KIA Turbo oil

The question is why does Kia recommend 30wt oil when all the other manufactures spec 20wts on their turbo engines?
Does Kia not have confidence in their engine designs?
Other manufacturers - like Ford - specs xW-30 on their turboed vehicles.

Now all of a sudden the recommendation to use a higher HT/HS oil is somehow a detriment and a negative perception.

Perhaps they are less interested in "adequate under most circumstances" than other manufacturers.
H/K has a record of recommending thicker oil as a band aid fix.
Engines that are truly capable of running on thinner viscosoties are probably better designed anyway.

Get it out sooner rater then later. 60/40 chance it is a blend. We are talking Hyundai. NEVER trust what they "said" they put in it. That is why I laugh when Hyundai said they were offering free oil changes "for a turbo" for what ever time frame. 80% you will get the wrong bulk oil, and they will make you run it longer then you should just to get it free. Unless you are driving a naturally aspirated car from Hyundai I would pass on them changing your oil. ZERO trust.

All Hyundai/Kia AWD owners, change out your rear diff oil at 10,000 NO MATTER WHAT the service manager tells you.

H/K has a record of recommending thicker oil as a band aid fix.
Engines that are truly capable of running on thinner viscosoties are probably better designed anyway.
I'll certainly agree that no oil is capable of correcting a mechanical defect.

Last edited:
Japanese Turbo's spec 20wts
Nissan recomends 0w20 for the 400hp VR30DDTT
Which may be fine as long as they can keep oil temperatures under control and low enough to keep an adequate HTHS and MOFT between parts. It's all about those two critical factors.

Which may be fine as long as they can keep oil temperatures under control and low enough to keep an adequate HTHS and MOFT between parts. It's all about those two critical factors.
Yeah from what I read the oil temps on the Nissan 3.0tt are kept around 160-180F. Which I guess makes sense to prevent the 0w20 from shearing too quickly.

Use 0W30 D1 / G3 GF-6 synthetic oil of your choice ... I believe the same in 5W30 should also be allowed.

Attachments

• 507494280_KiaMegaTurboSyn0W-30APISNACEAC205100-00171(VOABASE).jpg.463fc06fb3f92f4b83da392056c9...jpg
    507494280_KiaMegaTurboSyn0W-30APISNACEAC205100-00171(VOABASE).jpg.463fc06fb3f92f4b83da392056c9...jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 35
Took my 2019 Frontier to the dealer for a full synthetic oil change that was the months special.It was the last day to get it and the tech said all they had was 0-20 synthetic oil left when it called for 5-20.I told him sure that was fine so they threw in a free tire rotation.
I have posted this before, but I changed the oil in my neighbors 2017 Frontier at 23K.....factory oil and filter..........

It gets worse, he tows a trailer loaded out with riding lawnmowers, etc. Weird thing is, he's always servicing his lawn/landscape equipment. Oil, grease, sharpening blades, etc. but gave zero mind to the new truck he bought. Baffling.

Anyway, I changed his oil and told him he needs to do at minimum 7500K OCI. Also, I discussed the transmission with him. He had gone to Walmart and gotten a 5QT jug of Supertech 5W-20 Synthetic and a Supertech filter. (9688 I think?) His vehicle takes 6 quarts I told him. I gave him a quart I had in stash.

About 10K later, I got him to let me change it again. Cut open the Supertech filter and it had tears in filter media by the seam.

We moved in 2019, but we still keep in touch. Truck still going in April 2022 when I spoke to him last. Seems those trucks and engines are built tough. Good thing.

Back