Hyundai/Kia 2.5 Turbo oil

Hi. First post here but read a lot before.

I am a shop owner and need to ask a question about oil for the Hyundai/Kia 2.5 turbo engine. I have a customer that bought a Santa Cruz with that engine. The oil filler cap, owner manual and Prodemand says it needs 0W30 API SN+ engine oil. As I am planning to make his first oil change, I asked a service advisor at our local Hyundai dealer about oil and how much they charge for it. I was surprised by his answer. He told me that in every Hyundai turbo engine, they are using Pennzoil full synthetic 5W40 viscosity. I asked why and he said that they didn’t want to stock another oil type and that Hyundai was fine with that.

Isn’t that confusing?

Thanks

Olivier

Hi. First post here but read a lot before.

I am a shop owner and need to ask a question about oil for the Hyundai/Kia 2.5 turbo engine. I have a customer that bought a Santa Cruz with that engine. The oil filler cap, owner manual and Prodemand says it needs 0W30 API SN+ engine oil. As I am planning to make his first oil change, I asked a service advisor at our local Hyundai dealer about oil and how much they charge for it. I was surprised by his answer. He told me that in every Hyundai turbo engine, they are using Pennzoil full synthetic 5W40 viscosity. I asked why and he said that they didn’t want to stock another oil type and that Hyundai was fine with that.

Isn’t that confusing?

Thanks

Olivier
Actually, I would use something like that, meaning Euro oil.

To me it’s the explanation that seems dumb. If Hyundai knows that 0W30 oil isn’t good, they would have published a TSB, modifiy the owner’s manual, etc.

To me it’s the explanation that seems dumb. If Hyundai knows that 0W30 oil isn’t good, they would have published a TSB, modifiy the owner’s manual, etc.
IMO the dealer isn't out of line. Maybe someone there actually knows something about oil.

You're splitting hairs between a Euro 0W-30 and 5W-40.

Even going from an ILSAC 0W-30 to a Euro 5W-40 isn't that great a jump, and would be a worthwhile upgrade.

IMO the dealer isn't out of line. Maybe someone there actually knows something about oil.

You're splitting hairs between a Euro 0W-30 and 5W-40.

Even going from an ILSAC 0W-30 to a Euro 5W-40 isn't that great a jump, and would be a worthwhile upgrade.
To save me from problems with Hyundai and the customer, if engine problems occurs, I think that I will put 0W30 oil in that car for warranty purposes, unless they can give me the proof from Hyundai Canada that 5w40 oil is fine.

To me, thinner oil isn’t a good option for longevity. But the question is more about the warranty of the car.

To save me from problems with Hyundai and the customer, if engine problems occurs, I think that I will put 0W30 oil in that car for warranty purposes, unless they can give me the proof from Hyundai Canada that 5w40 oil is fine.

To me, thinner oil isn’t a good option for longevity. But the question is more about the warranty of the car.
I think you're doing the right thing, since this is a customer's vehicle.

I have an 2016 Hyundai turbo. The owners manual states to use a 5W-40 oil. And that is what I use. Currently using Quaker State Euro 5-40. BTW oil filler cap states 5W-30.

I have an 2016 Hyundai turbo. The owners manual states to use a 5W-40 oil. And that is what I use. Currently using Quaker State Euro 5-40. BTW oil filler cap states 5W-30.
What model/engine you have? Newer engines with direct injection and multi point injection combined requires thinner oil per manufacturer specs. I was asking only for warranty purposes.

Your thinking warranty may be a problem and the dealer is using 5w-40?
The dealer can do what he wants. It’s his problem if they can’t honour their own warranty.

I don’t want to harm my customer’s warranty for that. If she has problems with the engine and Hyundai Canada asks for maintenance proofs and invoices, I am 100% sure they will say that we put the wrong oil in that!

What I don’t understand is that the service director at the Hyundai dealer says that they don’t use 0w30 because they don’t have space to keep one more oil grade on their shelves…

F76E45C0-1290-43E0-9F29-FEE35940BC18.jpeg

Hyundai is weird. They spec 5w20 and 5w30 concurrently in the Theta II. The oil cap says 5w20, but all of the bulletins that have to do with the engine problems they have spec QS full syn 5w30 for top up and refill. Personally, I run 5w40 in both of mine, but with the 2.5 being a whole different animal, and only having one spec, I know at the shop we'd only put in what the owners manual specifies, if only to avoid potential warranty blowback down the road. Will 0w / 5w40 hurt it? Probably the opposite, but that dealer is gambling with house money; you're gambling your own.

The 2.5 turbo recommends 0w30 current API specs.

The options are either Mobil1 AFE or Fram synthetic.

If you overlook the API, you can use the Mobil1 ESP, Castrol, Pennzoil.... 0w30 Euro oils. Make sure the receipt you provide the customer states 0w30 synthetic and nothing about European.

If no one is looking, any current spec synthetic 5w30 is another choice. Just don't put it on the receipt.

If it were mine, I'd use any 0w40 or 5w40 and thumb my nose at Hyundai's enviro MPG greenie CAFE addicts.

Hyundai is not fine with anything other than what they put in writing. Have the dealer PROVE it with a bulletin and/or letter stating 5w40 is OK for their newer 2.5T engines. And, never trust a dealership employed clown, especially clueless techs and service writers.

The non-turbo 2.5 gets 0w20. The turbo 2.5 gets 0w30. Anything else is YOUR RISK.

Back