High Performance Lubricants PCMO Series

You won’t be disappointed with any of HPL’s oils. I’m on 2nd run of HPL NO VII 5w20. After it’s gone it will be HPL CK-4 5w30 since they don’t make a CK-4 5w20 oil sadly.
Any idea why they offer NO VII 10w40? I see it in the drop-down menu, but it shows ‘not available’, so I’m not sure if they’re just out of stock or it’s just not a thing‘. 🤷‍♂️

The No VII 10W-40 was created by request of someone with a 3rd gen Ecodiesel. Those engines won't tolerate CK-4 oils. They're have a lot of bearing failures from dealerships putting in Rotella instead of the MS-12291 oil spec'd by Mopar. They wanted something that was shear stable. I know they made a 5 gallon pail of it but not sure about more than that. If you call them, they can probably blend it for you and ship it within a day or two.

The No VII 10W-40 was created by request of someone with a 3rd gen Ecodiesel. Those engines won't tolerate CK-4 oils. They're have a lot of bearing failures from dealerships putting in Rotella instead of the MS-12291 oil spec'd by Mopar. They wanted something that was shear stable. I know they made a 5 gallon pail of it but not sure about more than that. If you call them, they can probably blend it for you and ship it within a day or two.
Try that when calling XOM or RDS and tell everyone how it went 🤣

There’s benefits to both consumer & company when the company is reputable, honest, flexible, and responsive. HPL nails them all!

The No VII 10W-40 was created by request of someone with a 3rd gen Ecodiesel. Those engines won't tolerate CK-4 oils. They're have a lot of bearing failures from dealerships putting in Rotella instead of the MS-12291 oil spec'd by Mopar.
What was bad or different about the Rotella that was causing bearing failures? What viscosity Rotella was being used?

What was bad or different about the Rotella that was causing bearing failures? What viscosity Rotella was being used?

Rotella T6 5W-40 and the main problem is shearing that's compromising the MOFT leading to failures such as this...

3rd Gen Ecodiesel bearing failure.jpeg

This only seen with Rotella and similar CK-4 oils installed by dealerships who aren't paying attention to the oil spec. That's also been causing issues with warranty claims as warranties are being initially denied based on service history showing the wrong spec oil, despite the dealership installing it. (though most are granted eventually) These failures seem to be non-existent with the proper spec'd oil, MS-12991. (which is essentially an ACEA A3/B4 5W-40) The Mopar 5W-40 is a relabel of Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40. People using Amsoil Euro 5W-40 and Signature HDMO 5W-40 aren't having these failures either. Good results with the HPL No VII 10W-40 also.

Last edited:
Rotella T6 5W-40 and the main problem is shearing that's compromising the MOFT leading to failures such as this...

View attachment 173262

This only seen with Rotella and similar CK-4 oils installed by dealerships who aren't paying attention to the oil spec. That's also been causing issues with warranty claims as warranties are being initially denied based on service history showing the wrong spec oil. These failures seem to be non-existent with the proper spec'd oil, MS-12991. (which is essentially an ACEA A3/B4 5W-40) The Mopar 5W-40 is a relabel of Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40. People using Amsoil Euro 5W-40 and Signature HDMO 5W-40 aren't having these failures either. Good results with the HPL No VII 10W-40 also.
The obsession with Rotella diesel oil....

Wow! If the dealer puts the wrong oil in the engine, and the engine suffers damage, is the engine still covered under warranty? Is the dealership on the hook for repairs?

I don't understand why a dealership would use non-spec oil. Well, I suppose it's to save themselves a few $$$, but that seems like a short-sighted approach.

And some people don't think that HTHS and MOFT headroom matters ... 😄
On paper, I would think Rotella 5W-40 would have HTHS of at least 3.5, on par with the Pennzoil 5W-40. One difference is Rotella is CK-4 rated, and the Pennzoil product is A3/B4 with MS-12291.

Wow! If the dealer puts the wrong oil in the engine, and the engine suffers damage, is the engine still covered under warranty? Is the dealership on the hook for repairs?

I don't understand why a dealership would use non-spec oil. Well, I suppose it's to save themselves a few $$$, but that seems like a short-sighted approach.

Just the technician not paying attention to what oil the engine needs. They see a diesel and automatically put Rotella in it, not realizing it specs a different oil.

Just the technician not paying attention to what oil the engine needs. They see a diesel and automatically put Rotella in it, not realizing it specs a different oil.

I have a neighbor that uses Rotella oil in his diesel truck. I dont say a word, because he's stubborn and doesn't listen to anyone anyways. I think he also runs Rotella in his 460 powered truck.

I've learned to just not say a word, people are going to do what they want.

On paper, I would think Rotella 5W-40 would have HTHS of at least 3.5, on par with the Pennzoil 5W-40. One difference is Rotella is CK-4 rated, and the Pennzoil product is A3/B4 with MS-12291.
3.5 virgin HTHS doesn’t apply when you’re talking about used oil that’s loaded with sheared VII improvers. That’s when the thin base oil rears it’s ugly head and MOFT is not maintained.

3.5 virgin HTHS doesn’t apply when you’re talking about used oil that’s loaded with sheared VII improvers. That’s when the thin base oil rears it’s ugly head and MOFT is not maintained.
That would also apply to the Pennzoil product. Either A3/B4 or the MS-12291 must have better shear stability requirements than CK4.

That would also apply to the Pennzoil product. Either A3/B4 or the MS-12291 must have better shear stability requirements than CK4.
You’re assuming the Pennzoil is made with the same base oils. There’s no way to tell from looking at the bottle, but as Rdy4War showed, there’s plenty of proof that Rotella isn’t capable of maintaining MOFT in those engines.

You’re assuming the Pennzoil is made with the same base oils. There’s no way to tell from looking at the bottle, but as Rdy4War showed, there’s plenty of proof that Rotella isn’t capable of maintaining MOFT in those engines.
No i am not saying Pennzoil and Rotella are the same. They most definitely are not.

I am trying to determine why the Rotella shears in use and the other does not. They are both oils with HTHS of 3.5. One of the specs that Pennzoil has must call for greater shear stability.

Agreed. I am skeptical about this one - both oils are 5W40's with slightly different add packs. The ending used oil viscosity of Rotella 5W40 and various Euro 5W40's are fairly similar.

If the Euro 5W40 is truly solving an issue here, it is being driven by the add pack imo.

Back