Veey bright headlights

Poorly designed and aimed. I feel that most American trucks and cars have either weak headlights or poorly aimed headlights. In fact, maybe it's confirmation bias, but I don't think US cars have good headlights at all. I rarely have any issues with European or Japanese headlight and to this day, I haven't found any manufacture (that I've driven) with headlights better than BMW.
Any European spec vehicle will have better headlights than US vehicles. The E code beam pattern is just much better. From my first tour in Germany while in the Army, and during the almost 11 years I spent assigned there over the years, I really grew to appreciate the efficiency of European headlights. It's a shame US auto manufacturers don't replicate that.

Any European spec vehicle will have better headlights than US vehicles. The E code beam pattern is just much better. From my first tour in Germany while in the Army, and during the almost 11 years I spent assigned there over the years, I really grew to appreciate the efficiency of European headlights. It's a shame US auto manufacturers don't replicate that.
Yup, DOT is a joke.

I thoroughly enjoy being blinded almost the entire way home from work. Every new car seems to come with lights that harness the power of the sun. Hiw did we get to this point?
Actually it's LEDs that are the issue. Hids generally output more lumens and have a better cutoff.

Owned two BMW's and the headlights on my TourX are better yet...just WOW.

Were they newer BMWs? My friend has a 14 M235 and despite it being so low to the ground, it's got better headlights than any other vehicle I've driven yet. I haven't been in a TourX but I wonder if GM decided to use the Euro spec headlight versus making a USDM one.

My wife's 2018 Equinox has stupid bright low beams. The first couple times I drove the vehicle at night I was flashed by other cars thinking the high beams were on. I adjusted them a bit lower so I don't blind other drivers.

Does it really help to have low beams that bright though? It's hurting the drivers own night vision aswell, making it impossible to see beyond the reach of the low beams, even if the night isn't pitch black..

I wonder what your experience is with this? do you find you need the high beams more now?

The sharp cutoff on low beam is a good thing, provided the headlights are correctly aimed/adjusted. Drove for 11 years in Germany and never had an issue with blinding headlights, but then they all were properly adjusted. And, the European beam pattern, the sharp cutoff with the right shoulder projection, is SO superior to what the US DOT mandates. Agree with the poster above who commented that many in the US are probably using high beams because either they "don't like" the illumination provided by their low beams, or they are adjusted too low.

I find a sharp cutoff, especially with the blue colourisation, to be tiring on long drives. I prefer a softer cutoff without different colouring, one that merges seamlessly into the darkness

Yes I hate them, feel part of the problem is the colder color temperature. Don't get me started on jerks who install the aftermarket retrofits into incan housings then state that despite being illegal, they must be fine because they don't get flashed by Every Single Vehicle that passes them.

Were they newer BMWs? My friend has a 14 M235 and despite it being so low to the ground, it's got better headlights than any other vehicle I've driven yet. I haven't been in a TourX but I wonder if GM decided to use the Euro spec headlight versus making a USDM one.
I think they are Euro Spec...like no American car I have driven before.

Reactions: Pew
Oz is so different than here (#18).

The 1990s marked the debut of two types of lighting that have since gone on to dominate the headlight market. The first of these is the high-intensity discharge (HID) headlight, in which two electrodes support an arc of light within a tube. Commonly known as xenon headlights, HIDs were introduced in 1991, but have grown in popularity since the turn of the millennium.

HIDs are popular for their brightness, durability and energy efficiency. In comparisons to halogen bulbs, many of today’s motorists agree that xenon lights are superior by all metrics.

The other lighting innovation of the 1990s was LED lights, which consist of charged, glowing electrons. As with HIDs, LED lights can last for periods that far exceed the life expectancy of halogen lights.

Furthermore, LED lights emit strong levels of brightness without drawing too heavily on energy supplies. LED tail lights first appeared on automobiles in 1993, but the lighting option didn’t see wider adoption until the following decade. These days, LED lights are the dominant headlight type throughout the automotive industry.

With the passing of time, it’s become increasingly apparent that the 1990s marked a downward shift in car light marketing. Even though HIDs and — to a lesser extent — LED lights remain superior to all the different types of headlights that came before, the marketing of headlight bulb types was starting to emphasize “coolness” over quality.

illuminating qualities of led light have given it the market edge over brighter HID

Consequently, the icy, illuminating qualities of the LED light have given it the market edge over
the brighter and technically superior HID.

LED's are just the type of light. The housing is what is going to determine cutoff. I really wish the LEDs would be made in more color temps. 6000-6500K is awful.
Yeah, and probably the biggest problem is the abundance of cheap LED bulbs that folks stuff into reflector housings that just blast light everywhere. Super popular, and the glare is insane because of course that housing was never designed for that bulb.

I see a lot of trucks and in particular, Civics and Chevy Cruze's with this going on.

Up here, it is the MTO IIRC that's supposed to enforce cracking down on this, but they don't seem to.

Bright headlights > not bright headlights

People like being able to see, hence, brighter headlights. You do realize that you don't have to stare directly at the lights coming towards you, correct.........?
And what about the people behind me? Properly adjusted mirrors means that these lights are right in your eye from three angles.

2022 Tahoe = good HL’s
2021 Lexus = good HL’s
2020 Jeep = good HL’s
2017 Tahoe = poor, upgrade to Silverstar, meh, then to LED … better

Yeah, and probably the biggest problem is the abundance of cheap LED bulbs that folks stuff into reflector housings that just blast light everywhere. Super popular, and the glare is insane because of course that housing was never designed for that bulb.

I see a lot of trucks and in particular, Civics and Chevy Cruze's with this going on.

Up here, it is the MTO IIRC that's supposed to enforce cracking down on this, but they don't seem to.
Yup. The other problem is when guys level or lift their trucks and then don't readjust the headlights.

And what about the people behind me? Properly adjusted mirrors means that these lights are right in your eye from three angles.
Auto-darkening rearview mirrors have been a thing for a few years now. The pulldown tab before that.

This is where the sharp cut off on European headlights benefits IMO. You can easily see that the direct illumination cuts off in the middle of the trunk on a vehicle directly in front of you, and below their rear view mirrors on properly adjusted E code headlights. That cut off gets lower the further in front a vehicle may be.

The Acura multi-element lights are the absolute worst. Always get me. I don’t have much issues with others, though they are brighter than yesteryear.

This is where the sharp cut off on European headlights benefits IMO. You can easily see that the direct illumination cuts off in the middle of the trunk on a vehicle directly in front of you, and below their rear view mirrors on properly adjusted E code headlights. That cut off gets lower the further in front a vehicle may be.
Also the usage custom, where in Europe main beams appear to be more widely used unless there is other traffic in front or opposing, or in cities where the low sharp cutoff beam is used. Pretty much how it should be done here as opposed to way too many folks drive on open roads using only low beam and almost as many folks obliviously cruising along in traffic w/ main beams.

Many new vehicles now have auto high beams. They will stay on the highs until oncoming lights are detected and drop to the lows.
That's the source of a lot of the initial ''flash'' of bright. Especially when cresting rises in the road before sensor detects oncoming.
It usually is defaulted to on in new vehicles, I turned it off in my '20 Traverse. I know how to operate headlights unlike most of the masses.
It's hard to hold the phone, steer and pull the lever at the same time.
Oh man you're such a good driver wow.

The auto headlights in my last two cars react at least as fast as I do.

Back