Incorrect oil installed - now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Oil_Rookie
Originally Posted by TiGeo
Seriously, this is easy. Either 1) DIY or 2) have it changed out at a place that will use the correct oil etc. and chalk up the little bit of money lost to life. 10W40 is ancient and while you motor isn't going to grenade, I'd change it for the correct oil type and weight. The leak is likely just the crush washer that wasn't changed out.

The plan is to head to Walmart tomorrow and to replace the oil and filter. I'll ask about a drain plug gasket. We'll see how that goes. I hope it's a good experience.

The leak: I idled the engine for 30 min this a.m. There was a bit of leakage below the drain plug and below the oil fill cap but it stopped and that was it. I drove it 5 miles getting it up to 45 m.p.h, stopped a few times, saw no leak. Back in the garage I'm getting a drop below the drain plug once every couple of hours. I think it will hold up for the 40 miles to Walmart.

For those who have asked why I had it serviced where I did, why I allowed this to happen, why don't I know whether the out-of-spec 10W-40 needs to be replaced now or in a few thousand miles, all I can tell you is what I've posted here - I screwed up, was uneducated about motor oil, didn't know the proper requirements, took a chance on a local mechanic, etc., etc.

I thank ALL that have replied and offered comments and suggestions. Hopefully this thread will help other 'rookies' service their vehicle(s) the right way.

Do you happen to have a neighbor that can quickly crawl under and see if that drain plug is snug enough to go 40 miles? Just a thought...

Anyhow, you have a good plan and I hope it all works-out. Keep an eye on your oil light. If it goes red, pull over fast as you can, turn off engine and call a tow truck. Let us know how it all turns-out.

Ray

Originally Posted by tiger862
Alot of people will tell you not to worry but you are under warranty and an engine that is known to have problems so I would definitely get it corrected.

I'd like to get more information on this. What type of problems does this engine usually have? What are the symptoms? When does it usually occur, e.g. age, mileage? Is it usually covered by the 100K powertrain warranty?

Any info appreciated.

Originally Posted by tiger862
Alot of people will tell you not to worry but you are under warranty and an engine that is known to have problems so I would definitely get it corrected.

I'd like to get more information on this. What type of problems does this engine usually have? What are the symptoms? When does it usually occur, e.g. age, mileage? Is it usually covered by the 100K powertrain warranty?

Any info appreciated.

2010-2015 2.4 Theta II motors had some manufacturing issues I believe.
I think it was sorted out by 2016 though.

You live in FL., a state that's hot as HADES. If your vehicle is under warranty and something happens to it oil related (which I have yet to read on this site about any engine) then you have problems if they can show it's 10W40. Otherwise, just run it.
I lived in Tampa, FL. for 25 years and 75% of the time I ran 10WXX oils in my vehicles that spec'd 5WXX.
Are you able to do an OCI? If so, do it yourself if it will make you sleep better at night.

tiger862 said:

I'd like to get more information on this. What type of problems does this engine usually have? What are the symptoms? When does it usually occur, e.g. age, mileage?

They are being sued for engine fires that happen between 2011 all the way through 2019.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
You live in FL., a state that's hot as HADES.

There's no real physical fire in Hades anymore. When the 7th of the greatest master thieves you've ever heard of entered that place, they stole all the matches and lighters. Now they use them as ransom to get ice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back