Walmart oil/filter changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2018 Kia Forte 2.0L MPI/GDI engine. Car is used for generally shorter, around town use. Currently has 7,300 miles with annual mileage running about 5,000. Had first oil change at Kia dealer around 2,300 miles (oil unknown). I'm not happy with the dealer because:

• At my last visit they strongly recommended a $200 fuel injector cleaning for my Kia Sorento with 40K miles. They said check your owner's manual. I did and it wasn't there (which I expected).
  • When I had the two Kias I went there roughly every six months. Just about every time there were completely new service reps.
  • They're extremely slow - always 60-90 min for oil change.

So the plan is to only visit the Kia dealer for TSB's and have oil changes and tire rotations done at Walmart (no experience there). I want valid oil change records so not currently interested in DIY.

Oil recommendations from the owner's manual: 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30 API SM / ILSAC GF-4 or above.

We live in north Florida with winter lows in the 40's and summer highs in low 90's. Car will seldom leave this area. I'm thinking maybe a good 10W-30?

I'm open to any recommendations regarding Walmart service, oil type and filter type.

Thanks.

Since this is BITOG, have you considered doing the job yourself? That way you know exactly what is in the sump and you can take pride in a job well done.

I'd rather not, for two main reasons: 1) I want to have valid service receipts for the vehicle warranty. 2) I don't want to screw anything up.

Even if you don't do the job yourself - you are right on track with a 10w-30 for your climate.

I'd shy away from Walmart just because you are going to have to deal with heavy turnover with staff there as well.

IMO - finding an independent mechanic you can trust is critical if you aren't going to be conducting regular maintenance yourself.

From a DIY perspective, a Hyundai/Kia filter and 6quarts of Chevron ProDS full synthetic 10w-30 will run you less than $30 with tax, all in.

I keep my owners manuals (with service interval boxes checked off) and receipts in a Manila envelope in a safe with the rest of my "important papers." Magnuson-Moss are easy to learn buzzwords if any dealer starts moaning about warranty service.

Last edited:
My girlfriend gets WM oil changes using their low end ST hi mileage/syn. I usually get in fights with their service writer by requesting 5w30 for her 17 Optima 2.4. The oil cap says 5w20 so they always try to push for this. The last service writer said it would start better with 5w20. I told him 5w is 5w. Think the stated capacity is 5.1 quarts and they always up charge a small amount for the extra .1 qt so I'm guessing they're meticulous about putting in the stated capacity of oil. it's usually over filled (not enough to make a difference) and my guess is they change so quickly that they don't completely drain the old oil. That and their standard Fram filter is slightly smaller than the OEM.

I have some oil change coupons at a tire store that is Valvoline conventional (really VWB semi-syn). It's usually right on the full line, probably because they let it drain while the tires are rotated (as part of $10 oil change price). New prices have doubled and when I run out of coupons, I very well may go to WalMart either for the twenty buck QS or the thirty+ buck ST HM change.

WM does have a dirt cheap induction service using (I believe) Valvoline's technology. Think it's really cheap when combined with a $30 Pennzoil oil change. Never used it, but it runs about 20% of a dealer induction. Don't know if their techs handle that service adequately, but other than a slight over fill and fighting with the service writer about 5w30, they don't seem to be that bad.

I've had over fills on dealer changes too, and the typical dealership doesn't assign the sharpest minds to oil changes either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Oil_Rookie
I'd rather not, for two main reasons: 1) I want to have valid service receipts for the vehicle warranty. 2) I don't want to screw anything up.

I would then consider a Valvoline Instant Oil Change center if you have one nearby. The members here that have used them have reported good service. You see what's being done and the techs communicate everything with you.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Oil_Rookie

I would then consider a Valvoline Instant Oil Change center if you have one nearby. The members here that have used them have reported good service. You see what's being done and the techs communicate everything with you.

I've used VIOC a lot in the past. Think their prices have gone up in last few years (although some carry signs stating they'll match prices). Think you could get the ST Syn/Hi Miileage change for less than VWB. I know they can't match the $20 QS basic price.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Thanks for your suggestion. Just checked for nearest location - sorry to say it's 2.5 hours away in southern Georgia.

I'd go 5w-30, keep the receipts, and even provide a Hyundai/KIA oil filter to them to install. To me, the only thing worse than the monkey that overcranks a drain plug, is the crappy cheap filters those types of places use.

Originally Posted by BLND1
Even if you don't do the job yourself - you are right on track with a 10w-30 for your climate.

I'd shy away from Walmart just because you are going to have to deal with heavy turnover with staff there as well.

IMO - finding an independent mechanic you can trust is critical if you aren't going to be conducting regular maintenance yourself.

I agree 100%. If you aren't gonna be doing basic maintenance you need to find a local garage. Ask around and find reputable one.
They will probably let you bring your own oil and filter. A local shop will help you keep an eye on things as well.

I'm not knocking Walmart at all. I just think you will be better served when you need future repairs. And we all will need future repairs.

My respectful 2¢: Find a local mechanic with an orderly shop to do this work.

It takes effort. Simply asking a slew of friends and nearby strangers will take time and effort but likely will provide a good recommendation.

Maybe asking the more senior looking guys at a GOOD parts shop for a local mechanic they know which has a good track record.

Providing a Hyundai filter to some third party is a good idea but cuts deeply into any savings.

Go on Yelp and find an indie shop that will work on your car brand. Avoid shops like Walmart and instant oil change places like Jiffy Lube.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

A bit more info:
-- Cost is not an issue. I understand the importance of good vehicle maintenance. And oil changes for this car are infrequent.

-- The two local car repair shops have mixed reviews.

-- Recommendation from local NAPA store: a semi-retired gentleman who used to run a local gas/service station. He works out of his rundown garage. Any oil you want as long as it's Prime Series 10W-40. Filter is Parts Master. Yikes.

Hence Walmart.

Last edited:
Go to the dealer, how much do they charge and is it closer? Then there is the dealer receipt, you are in the computer, and you know they used the right filter and oil. Tell them oil change only.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Go to the dealer, how much do they charge and is it closer? Then there is the dealer receipt, you are in the computer, and you know they used the right filter and oil. Tell them oil change only.

+Walmart doesn't upsell unlike dealer
+Walmart oil change is half as much
+I make .pdf's of all receipts, so I have proof of everything
+Dealer has same dim bulb techs doing oil changes, maybe worse.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Farnsworth

At my Stealership for the Duramax that would be $129 and tax. I can DIY for under $50.

my passat always goes to the vw dealer for its regular 10k mile service, not much choice in its locale for vw servicing and this dealer is ok.

my yaris goes to a goodyear tire chain store (superior tire, out west) for 18 month/3500ish mile oil changes. the yaris was getting $20 kendall, now gets $22 valvoline: semisynthetic oil/filter change, tire rotation and general look-see, a better deal than walmart and i can make an appointment for a 30 minute no-fuss, no-upsell job. a widespread franchise gives me some confidence in a job done to a standard and they have my yaris in their records so i keep getting discount coupons. perhaps o.p. can find a nearby and decent firestone or goodyear franchise?

Quaker State and possibly Pennzoil have oil change centers as well.
Some service stations still do repairs and oil changes. Not the cheapest but
at least they are or can look for other problems.

My 2¢

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back