High performance lubricants oil

I’ve heard nothing but good about this oil here, can anyone give me some info about it? Im considering running it in my 2012 crew cab F150 with the 3.7 V6. Being a crew cab with the V6 it works pretty hard to push this truck and goes through a good but of fuel. Truck is paid off, going to hold on to it for now until I can afford a Raptor. I dont mind running a top tier oil in it. I bought the truck two years ago at 151k, it now has 209k and Ive run 5W20 only once, mostly 5W30 and 10W30 every 5k. I was considering HPL 10W30, even SAE 30 being I live in South Louisiana but Im worried about it messing with the Ti-vct system. Please dont tell me any off the shelf oil will work, Im well aware, lets stick to the topic of HPL oil.

Go for it, there's nothing but good said here about it. The only option I see is if you don't what to hear that any off the shelf oil will work, try their oil. I'm sure you'll be happy with your decision.

I'm running it in two of my vehicles and two of our golf carts. No noticeable difference versus the off the shelf brands. I will sample (not drain) at 15K miles so that will be my determining factor.

I wouldn't hesitate purchasing for your vehicle.

Read up on it. They offer several different products such as a common street oil, a higher performance version of the street oil and a race oil. So read what they have on their web page and then you go to another page to place your order.

Don't forget to enter "bitog15" when you place your order for a 15% discount.

I'm not really sure "info" you're seeking for here. You've heard the testimony of a few users. There are some UOAs also on the site. The PDSs are available on this site. What else were you looking for? HPLs products are top shelf; you're not going to hear anything bad about them.

Unless price is a point of contention. Because 5k mile OCIs with a super-premium lube is going to be very expensive. Given that you're averaging almost 30k miles a year, that 6 OCIs a year. I would STRONGLY recommend doing extended OCIs if you're going to use HPL.

That engine is a Cyclone-family product. Very easy on oil overall. Very reliable also. There's not really a need for anything special, so about the only way to reasonably have your choice pay off is to run the extended OCIs. Otherwise it's just a waste.

Given your climate, the engine, and how it's used, I would recommend HPL PCMO 10W-20. It's straight synthetic base oil with no VII polymer which will ensure excellent shear and thermal stability.

Given your engine's mileage and the strong cleaning properties of HPL's oils, I would recommend 7,500 miles for the first couple of oil changes before increasing to 10,000+ miles.

What are you expecting the HPL oil to do that the other oils that brought your engine to 209,000 miles ? You seem to have your mind made up already , why do you need affirmation? Have you thought about the rest of the drive train?

What are you expecting the HPL oil to do that the other oils that brought your engine to 209,000 miles ? You seem to have your mind made up already , why do you need affirmation? Have you thought about the rest of the drive train?

What do you expect healthier eating to do that McDonalds and KFC brought to your body the past 30 years? Just a metaphor to make a point. It's never too late to make a change for something better than the bare minimum standard.

I'll be the one to say the unpopular opinion here.

You always get advice to use oil that has the certifications your engine requires. HPL doesn't have any certifications my engine requires. I don't see an API Starburst on any of their bottles. Saying it "meets or exceeds" means nothing without an actual certification. Same goes for Amsoil signature series. I'm sure they are both probably good oils but I'll personally stick with what carries real certifications.

A very strange thing I've found about the HPL oils is it seems mainly staff members and a couple of longtime members here are using the oil. I don't know the history of the HPL company, maybe staff members here created it. Or maybe they're being given the oil for free or almost free as publicity. Almost $90 shipped for 6 quarts of their "cheap" oil and well over $100 for their expensive oil pushes this into unobtanium territory for most people here considering the push for short OCIs with the influx of GDI and TGDI engines.

I know this is going to be met with some sort of hostility but I'm fine with it because it is my opinion and I feel my reason is viable. Everyone has their own reason to use or not to use a specific oil and that's perfectly fine.

You always get advice to use oil that has the certifications your engine requires. HPL doesn't have any certifications my engine requires. I don't see an API Starburst on any of their bottles. Saying it "meets or exceeds" means nothing without an actual certification. Same goes for Amsoil signature series. I'm sure they are both probably good oils but I'll personally stick with what carries real certifications.

A very strange thing I've found about the HPL oils is it seems mainly staff members and a couple of longtime members here are using the oil. I don't know the history of the HPL company, maybe staff members here created it. Or maybe they're being given the oil for free or almost free as publicity. Almost $90 shipped for 6 quarts of their "cheap" oil and well over $100 for their expensive oil pushes this into unobtanium territory for most people here considering the push for short OCIs with the influx of GDI and TGDI engines.

I know this is going to be met with some sort of hostility but I'm fine with it because it is my opinion and I feel my reason is viable. Everyone has their own reason to use or not to use a specific oil and that's perfectly fine.
Their chief chemist (Leslie Rudnick) is a world renowned expert on lubrication. You'll see his name on tons of material referenced and provided by ExxonMobil. I made a thread on him a while back:

Personally, that's a big vote of confidence in the quality of product they are producing. If that isn't for you? That's fine!

