Since it is common knowledge that the regular oil cleans more than the EC would I be correct in thinking that if I ran a quart of the premium in with something like Kirkland, PUP, M1etc... that it would clean more aggresively than the EC? My thoughts are, I only have 3 qts left. 2 of my cars have HPL in them. My other doesn't but that car "shouldn't" need any cleanup since most of my oil changes are less than 2k miles with maybe the first one being closer to 3k and I only have ~17k on it.

Since I don't have enough for a full OC for either of my 3 running cars I was thinking that I could just do a regular OC and substitute a qt of HPL and it would still continue to clean, albeit less so than running full HPL but more so than the EC.

Back