Incorrect oil installed - now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Oil_Rookie

Lesson learned. This is totally my screw-up. I should have known what the vehicle requires and either brought it with me or stuck with the dealer (where I was assuming the right thing was done).

No it's not, when you go to a professional they should fix your car right.

I'm a little worried about your drain plug-- a few drops on the frame or oil pan after a change are normal but if it's dripping on your driveway something's awfully wrong.

I would frankly go to walmart for your oil changes-- they have better insurance and you can pick bulk or bottled.

Originally Posted by tiger862
I would bring it back and have him correct the oil change. ... A lot of people will tell you not to worry but you are under warranty and an engine that is known to have problems so I would definitely get it corrected.

This.

Originally Posted by eljefino

Lesson learned. This is totally my screw-up. I should have known what the vehicle requires and either brought it with me or stuck with the dealer (where I was assuming the right thing was done).

No it's not, when you go to a professional they should fix your car right.

I'm a little worried about your drain plug-- a few drops on the frame or oil pan after a change are normal but if it's dripping on your driveway something's awfully wrong.

I would frankly go to walmart for your oil changes-- they have better insurance and you can pick bulk or bottled.

Plus they will use be something with today's ratings and correct viscosity.

Originally Posted by RayCJ
You're not in any immediate danger. How do you know for certain the wrong oil was used? Do you have written proof/documentation of that? Have you called the service manager about this yet?

In your shoes, I would request the service manager to correct the mistake and schedule a no-charge appointment. When they do the work, watch from an observation window if they have one.

Ray

The mechanic is an elderly, semi-retired follow that was recommended by the local NAPA dealer. He used to own the local Chevron when it was a full-service station. It turns out that's the only oil he carries. The filter is a Parts Master. When I checked that I found a small puddle of oil pretty much under the drain plug. It seems to be new oil so I'll be watching that. I'm leaning towards replacing the oil/filter and getting a new drain plug gasket (I'm learning...).

The mechanic works out of an old building on his property. He doesn't have room to stock the need oil and filters. So it's 10W-40 or nothing.

If you want to use this mechanic I would go back with the oil you want in it and ask him kindly to change it. That could be the method to use for future visits as well.

Oil_Rookie said:

Yes, me too. That's the main concern right now. I hope to figure out where it's coming from. I'm also trying to decide whether to get the 17mm wrench to check the drain plug or use an adjustable.

Oil_Rookie said:

I like that suggestion. You can pick your oil/filter. That's also an hour away but we go to that area to do other shopping. My wife can shop there while the car is serviced instead of sitting for an hour at the dealership. But I need to resolve the leak before I commit to driving that far.

Best would be a 17mm wrench to prevent rounding off. Try giving it some torque. If you're gonna give the guy your business give him your oil and filter.

I've discovered that our 2016 Sorento received the incorrect oil today when serviced by a local mechanic. The owner's manual recommends 5W-20, 5W-30 or 10W-30. The mechanic used Prime 10W-40 (and a filter I've never heard of). Our cars have always been dealer-maintained but the dealership is over an hour away so it's a bit inconvenient. I want to do the oil/filter changes myself now and have been researching that and in doing so found this forum.

We live in Florida so based on what I've learned so far I think the 5W-30 or 10W-30 may be the best for the climate here. But the main question at hand is whether I should replace the 10W-40 immediately or let it go for one or two thousand miles. Mileage is 44K which is roughly 9/10K per year.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

-------------------------------------
2016 Kia Sorento 2.4L - dealer maintained (until today)
2018 Kia Forte 2.0L - dealer maintained

You are supposed to question what brands you are getting, prior to the purchase. Then tell the shop manager what viscosities your engine calls for. Then look at the physical results afterwards, mainly leaks, dipstick level and over-tightening.

I know - It's a rookie mistake (see screen name) and sure glad you caught some of it and will get it corrected eventually.

Personally, I would slowly unscrew the oil pan bolt - let out a couple quarts and add two quarts of 0W20. I've blended different oils for over 30 years. It will NOT harm your engine to blend this one instance..... or even 10 consecutive instances.

The mechanic works out of an old building on his property. He doesn't have room to stock the need oil and filters. So it's 10W-40 or nothing.

