Valvoline Restore & Protect

I’ve put Valvoline Restore and Protect 5w30 in my 2013 BMW X5 (N55 engine) just to see if it cleans as well as some claim. It has been about 1000 miles. Four oil changes to make a difference is going to take a while. But, I plan to stick with it.
IMG_0011.jpeg

I'm buying a cargo van that was used for delivering product for a beverage company. The fleet manager admits the weight limits have a good chance of being exceeded on several occasions. I'm thinking the engine was being punished during its time with the company. I am going to be using the Valvoline oil to do some restoration work on the engine. I'm interested in the progress of the Nissan Versa.

I know, take it with a grain of salt...I saw one review on amazon that suggested in approx. 4000 miles they went from consuming 1.5 quarts to .5 quarts.
I can say that it -seems- my oil consumption has dropped to essentially nothing. But, I was using LiquiMoly before and that stuff makes any engine I’ve put it in turn into an oil burner. So, I don’t think it’s a fair claim for me to make. I was using ACDelco 5w30 full syn in my last BMW because it wouldn’t burn a drop with that in the crankcase.

We just got a 2012 Pathfinder and I'm excited to start maintenance again after over 2 months without a vehicle.

Carfax shows it had a recent oil change but I'm going to drain that and fill with the Valvoline. I'll stick with that for 4-8 OCIs and against every impulse, not oil flushes. I want to see how the Valvoline does on its own though.

I will however, give it the fuel tank and air intake fuel additives for additional cleaning of the fuel system and, valves and upper cylinders area. I like the CRC Intake cleaner, but I'm wondering if I should start using the Redline. I see a lot of people mention it. I just grab the better priced of the three I like at the store, those being STP 5-in-1, Gumout All-In-One, Techron.

Any reason to believe Redline works any, let alone significantly, better?

Why are people complaining about the 4 OCIs it takes. Even HPL EC or HPL PCMOs makes no claims of 100% cleaning in 1 OCI. Neither does Rislone and from my experience they both work.

What happened to the Anti Engine flush slow cleaning is the way to go guys?

I think Valvolines claims are completely reasonable.
The Valvoline men on the Motor Oil Geek YouTube video of Valvoline R&P oil explains why the fast clean is not a good idea.

Saw the Valvoline C&P At Walmart today, $29.97 so I might try the 5w30 flavor in my ‘new’ 2019 Silverado with 69,000 miles and the 4.3 DI AFM engine.

We just got a 2012 Pathfinder and I'm excited to start maintenance again after over 2 months without a vehicle.

Carfax shows it had a recent oil change but I'm going to drain that and fill with the Valvoline. I'll stick with that for 4-8 OCIs and against every impulse, not oil flushes. I want to see how the Valvoline does on its own though.

I will however, give it the fuel tank and air intake fuel additives for additional cleaning of the fuel system and, valves and upper cylinders area. I like the CRC Intake cleaner, but I'm wondering if I should start using the Redline. I see a lot of people mention it. I just grab the better priced of the three I like at the store, those being STP 5-in-1, Gumout All-In-One, Techron.

Any reason to believe Redline works any, let alone significantly, better?
Well Redline possibly might not clean any better per se,but it's definitely going to be a lower noack oil by a long shot compared to Valvoline so if it burns off less it's not going to have to do whatever Valvoline is marketing it's product to. Four oil changes is a lot for some and that could take weeks or years. I am curious to see what a couple of short trip winter intervals does to the outcome. Is this M1 AP all over again? Are people better off to see more aggressive results from @High Performance Lubricants and their Engine Clean 30 which from many on here can be seen in little to no time? Time will tell...

If it takes at least 4 OCIs to do the cleaning, that's not "fast cleaning" compared to other engine cleaning methods.
People are always in a hurry to do everything but what they should have. I stick by my comments I made to a guy at BG once; if people maintained their vehicles per the owners manual to a letter and did about 100.00 worth of odds and ends like occasionally fuel system clean/gasoline additive yearly, they wouldn't be in the need of a solution because there would not be a problem to look for.

If it takes at least 4 OCIs to do the cleaning, that's not "fast cleaning" compared to other engine cleaning methods.
that's definitely not mylanta for a car. It's gonna take the avg otc oil 3-4 oci to get iron and aluminum down and clean things up a bit. I like the oil consumption reduction that Valvoline offers but this just seems kinda far fetched especially at this price. Buy Amsoil SS or M1 EP...I'm just not feeling the mood. Are there going to be stipulations? This is the same brand that doesn't ever say 10 or 15k miles guaranteed. Maybe none are, but they sure lack the confidence to motivate alot of buyers..

I like the oil consumption reduction that Valvoline offers but this just seems kinda far fetched especially at this price.
I highly doubt Lake Speed getting a tour of the Valvoline R&D facility and talking with the chief R&D officer about the development and testing of this oil is all baseless smoke and mirrors. "Science instead of speculation" ... so based on the LS video, it sounds like the science was proven in the R&D facility with testing by Valvoline. So time will tell as people get some use of the product and the feedback starts coming in. And I'm sure there will be some people who do one 1000 mile OCI and expect it to do magic, when it's clearly stated that it will take around 4 normal OCIs to get full results.

Back