KIA Turbo oil

Gotta have a backup for when the BMW is broken down. 😋
I need a larger suv when I drive to my son Jon's house in Denver or to Cape Coral condo, for cargo space.
BMW 3 Series smaller cargo compacity. Also not as comfortable on long drives.

Took my 2019 Frontier to the dealer for a full synthetic oil change that was the months special.It was the last day to get it and the tech said all they had was 0-20 synthetic oil left when it called for 5-20.I told him sure that was fine so they threw in a free tire rotation.

Took my 2019 Frontier to the dealer for a full synthetic oil change that was the months special.It was the last day to get it and the tech said all they had was 0-20 synthetic oil left when it called for 5-20.I told him sure that was fine so they threw in a free tire rotation.
That's fine that's a naturally aspirated engine that calls for Xw20, OP made the right call here in having the dealer put the correct oil in, given Hyundai's track record on turbo engines I wouldn't ever go thinner, now do I think any damage was done in 250miles, no, but I wouldn't run 20 grade in a Hyundai turbo engine.

My concern is ->> was there any damage by running the lower viscosity oil for 260 miles?
If you were driving it normally on the street I wouldn't worry about it. If you did track days then maybe a different story.

highly unlikely you could do much damage in less than 300 miles.
But now any problems that do arrive on your car the 0w20 will surely be to blame !

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Honda and VW but use 0w20 in their turbocharged engines without issue. Now maybe Kia engines are much more delicate or brittle requiring a 5w30 but I don't believe it.

As for using thicker oil than initially specd I run 5w30 in my Mazda cx5 without issue. I'm not too concerned about sub zero freezing temps, but I am concerned when it's 115 out here in Las Vegas.

Kia 2021 Sorento SX-XLine 2.5 Turbo. Had my 6000 mile service. They put in 0w-20 Synthetic oil. Manual calls for 0w-30. I drove 250 miles than re-serviced to 0w-30. (Note: KIA same non turbo engine calls for 0w-20.) My oil cap imprinted with "0w-30 OIL".

Was there any damage to engine or turbo
I just purchased a 2022 in this same above configuration but in AWD. Just purchased the OEM filter ($12 dealer) and began looking for Castrol Edge 0W-30 oil and it ain't happening. Seems like Edge is in 0W-20 oil (which I ran in the wife's 2014 Rogue for 140K miles flawlessly till we traded for the Sorento) or 5W-30. Living in TN with our semi-mild winters, I think I'd be fine at 5W-30 with an OCI of 4K miles. Plan on changing it out after 1K miles or so (maybe 2K). Holy cow this engine is super strong and the DCT is FUN!

OP: Given how hard these turbo engines are on oil, I'd want to get that 0W-20 oil out sooner rather than later and use the 0W-30 oils (whatever your preferred brand of synthetic oil happens to be).

Thoughts?

Last edited:
My Gen Coupe 2L turbo came from Hyundai with 5w20. They quickly changed that then next year to a variety of weights depending on the local climate. Up to a x60w in Saudi Arabia. I've used 0w40 and 5w30. Currently on 5w30 but will go back to the 0w40 again.

Kia 2021 Sorento SX-XLine 2.5 Turbo. Had my 6000 mile service. They put in 0w-20 Synthetic oil. Manual calls for 0w-30. I drove 250 miles than re-serviced to 0w-30. (Note: KIA same non turbo engine calls for 0w-20.) My oil cap imprinted with "0w-30 OIL".

Was there any damage to engine or turbo?
*You should not have to remind the Dealer to put in the correct weight oil - it's stamped right on the Oil Cap ! ... Still it happens .

The question is why does Kia recommend 30wt oil when all the other manufactures spec 20wts on their turbo engines?
Does Kia not have confidence in their engine designs?

The question is why does Kia recommend 30wt oil when all the other manufactures spec 20wts on their turbo engines?
Does Kia not have confidence in their engine designs?
Now all of a sudden the recommendation to use a higher HT/HS oil is somehow a detriment and a negative perception.

Perhaps they are less interested in "adequate under most circumstances" than other manufacturers.

I'd check back with the dealer to make sure they used that, most times I've found the person just enters it into the system wrong but the technician actually used the correct oil. If in fact they used the incorrect oil they should be willing to change it again with the correct oil at no cost.

Back