High Performance Lubricants No VII series engine oils.

Looking at the HPL spec sheets, the xx-20 oils with the highest HTHS viscosity (the viscosity that actually matters) is the 10W-20 PCMO (2.861 cP HTHS) and the no-VII Euro 5W-20 (3.267 cP HTHS). That no-VII Euro 5W-20 has a KV (8.70 cSt) in the SAE 20 grade range, but a HTHS viscosity of a typical stout xx-30 grade.
I had put the No VII 5w20 Euro in the 2020 Transit Connect with the 2.0 Duratec we had. Was about 6k into the OCI when we sold it, so no objective data other than it didn’t use any oil at all during that time, and there was no mileage impact… although I attribute the latter more to my wife’s driving habits rather than the expected decrease caused by higher HTHS.

I’d routinely get 1.5-2 full mpg better than she did when we would drive equivalent distances and the same route (my numbers matching the EPA hwy numbers, hers much closer to all city driving). It appears she doesn’t understand the physics behind coasting 🤣

Last edited:
I’m about to buy a Honda lawn mower What oil should I Order for my first oil change
Thanks
What do you want to know? It starts off with their typically stout oil package, and then lumps in additional antioxidants to deal with the high temperatures and harsh environment. I’ve got it in my Ariens ZT and it’s been fine so far, 10w40 here but they’ve done a couple other grades IIRC.

What do you want to know? It starts off with their typically stout oil package, and then lumps in additional antioxidants to deal with the high temperatures and harsh environment. I’ve got it in my Ariens ZT and it’s been fine so far, 10w40 here but they’ve done a couple other grades IIRC.
Mainly is Honda oil worth ordering or is there a good off the shelf oil for an air cooled engine

Mainly is Honda oil worth ordering or is there a good off the shelf oil for an air cooled engine
Can’t say anything bad about Honda oil because I haven’t researched it. But I have used both Amsoil and HPL small-engine-specific oils and have nothing but praise for both of them. Either one is definitely top-shelf protection for hardworking air cooled engines.

Both of those companies also sell hydrostatic fluids, and while Amsoil performed well and looked brand new at 135 hours, the HPL hydro oil has less pump whine.

I’m probably over thinking the issue since I ran a Kubota lawn tractor for 22 years 14hp Kawasaki engine on off the shelf motor oil with no issues what so ever. But, I’d like to think an air cooled engine would benefit from a robust oil designed for the high temps

From what I understand, the main benefit of the "no vii" lineup is that it won't shear down. Shearing is only really a problem with trucks that work hard (tow) or if you track your car a lot, you can probably get away with using their cheapest PCMO, it's significantly cheaper and has the same cleaning ability etc.
The inexpensive PCMO is not GF6a / SP / D1 G3.
But I had my fingers crossed and toes too. 🤪

Wouldn’t call it junk but it’s just rebottled Phillips 66/Motorcraft with the Redline Label on the bottle
Maybe you missed the member quote above my 11:37AM post. That's the only reason I used the word 'junk'.
I'm much like you and can bear with the Phillips 66 ties to that particular Red Line oil grade / viscosity. I am fine with anyone running Dexos 1 oils, even though I only shop for SP cert oils for our HyunKia's..

Last edited:
I’m all good
Redline products in my opinion are top shelf
I use em all the time and will till I have a very good reason to not
So I’m 👍👍

Back