The drain plug is leaking on a 2016? Did he lose the gasket? Forget to tighten it? Ya, I wouldn't bring my car back there again. Ever.
I think you would be better off with a quicklube place or walmart. At least they would have the right type of oil and filter. And insurance.

Yep, say bye-bye to that place. Do it yourself. Take your time and over-think the process. Prepare yourself beforehand for spill-cleanup tools.
Faster the new oil running down the driveway gets cleaned up, the lesser the mess. It's usually the filter that's at-fault, or should I say the person that screwed-on that filter?.....lol

Don't let your working arm-elbow get in the way of that plastic oil catcher either. I've made a mess doing that too.

Last edited:
On a Kia it likely has a crush washer that was not torqued down and is leaking.

Surely there are other options besides this past his prime mechanic to service your car?

As stated before you will be better served going to ANY quick lube chain place than this guy. Even walmart was mentioned and that recommendation is correct, you will get oil in the correct viscosity and service grade.

Look around on groupon or your grocery store coupons, we have tons of coupons for Valvoline, Jiffy Lube, Castrol Quick Lube, Firestone, etc..

The main thing is that a chain place is going to own up to a problem (maybe), and this shade tree mechanic probably is not going to.

My 2019 Hyundai 2.4 (same as Kia) did not come with a oil pan bolt washer. No leaks yet, even after doing another OCI myself. I did buy a 10-pk of washers prior. But never opened the bag yet.

The mechanic used Prime 10W-40 (and a filter I've never heard of).

Any feedback would be appreciated.

-------------------------------------
2016 Kia Sorento 2.4L - dealer maintained (until today)
2018 Kia Forte 2.0L - dealer maintained

Get a bottle and take a good picture, post it, and maybe we can determine who really blends it.

Unfortunately there are a number of amateur blenders out there with less than optimum quality control.

Making things more complex is the fact that blenders can slap a label on a bottle for just about anyone with a contract.

Last edited:
How do you know what was put in it ? You saw the bottles, he wrote "Prime 10W-40" on the receipt ?

If he has little room to stock parts, including oil filters, I'm guessing he had a local parts store bring him that filter and they could have brought the oil as well. If so, while 10W-40 isn't what the owners manual says, for your climate, it's fine. It's also almost certainly a modern-grade of oil with up-to-date specs.

And you ask if you should change it now or in a couple thousand miles. If it's so concerning, why in the world would you even consider leaving it in for 2000 miles ?

Originally Posted by Rygrego
Not true according to the Magnuson-Moss act. If you're not familiar google it.

What are you referring to? In the case of oil changes, MM just says you don't have to use the manufactures oil/filters etc. to maintain your warranty and can take it where you want (or DIY), however, you do have to follow their guidelines i.e. correct oil, oil approvals etc.

Seriously, this is easy. Either 1) DIY or 2) have it changed out at a place that will use the correct oil etc. and chalk up the little bit of money lost to life. 10W40 is ancient and while you motor isn't going to grenade, I'd change it for the correct oil type and weight. The leak is likely just the crush washer that wasn't changed out.

Originally Posted by TiGeo
Seriously, this is easy. Either 1) DIY or 2) have it changed out at a place that will use the correct oil etc. and chalk up the little bit of money lost to life. 10W40 is ancient and while you motor isn't going to grenade, I'd change it for the correct oil type and weight. The leak is likely just the crush washer that wasn't changed out.

The plan is to head to Walmart tomorrow and to replace the oil and filter. I'll ask about a drain plug gasket. We'll see how that goes. I hope it's a good experience.

The leak: I idled the engine for 30 min this a.m. There was a bit of leakage below the drain plug and below the oil fill cap but it stopped and that was it. I drove it 5 miles getting it up to 45 m.p.h, stopped a few times, saw no leak. Back in the garage I'm getting a drop below the drain plug once every couple of hours. I think it will hold up for the 40 miles to Walmart.

For those who have asked why I had it serviced where I did, why I allowed this to happen, why don't I know whether the out-of-spec 10W-40 needs to be replaced now or in a few thousand miles, all I can tell you is what I've posted here - I screwed up, was uneducated about motor oil, didn't know the proper requirements, took a chance on a local mechanic, etc., etc.

I thank ALL that have replied and offered comments and suggestions. Hopefully this thread will help other 'rookies' service their vehicle(s) the right way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back