Best fully synthetic 5W30 engine oil

Off topic...

What i find curious is when someone uses these graphs to show how much "better" one spec/approval is over say... dexos1 in wear; yet say "I've never noticed any difference in fuel mileage" when the same graph shows mpg to be one pretty large gap as well.

So when recommending these oils over a dexos1 (in a Chevy etc.) and saying "you'll probably take an indicernable hit in mpg. Your car will never notice a difference." We should be consistent vice-versa.

Last edited:
Off topic...

What i find curious is when someone uses these graphs to show how much "better" one spec/approval is over say... dexos1 in wear; yet say "I've never noticed any difference in fuel mileage" when the same graph shows mpg to be one pretty large gap as well.

So when recommending these oils over a dexos1 (in a Chevy etc.) and saying "you'll probably take an indicernable hit in mpg. Your car will never notice a difference." We should be consistent vice-versa.

HTHS of 3.2 vs 3.5.... is not likely enough to cause much of a difference in fuel economy... Like what ? 1 percent... Maybe 1.5 percent.... No one is going to notice that in real life driving....

The Noack being 10 percent or less with MB 229.5 or BMW LL-01 vs 13 percent is only potentially going to be observed if one actually pulls a motor and tears it down.

Dexos can't pass those tougher specs... Does not mean it is not a good spec. It is. Though Porsche C30 is a tougher spec which it should be.... And needs to be for good reason.

My point isn't based on the legitimacy of the comparisons, more so the way the information is relayed according to the Lubrizol graph. If the difference in wear is 10 to 6 and we interpret that data point as the oil scoring 10 being much better at protection, we should use equal enthusiasm when the fuel economy oil's score is 10 vs 6 in mpg. i.e, the one scoring 10 will get you much better fuel economy etc. But that's rarely mentioned.

My point isn't based on the legitimacy of the comparisons, more so the way the information is relayed according to the Lubrizol graph. If the difference in wear is 10 to 6 and we interpret that data point as the oil scoring 10 being much better at protection, we should use equal enthusiasm when the fuel economy oil's score is 10 vs 6 in mpg. i.e, the one scoring 10 will get you much better fuel economy etc. But that's rarely mentioned.

However... The difference between the specs is there... Fuel economy not so much
... 3.1 or 3.2 vs 3.55 HTHS is not hardly able to be noticeable or measurable in real life. Thus why people don't notice or care about that...

Yet a oil that can pass say Porsche a40 or c30 is way tougher than passing API SP or Dexos in terms of rigor.

Ever watch that Porsche a40 testing?? That is impressive.

The tool is stated not to be used to contrast those types of traits for various specs but rather for showing what the focus was for the OEM's in developing those specs.

So if we go back to Eddy's critique of Dexos it's clear that GM doesn't put a lot of focus on soot thickening whereas VW does, it's major focus of their spec.

Off topic...

You make good sense there, however I wonder if this might be true....you don't notice the difference in fuel mileage...but over 10 years and 200k miles maybe you'd have saved enough money for one full tank (I have no idea just for example), you aren't going to miss that $ as far as fuel saved, but as far as deposits and wear go, after that same period it could be a substantial noticeable difference in buildup on pistons or wear to bearings using one oil vs the other.....which is something that would be much more important than fuel mileage was. We don't know that this is true, but it's certainly possible right?

The Noack being 10 percent or less with MB 229.5 or BMW LL-01 vs 13 percent is only potentially going to be observed if one actually pulls a motor and tears it down.

Well.... (T)GDi engines would disagree with you....lower NOACK directly corelates in less valve deposits...

M1 ESP. Excellent choice that meets 504/507 in either 0W-30 or 5W-30.

The 504/507 spec goes well beyond after-treat compatibility and I would absolutely seek out an oil that is approved.
OK it looks like the consensus is Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30.

I can get it cheaper if buying a 20litre drum rather than 5litres.

Does anybody have any idea what the shelf life is as I am planning an extra oil change i.e. 6 monthly at 4litres a change
i.e. 20 litres is two and a half years supply.

Castrol 5w30 A3/B4 or Rotella T6 5w30.

Castrol Magnatec 5w30 if you want to be owners manual compliant as I don’t believe the 2 above carry any domestic gasser approvals.

OK it looks like the consensus is Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30.

I can get it cheaper if buying a 20litre drum rather than 5litres.

Does anybody have any idea what the shelf life is as I am planning an extra oil change i.e. 6 monthly at 4litres a change
i.e. 20 litres is two and a half years supply.
Mobil will quote you 5 years but it will last nearly indefinitely.

Here's what I learned about questions like "what is the best fully synthetic Xw-XX engine oil?" It's all about opinions, there is no factual data I have ever seen that can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt which oil is best. Having said that my opinion to the OPs question regarding fully synthetic 5W30 oil is Mobil 1 ESP 5w30. To the OP, read up on it and decide for yourself. You might find one you "think" is the best, good luck proving it though.

Back