VW 508.00 Does it really matter?

You see what I use. Appropriate oil for engines I have.
As for 2nd generation Tiguan? First, I would not get that vehicle, and if I did, VW504.00/507.00.

You use "appropriate oil" but if you owned a second Gen Tiguan you wouldn't use "appropriate oil?" Appropriate meaning according to manufacturer requirements in the Owner's Manual for that vehicle when bought. Because just as their testing confirms the appropriateness when the requirements were high hths lubes, they must have conducted appropriate testing for the 2.6 hths.

You use "appropriate oil" but if you owned a second Gen Tiguan you wouldn't use "appropriate oil?" Appropriate meaning according to manufacturer requirements in the Owner's Manual for that vehicle when bought. Because just as their testing confirms the appropriateness when the requirements were high hths lubes, they must have conducted appropriate testing for the 2.6 hths.
Sure, but my take on VW508.00 is different. They are using 0W20 oil in an engine designed around VW504.00/507.00 oils. Manufacturers in chase of CAFE standards do make mistakes or purposely bet on certain life expectancy. This would not be first rodeo for VW where they had issues with oils, not sticking to original oils used in certain engines.

The 5w40 oils they are referring to are also VW approved oil, just a different spec.

With vastly different requirements to 508.

Using anything other than 508 in a vehicle requiring that spec, even other VW specs, is using the wrong oil.

With vastly different requirements to 508.

Using anything other than 508 in a vehicle requiring that spec, even other VW specs, is using the wrong oil.
It is not. EA888 engines are designed around VW502.00 and VW504.00/507.00 oils. We all know why manufacturers use 0W20 oils. VW has been down this path before. In 1997 they changed oil requirements for 1.8T from those in Europe to make vehicles maintenance more in line with Honda & Co. That resulted in sludge issues and huge court settlement. You would be for sure one of those waiting for settlement.

Sure, but my take on VW508.00 is different. They are using 0W20 oil in an engine designed around VW504.00/507.00 oils. Manufacturers in chase of CAFE standards do make mistakes or purposely bet on certain life expectancy. This would not be first rodeo for VW where they had issues with oils, not sticking to original oils used in certain engines.
Anyone recommending the OP use 504,505,502 etc in a vehicle where 508 is required, is just as wrong as the OP using a synthetic SP product. And he may actually be closer to spec by using that product.

Anyone recommending the OP use 504,505,502 etc in a vehicle where 508 is required, is just as wrong as the OP using a synthetic SP product. And he may actually be closer to spec by using that product.
So people who used VW502.00 in 1.8T engines 20 years ago were also wrong? Tell us what makes VW504.00/507.00 oil not appropriate in EA888 in current Tiguan? What are mechanical differences between EA888 in Tiguan and Atlas that make VW504.00/507.00 inappropriate?
Also, you quoted me saying I use appropriate oil in my Tiguan. My Tiguan’s manual specifically says VW502.00. I use 504.00/507.00. I know it is appropriate oil.

It is not. EA888 engines are designed around VW502.00 and VW504.00/507.00 oils. We all know why manufacturers use 0W20 oils. VW has been down this path before. In 1997 they changed oil requirements for 1.8T from those in Europe to make vehicles maintenance more in line with Honda & Co. That resulted in sludge issues and huge court settlement. You would be for sure one of those waiting for settlement.
What you opine is of no consequence to VW and their requirement, and 508 is just that, a requirement, not a recommendation. Anyone can come up with millions of excuses for why they use what they want.

What you opine is of no consequence to VW and their requirement, and 508 is just that, a requirement, not a recommendation. Anyone can come up with millions of excuses for why they use what they want.
Just FYI: when you buy VW, you won’t go to prison if you think about what you doing.

VW recommends 3.5 HTHS oil:
The opinion by many is, you should always use what's recommended in your OM.

VW recommends 2.6 HTHS oil:
The opinion becomes, use 508 until your warranty is over or.....use 504 or 505.

Not everyone...but quite a few.

VW recommends 3.5 HTHS oil:
The opinion by many is, you should always use what's recommended in your OM.

VW recommends 2.6 HTHS oil:
The opinion becomes, use 508 until your warranty is over or.....use 504 or 505.

Not everyone...but quite a few.
This is different discussion and you should understand that, which I think you are purposefully not acknowledging. We are not talking any oils here. We are still talking VW approved oils in an engine that was designed around heavier oils. Also, in real world any engine can run wide variety of grades. My Toyota is recommended for 0W20 here but 20W50 in some areas of Australia.
Again, VW reason going for 0W20 is strictly related to CAFE, not engine design. BMW did same going to thinner oils and owners of N55 engines are not happy chasing new rod bearings.

So people who used VW502.00 in 1.8T engines 20 years ago were also wrong? Tell us what makes VW504.00/507.00 oil not appropriate in EA888 in current Tiguan? What are mechanical differences between EA888 in Tiguan...

I'm not here to defend, explain or discourage VWs requirements. I'm pointing out the silliness of telling someone what they are using is wrong because it isn't what's required by the manufacturer for their vehicle, then turn around and recommend something that is also not recommended in their OM but somehow is less-wrong because it has different VW approvals on the bottle.

Here are some of differences...

Screenshot_20210411-121849_Chrome.jpg

This is different discussion and you should understand that, which I think you are purposefully not acknowledging. We are not talking any oils here. We are still talking VW approved oils in an engine that was designed around heavier oils. Also, in real world any engine can run wide variety of grades. My Toyota is recommended for 0W20 here but 20W50 in some areas of Australia.
Again, VW reason going for 0W20 is strictly related to CAFE, not engine design. BMW did same going to thinner oils and owners of N55 engines are not happy chasing new rod bearings.

I agree, again I'm not defending his choice. I ran non-508 in my passat a couple times and know it was completely out of spec. I even posted a uoa of the MC used and we discussed it. But 504 would have been out of spec too. I don't think VW considers "degrees" of inappropriateness, just appropriate and inappropriate.

I agree, again I'm not defending his choice. I ran non-508 in my passat a couple times and know it was completely out of spec. I even posted a uoa of the MC used and we discussed it. But 504 would have been out of spec too. I don't think VW considers "degrees" of inappropriateness, just appropriate and inappropriate.
BITOG is not legal zoom or some legal forum.
Also, VW itself is all over the place recommending oils for a single vehicle, let alone fleet. I would say legally, VW would not try to play this game if one decides to do it.

VW considers 502 and 504 interchangeable protection wise because of HTHS. Obviously 504 is much newer, cleaner running spec due to changes in gas, GDI etc. Other than HTHS VW 504 is very similar to VW 508, which is why it is often recommended instead of 508 since the 0w20 is all about CAFE anyway.

But VW is always playing games with oil as edyvw often points out. For example, the Atlas of the same year as my Passat, exact same engine, only has VW 504 sticker while above my identical engine/year has 502/504. And manual says something else confusing.

But VW is always playing games with oil as edyvw often points out. For example, the Atlas of the same year as my Passat, exact same engine, only has VW 504 sticker while above my identical engine/year has 502/504. And manual says something else confusing.
Meanwhile I'm just trying to figure out how to best put 250,000 trouble free miles on my new to me Audi B9 S5 with the 3.0T V6 EA839 series engine.

Confusing is too kind of a word.

Back