I've always been a stickler for certifications and approvals, that's why I'm running a Euro 0w-40 instead of the SRT 0w-40 for example. For their 0w-40 (Supercar) product, HPL starts with an approved Euro additive package (VW, Porsche...etc), blends it with a selection of premium base oils (PAO, POE, AN's) and then manipulates it to meet their own performance targets, which may involve increasing some additive concentrations like moly for example.

So yes, you are quite right, their products sold are not formally approved. While they start with a selection of fully approved additive packages, modifications made to those would likely preclude them from obtaining an API license, though perhaps not some of the full-SAPS Euro approvals, if pursued.

One of the big ice breakers for me was that David, who participates on here under the company's account, @High Performance Lubricants is incredibly approachable and personable and will directly answer any questions you might have. I've spoken to him at some length multiple times on the phone. They are also very upfront about how their oils are blended, which is something we also seem to obsess about on here. Put those things together and well, why not support them?

On the money thing, Ravenol isn't cheap. In fact oil here in Canada isn't cheap unless you get it on sale at Canadian Tire/Partsource and that's still expensive compared to what you guys pay. I already have to order the Ravenol from the USA. The folks picking up PYB on clearance aren't the target audience with HPL, it's folks like myself who are already spending significant sums. Does that help?

The problem with certifications and API standards is they indirectly set a ceiling for standards as well. API is good for weeding out off-brand crap oils from sketchy gas stations. When it comes to high performance oils, API means nothing. Comparatively, API standards for wear, deposits, rust, foam, etc... are so abyssmal as to not be relevant when you're talking about maximizing the performance of the oil.

... I don't see an API Starburst on any of their bottles. Saying it "meets or exceeds" means nothing without an actual certification. Same goes for Amsoil signature series. I'm sure they are both probably good oils but I'll personally stick with what carries real certifications ....

... I know this is going to be met with some sort of hostility but I'm fine with it because it is my opinion and I feel my reason is viable. Everyone has their own reason to use or not to use a specific oil and that's perfectly fine.

Are you aware that API Certified lubricants typically have self reported data to EOLCS?

So, if you don't trust "meets, exceeds" from a responsible company, I see no reason to trust the API Donut either.
The data is coming from the same place. Some smaller companies without the extensive resources to acquire cert data would likely outsource the process to a third party. The API licensing fees are not particularly hefty - the cost is in the data acquisition. Maybe a lighter lift for small blenders would be to forgo the ILSAC and EC arm.
These are all good questions for the active HPL member, David.

I will state the "average Joe oil consumer" with a passenger car should always look for the API Starbust and Donut when purchasing oil - especially heretofore unheard of brands from some dusty service station shelf below the Twinkies and Slim Jim finger sausage display.
- Ken

Understandable.

A very strange thing I've found about the HPL oils is it seems mainly staff members and a couple of longtime members here are using the oil. I don't know the history of the HPL company, maybe staff members here created it. Or maybe they're being given the oil for free or almost free as publicity.
As far as I know, they were not giving out any free oil. On the other hand, Pennzoil did give some members free oil and free UOA kits.

Almost $90 shipped for 6 quarts of their "cheap" oil and well over $100 for their expensive oil pushes this into unobtanium territory for most people here considering the push for short OCIs with the influx of GDI and TGDI engines.
Considering the cost of fuel nowadays, even the most expensive engine oil is less than the cost of a tank of fuel.

Are you aware that API Certified lubricants typically have self reported data to EOLCS?

So, if you don't trust "meets, exceeds" from a responsible company, I see no reason to trust the API Donut either.
The data is coming from the same place. Some smaller companies without the extensive resources to acquire cert data would likely outsource the process to a third party. The API licensing fees are not particularly hefty - the cost is in the data acquisition. Maybe a lighter lift for small blenders would be to forgo the ILSAC and EC arm.

I will state the "average Joe oil consumer" with a passenger car should always look for the API Starbust and Donut when purchasing oil - especially heretofore unheard of brands from some dusty service station shelf below the Twinkies and Slim Jim finger sausage display.
- Ken
Yes, I personally consider the API approvals the bare minimum. The OEM Euro approvals, and even DEXOS, are more stringent.

As I saw it referenced on here many years ago, the API is the lobbying arm of the oil industry, and is comprised of the oil companies. ACEA is comprised of automotive and truck manufacturers. The Euro marques typically use an ACEA approval as foundational for their own approvals, adding more testing on top.

- Ken

So are you saying API certification is meaningless? Or is it only meaningless if we like the company producing the oil without the API certification?

Regarding HPL.. I did lose my T-shirt, but, I am down to my last half quart of product in their garage.

Here is that, in its native habitat. Minor surroundings..

Redline oils also dont have the "Starburst" but we aren't talking about them.

Taken just now, over lunch.

20220613_114328.jpg

20220613_114533.jpg
20220613_114551.jpg

Back