Kia changed oil viscosity recommendations

Maybe dig through stingerforum.org and sift through as much nonsense as you can. To my knowledge, the V6 is wholly unchanged since launch, minus a bit of ECU code and the valved mufflers. As already suggested, try some different oils and see if consumption rates change and definitely go with something HTHS 3.5+.

Kind of invalidates the whole purpose of posting the TSB and the initial questions.
I apologize for that, wasn't trying to be misleading. It still doesn't change the fact that Kia keeps changing their recommendations and would using a 50 weight oil do more harm or good. I'm just looking for a safe way to reduce the oil consumption.
Maybe dig through stingerforum.org and sift through as much nonsense as you can. To my knowledge, the V6 is wholly unchanged since launch, minus a bit of ECU code and the valved mufflers. As already suggested, try some different oils and see if consumption rates change and definitely go with something HTHS 3.5+.
Appreciate your help. Which oil would you recommend for my situation?

I apologize for that, wasn't trying to be misleading. It still doesn't change the fact that Kia keeps changing their recommendations and would using a 50 weight oil do more harm or good. I'm just looking for a safe way to reduce the oil consumption.

Appreciate your help. Which oil would you recommend for my situation?
You can try this:
Quaker State Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40 Motor Oil, 5-Quart
https://www.walmart.com/ip/737859365

Castrol 03037 Edge 5W-30 A3/B4 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 Quart, 3 Pack https://a.co/d/6MOWio7

As I mentioned also, Mobil1 0/5W40 FS.

At least they recommend 5w-30 for you. The 2023 Sportage list just 0w-20.

1657127106356.jpg

It is HTFS you need to maintain MOFT not KV100 viscosity.
There are all somewhat related in most cases, but the best you can glean from the oil spec data sheets is HTHS viscosity. No oil makers actually publishes HTFS viscosity data.

Last edited:
What was the oil consumption history before all the mods took place? If you're running more boost I'd think that has some bearing on oil consumption. You see an increase in catch-can oil volume after the boost was dialed up?

At least they recommend 5w-30 for you. The 2023 Sportage list just 0w-20.

1657139206144.jpg
The note at the bottom of the page gives the impression that the KIA engineers know all about viscosity, film thickness/MOFT and engine protection, but then buckle due to CAFE when they state the very last sentence which gives you one viscosity to choose from. 😄

Last edited:
What was the oil consumption history before all the mods took place? If you're running more boost I'd think that has some bearing on oil consumption. You see an increase in catch-can oil volume after the boost was dialed up?

I didn't notice oil consumption of any measurable amount until approx 29k miles. At the time I was using Amsoil SS 5w30. After 4k miles the dipstick reading was at L. I added 1/3qt and ran another 600 miles until OC. Mods at that time was a less aggressive chip tune, intake and catback exhaust. I had these mods for over 15k miles at that point.

Switched to Motul xcess 8100 5w40 as recommended by many tuned Stinger owners. Oil consumption slowed to the point that none had to be added. OC was done at 4.4k miles. I had upgraded to a more aggressive ECU tune while using this oil. Even with a more aggressive ECU tune I didn't have to add any oil.

Then came the high flow downpipes and with them oil consumption. I switched to PPE 5w40 because it carries a API SP rating and Motul only carries a SN rating. I can't say if less oil was consumed with Motul after the downpipe install. Because I changed to PPE a couple hundred miles after installing the downpipe.

This brings me back to consider trying a 50 weight oil since in the past I switched from 30 to 40 and observed a reduction in oil consumption. Will the same happen if I go from a 40 to a 50? Also will a 50 weight be to thick? Kia originally said a 50 weight was acceptable (temperature dependant) later to release a TSB changing their minds.

I guess I could run a 50 weight oil and see if there is a reduction in oil consumption. Send it out for UOA to check wear metals. I have read that thicker oils may interfere with the CVVT hydraulic system. And thicker oils may not lubricant a modern engine as well due to tighter tolerances. Just trying to avoid engine damage.

Last edited:
I guess I could run a 50 weight oil and see if there is a reduction in oil consumption. Send it out for UOA to check wear metals. I have read that thicker oils may interfere with the CVVT hydraulic system. And thicker oils may not lubricant a modern engine as well due to tighter tolerances. Just trying to avoid engine damage.
Again a UOA does not compare wear between oils. It’s not the tool for it and it is not capable of doing that.

And “tolerances” is completely irrelevant.

Switched to Motul xcess 8100 5w40 as recommended by many tuned Stinger owners. Oil consumption slowed to the point that none had to be added. OC was done at 4.4k miles. I had upgraded to a more aggressive ECU tune while using this oil. Even with a more aggressive ECU tune I didn't have to add any oil.

Then came the high flow downpipes and with them oil consumption. I switched to PPE 5w40 because it carries a API SP rating and Motul only carries a SN rating. I can't say if less oil was consumed with Motul after the downpipe install. Because I changed to PPE a couple hundred miles after installing the downpipe.

Like I mentioned earlier, that engine may not like certain oils. My Hayabusa use to noticeably burn Mobil 1 10W-40 m/c oil, but never any other 10W-40 m/c oils. All I could conclude is the engine just didn't sit well with Mobil 1 m/c oil.

You are making multiple changes which makes it hard to determine what's going on. Does Motul now have an API SN Plus or SP rated oil in a viscosity you could use?

Like I mentioned earlier, that engine may not like certain oils. My Hayabusa use to noticeably burn Mobil 1 10W-40 m/c oil, but never any other 10W-40 m/c oils. All I could conclude is the engine just didn't sit well with Mobil 1 m/c oil.

You are making multiple changes which makes it hard to determine what's going on. Does Motul now have an API SN Plus or SP rated oil in a viscosity you could use?
Looks like I need to do some trial and error to see which oil suits my engines needs best. Motul has a 5w30 with SP rating. When the Stinger was brand new I used M1 and then M1EP. I noticed a lot of soot around the exhaust tips. All the soot kinda turned me off of M1 products. I switched to Total Quartz because that is what Kia recommends and the levels of soot was definitely reduced. Thanks for the advice. Stupid question, what are m/c oils?

Back