Best fully synthetic 5W30 engine oil

I was thinking of using a fully synthetic 5W30 engine oil in a 1.4litre TSI turbo-charge VW petrol engine that normally requires a VW 504.000 approved oil (to protect the catalytic convertor apparently). Royal Purple HPS is not VW 504.000 approved but they assure me that it exceeds VW 504.000 and will be fine. Is there anything else that is better that I should be considering?

Mobil 1 or castrol full synthetic are great. If you go with an oil that meets a dexos requirement you’ll be fine. I use dexos as an example because of its high rating.

Last edited:
I was thinking of using a fully synthetic 5W30 engine oil in a 1.4litre TSI turbo-charge VW petrol engine that normally requires a VW 504.000 approved oil (to protect the catalytic convertor apparently). Royal Purple HPS is not VW 504.000 approved but they assure me that it exceeds VW 504.000 and will be fine. Is there anything else that is better that I should be considering?
M1 ESP. Excellent choice that meets 504/507 in either 0W-30 or 5W-30.

The 504/507 spec goes well beyond after-treat compatibility and I would absolutely seek out an oil that is approved.

No, no, no, no.
in 5W30 flavor, you will not find better oils than those approved for VW504.00/507.00. STICK TO THAT!
It is not catalytic converter. All oils are made to protect catalytic converter. It is numerous other stuff.
Do not fall for "meets and exceeds" garbage!

If by "Full Synthetic" you mean PAO, i believe Ravenol may be your choice. I don't know the HPS levels but Mobil1 ESP 5W-30 has very little....

Screenshot_20201109-054955_Drive.jpg

But as others have mentioned, ESP is a great oil that has the approvals. I'm not sure if HPS just says "meets or exceeds" or goes further by having "approved" on the bottle. The decision as to what your comfortable with is yours.

I know this site can be confusing at times as many of us have asserted that given the choice between two approved oils, we'd take the one with more PAO content. But in all actuality we don't know if that alone makes for a better finished product.

Last edited:
If by "Full Synthetic" you mean PAO, i believe Ravenol may be your choice. I don't know the HPS levels but Mobil1 ESP 5W-30 has very little....

View attachment 33511

But as others have mentioned, ESP is a great oil that has the approvals. I'm not sure if HPS just says "meets or exceeds" or goes further by having "approved" on the bottle. The decision as to what your comfortable with is yours.

I know this site can be confusing at times as many of us have asserted that given the choice between two approved oils, we'd take the one with more PAO content. But in all actuality we don't know if that alone makes for a better finished product.
There is zero chance that HPS meets or exceeds 504/507.

View attachment 33511

Only SDS I could find for the HPS 5w-30 is from 2018, but that may still be current. Shows 10-25% PAO, rest is Group III:
Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 8.20.08 AM.png

Whereas the Mobil product appears to be 30-40% GTL, per the above MSDS from wemay, a dash (1-5%) of PAO and whatever the rest of the base blend is doesn't have to be shown on an MSDS, so perhaps it is one of the Esterex products.

Back