VW approved oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was curious about which oil to use in my car so I asked my local dealership about it. They told me for a 2.0 engine, it does NOT require a VW approved engine oil. VW approved oil is only required for turbo engines. They said that the factory fill for a 2.0 engine is just a regular synthetic oil. Do you guys know about this?

Quote:

so I asked my local dealership about it

History has shown this is a poor decision.

IIRC Synpower 5W-30 also is approved; someone please chime in if I am wrong.

Last edited:
The 2.0l "should" use VW 502.00 mainly if your going to take it out to the 10k drain intervals stated in the owners handbook.

But if your doing 5k changes then almost any quality oil will do. It doesn't even really need to be synthetic if your not going past 5k. These engines are really easy on oil.

Him
BurgerMcDo - With respect the Dealsership is wrong! This is part of the reason why VW and MB paid millions out on a Class Action

Use what the Handbook says exclusively - insist that the Dealer does. If not then report them to VW NA!

Originally Posted By: ourfamo4
The 2.0l "should" use VW 502.00 mainly if your going to take it out to the 10k drain intervals stated in the owners handbook.

But if your doing 5k changes then almost any quality oil will do. It doesn't even really need to be synthetic if your not going past 5k. These engines are really easy on oil.

TRUE SAY!

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Him
BurgerMcDo - With respect the Dealsership is wrong! This is part of the reason why VW and MB paid millions out on a Class Action

Use what the Handbook says exclusively - insist that the Dealer does. If not then report them to VW NA!

^^ This!

Thank you for the comments and advices. BTW Advance Auto Parts has a promotion for Mobil 1 "5 qrts 0W-40 + Mobil 1 Oil filter for only $27.00 + tax."

Is Mobil 1 Oil Filter any good?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BurgerMcDo
Thank you for the comments and advices. BTW Advance Auto Parts has a promotion for Mobil 1 "5 qrts 0W-40 + Mobil 1 Oil filter for only $27.00 + tax."

Is Mobil 1 Oil Filter any good?

Mobil 1 filter is considered one of the best. Thats a good deal too, all for 27 bucks.

Originally Posted By: BurgerMcDo
I was curious about which oil to use in my car so I asked my local dealership about it. They told me for a 2.0 engine, it does NOT require a VW approved engine oil. VW approved oil is only required for turbo engines. They said that the factory fill for a 2.0 engine is just a regular synthetic oil. Do you guys know about this?

I'd go to another dealer. If my memory is correct (folks correct me if I'm wrong) VW specs all their cars of recent vintage as needing VW approved synthetic.

Here's a link I posted in another thread listing VW approved oils, based on vintage:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2237991

The 2.0, or 2.Slo, has been around VW a long time. Service duty requires only normal SJ oils, as per service manuals. The VW spec is for extended drains, which VW and other played with for the last 10 years. Extended drains have not fared well for many owners, and the dealer gave good advice.

To claim going by the manual is the only way to service vehicles neglects the fact there have been numerous oversights on the matter. Sludged engines are a regular occurance on BMW, TOYOTA, Audi, VW, Mercedes, Saabs and others. Quite often it is the result of "standard service" from the owner's manual.

Despite obsessive adherence to the manual by owners with the best of intentions, it is far from the final word on the matter. The document is contrived by marketing, customer relations, accounting and various executives whom know very little about the service cycles of the engine and oil. The actual engine developers have limited input.

The 2.0 itself can run on ANY otc oil, be there no doubt. Many un-speced oils far exceed the abilities of VW 502, a old spec from 1998. I would like to see ONE example of oil-related failure in a VW 2.0, I know of none, to the contrary.

Conveniently, there is a 2.0 UOA from an unspeced oil available to prove how superfluous the VW spec is...

PaulsOCI.jpg

Maybe the 2.Slo isn't very hard on oil afterall. It doesn't take much to understand the manual is useless, and in fact may do more harm than good.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1785906&#Post1785906

The Castrol EDGE 5W-30 I purchased for my BMW is VW 504 00/ 507 00 approved.

I bought it from German so I don't know if it's different in the US.

Originally Posted By: Takechan
The Castrol EDGE 5W-30 I purchased for my BMW is VW 504 00/ 507 00 approved.

I bought it from German so I don't know if it's different in the US.

Yes, unfortunately the US Edge is quite a bit different and doesn't meet any of the European engine specs.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

so I asked my local dealership about it

History has shown this is a poor decision.

IIRC Synpower 5W-30 also is approved; someone please chime in if I am wrong.

I looked into it.

Valvoline has more than one type of 5w30. One is simply an energy conserving 5w30 that you might use in an ordinary American or Japanese car. Then there is Valvoline MST and that has approval by many European manufacturers.

Too bad I never saw Valvoline MST in stores.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/motor-oil/full-synthetic-motor-oil/5 and click on specs.

Pennzoil does the same thing with Platinum.
http://www.pennzoil.com/#/motor-oil/pennzoil-platinum
And click on available grades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back