VW 508.00 Does it really matter?

...and Liqui Moly Top Tec 6200:

1602707531880.png

So no, PAO is not necessary to meet VW508 approval.

Havoline ProDS VB looks PAO-free https://cglapps.chevron.com/sdspds/SDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=534601&docFormat=PDF

Total Quartz Ineo at least doesn't list any, same with Meguin-LiquiMoly:

Whatever they're doing to their pour points...

Good spot. I eventually located the latest English version which is consistent with your German edition I.e. no PAO.

That change in the last 12 months (it is exactly the same SDS number) is quite interesting - perhaps Total originally considered that a PAO would be necessary to meet the spec but have since found a way to make it work with a grpIII.
I can only assume they dont call it vollsynthetische in Germany.
Screenshot_20201014-220833_Drive.jpg

I posted here some time ago about the 508 oil in my 2019 VW GLI. Someone here posted a screen shot of the 2019 2.0 turbo (used in my GLI) engine oil recommendation from Volkswagen Germany.
The German recommendation is Mobil 1 ESP in either 0w30 or 5w30. As well all know the US spec is 508 0w20. In comparing the basic specs of the Mobil 1 ESP 0w20 (508 oil) and the Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 (non 508 oil) it seems they are VERY similar.

I posted here some time ago about the 508 oil in my 2019 VW GLI. Someone here posted a screen shot of the 2019 2.0 turbo (used in my GLI) engine oil recommendation from Volkswagen Germany.
The German recommendation is Mobil 1 ESP in either 0w30 or 5w30. As well all know the US spec is 508 0w20. In comparing the basic specs of the Mobil 1 ESP 0w20 (508 oil) and the Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 (non 508 oil) it seems they are VERY similar.

Here's what i found for the 2019 2.0 TSi with 163kw (ours is less)... (Both are VW504.00 / 507.00 approved)

1602717422996.png

1602717761294.png

No mention of the Mobil Super 3000 Formula V 5W30 being a "synthetic" in the description. Although i'm positive it would be called that here.

1602717482722.png

1602717892070.png

Last edited:
Nope, but it does have huge amount of GTL.

Yes, so does API SP QS Synthetic and PP. The point being that some posters above emphasized that PAO is needed to meet 508. One even said "predominantly PAO". Clearly this isn't the case. Some are all GrIII, and some are GrIII with 1<5% PAO.

Last edited:
Yes, so does API SP QS Synthetic and PP. The point being that some posters above emphasized that PAO is needed to meet 508. One even said "predominantly PAO". Clearly this isn't the case. Some are all GrIII, and some are GrIII with 1
QS and PP are Shell. Both are same "recipe," or at least PP. Shell owns them both.

Reactions: 4WD
I have no idea where you got that bad advice from, but looking at the Lubrizol tool, VW508/509 is a very high standard, arguably one of the highest. You need at least some PAO and a fantastic add-pack just to meet. Given that Mobil 1 ESP X2 is now at Walmart, and will soon be showing up in cheaper 5 liter jugs, if I were the OP I would use that for BOTH of his cars.

Was just a quote.. from a 14 page discussion on this subject.

Havoline is Chevron who'd even have their own PAO in case they needed some. But PAO are so early 21st century ;-)

A little food for thought on Volkswagen and warranties. With the advent of ULSD, Volkswagen was getting a bunch of high pressure fuel pumps that shelled themselves causing the need for almost a complete replacement of the entire fuel system. In some cases the cost exceeding $7k. Volkswagen did not like this expense and pulled fuel and oil samples on every warranty claim vehicle soon after, they were convinced that the consumer was accidentally putting gasoline into their diesel vehicles. If anything was untoward in this sampling they refused warranty coverage and told the customer tough luck, see you in court. Happened many times over. Just food for thought concerning oil specifications, warranty, dye and tracer chemicals and VW's track record..

A little food for thought on Volkswagen and warranties. With the advent of ULSD, Volkswagen was getting a bunch of high pressure fuel pumps that shelled themselves causing the need for almost a complete replacement of the entire fuel system. In some cases the cost exceeding $7k. Volkswagen did not like this expense and pulled fuel and oil samples on every warranty claim vehicle soon after, they were convinced that the consumer was accidentally putting gasoline into their diesel vehicles. If anything was untoward in this sampling they refused warranty coverage and told the customer tough luck, see you in court. Happened many times over. Just food for thought concerning oil specifications, warranty, dye and tracer chemicals and VW's track record..
Yeah, I would tell them same.

Back