KIA Turbo oil

Kia 2021 Sorento SX-XLine 2.5 Turbo. Had my 6000 mile service. They put in 0w-20 Synthetic oil. Manual calls for 0w-30. I drove 250 miles than re-serviced to 0w-30. (Note: KIA same non turbo engine calls for 0w-20.) My oil cap imprinted with "0w-30 OIL".

Was there any damage to engine or turbo?

Last edited:
You never want to use thicker than recommended oil in a newer engine. The tolorances are too tight. Use the right oil and enjoy your engine that runs 300K.
Nah, I'm pretty sure someone here with access to TSBs said that even though it's not printed in the manual you can use all the way up to 20W50 in these based on service bulletins from Hyundai, and I recall that in the past Hyundai had originally said to use 5W30 as the recommended grade in some of their turbo engines but on a later TSB they recommended 5W40.

Kia 2021 Sorento SX-XLine 2.5 Turbo. Had my 6000 mile service. They put in 0w-20 Synthetic oil. Manual calls for 0w-30. I drove 250 miles than re-serviced to 0w-30. (Note: KIA same non turbo engine calls for 0w-20.) My oil cap imprinted with "0w-30 OIL".

Was there any damage to engine or turbo?
My concern is ->> was there any damage by running the lower viscosity oil for 260 miles?<<-

My concern is ->> was there any damage by running the lower viscosity oil for 260 miles?
Depends on how you drove that distance. If towed, was fully loaded, or hauled a$$ like a street racer - then I doubt you'll see issues now, but they will come soon after warranty is over. If typical daily driver light duty, the keep on rolling and don't worry.

My concern is ->> was there any damage by running the lower viscosity oil for 260 miles?
I doubt it. Your TGDI is probably turning the 0w30 to 0w20 after 5000mi and then you drive another 2500-5000mi before the oil change without even thinking about it

Same exact thing happened to the wife’s 2021 Kona 1.6T. She had it changed at a dealer on Tacoma, and I didn’t notice the invoice until we got back to Arkansastan, not to mention the driving she did while there. I hosed it out and put in castrol LL 5w-30 euro. It goes for service here and it’s gonna be brought up.

You never want to use thicker than recommended oil in a newer engine. The tolorances are too tight. Use the right oil and enjoy your engine that runs 300K.
32012159732_278e76d4c4_b.jpg

How would anyone on the internet know If there was or not?
I was referring to any technical or sigentific information that supports the use of either of these grades as allowable substitutions of either one.

Last edited:
Back