Valvoline 0w40 new blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking at the 0w40 Valvoline advanced full synthetic, formally synpower. How does it compare to the mobile fs 0w40. Looks like as of the 5-31-18 Valvoline updated the PI sheet. I've been looking for a replacement for the older version Mobil 0w40 as it had a higher hths and seemed more robust, but I can't find any old stock anymore. I guess I'm trying to see how close the new Valvoline advanced full synthetic 0w40 is to the old Mobil 0w40.

I'm sure someone is going to want to know application ,my only requirement is a 0w40 that meets or exceeds API sm. The factory fill oil isn't very informative other than a pour point of -45c and it's blended by lubrication technologies and that's all the information I've ever found.. And I know it sheras rather quickly in about 1000 miles per a uoa on another fourm. The motor is 1200cc 3 cylinder rotax, operating in cold winter climates ranging from -30f to +32f and at high rpms for long periods of time, 8700 rpms max and typically no lower than 6000rpm unless at idle. I had been running the older version of Mobil 0w40 after draining the factory fill after the first 1000 miles and it has worked well but like I said it's not easily found

Challenging application! High RPM Rotax engine that must also start in sub-zero temperatures. This does sound like there is a real need for 0w40. The new M1 0w40 FS has HTHS that is just above the minimum for a 40-weight. Nothing but a full synthetic should be considered. M1, Castrol, Valvoline, Redline, AMSoil, Joe Gibbs Driven, and Motul 300V should all be considered, and the temporary shear ratio compared.

The Valvoline 0w40 has a Pour Point of -42C, so it doesn't meet Rotax's requirement of -45C. Its TSR is .864. HTHS is 3.7.

Last edited:
Redline 0w40 has a Pour Point of -60C, so it definitely meets the manufacturer spec. Its TSR is .786. HTHS is 4.0.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Challenging application! High RPM Rotax engine that must also start in sub-zero temperatures. This does sound like there is a real need for 0w40. The new M1 0w40 FS has HTHS that is just above the minimum for a 40-weight. Nothing but a full synthetic should be considered. M1, Castrol, Valvoline, Redline, AMSoil, Joe Gibbs Driven, and Motul 300V should all be considered, and the temporary shear ratio compared.

Not sure what the tsr is as I've never seen it on anything.

The Valvoline 0w40 has a Pour Point of -42C, so it doesn't meet Rotax's requirement of -45C. Its TSR is .864. HTHS is 3.7.

FWIW.
.....The -45c isn't a spec that is required, only spec is API SM or higher 0w40. The -45c pour point came from the advertisement from BRP that there house oil and I quote " has pour points down to -45c" it wasn't on any technical documents just in the advertisement of the BRP xps line of oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Crobinson16

You won't find it on any spec sheet. It is a calculation that we do on BITOG to compare the potential for shearing among different oils. Higher is better.

Last edited:
Reactions: a5m
Honestly the tsr of the Valvoline seems very close to the Mobil 1 not sure what version your are referring to. I didn't see any other specs of the Valvoline additive package. Also I'm not opposed to Castrol, it appears recently there are several different formulations and different plants from which it it is made and im sure most places around me probably have some of each, and I'd like to stay with the newest not something being fased out. Reading the GC thread make my head spin. The Valvoline is on my shelves as well and I figured I'd ask the oil people.

Castrol 0w40 has a Pour Point of -57C. It doesn't have an HTHS listed on the product sheet, so temporary shear ratio can't be calculated. (Typical Castrol.)

Honestly the tsr of the Valvoline seems very close to the Mobil 1 not sure what version your are referring to. I didn't see any other specs of the Valvoline additive package. Also I'm not opposed to Castrol, it appears recently there are several different formulations and different plants from which it it is made and im sure most places around me probably have some of each, and I'd like to stay with the newest not something being fased out. Reading the GC thread make my head spin. The Valvoline is on my shelves as well and I figured I'd ask the oil people.

That was the latest FS version of M1 0w40 that I looked at.
The Castrol meets ACEA specs, so it will have an HTHS of 3.5 minimum.
I can't find a spec sheet for Joe Gibbs Driven DI40, which is their 0w40.

That was the latest FS version of M1 0w40 that I looked at.
The Castrol meets ACEA specs, so it will have an HTHS of 3.5 minimum.
I can't find a spec sheet for Joe Gibbs Driven DI40, which is their 0w40.

Im try to stay with a 0w40 that is easily available, I'm not saying some of thse boutique oils are not going to absolutely great., However I also feel some of the easily accessible oils found at the big box stores will perform just a good and possibly better for a far more reasonable price point.

AMSoil makes an oil specially formulated for 4-stroke powersports engines that they recommend for 0w40 applications, and more importantly, snowmobiles.

They call it AFF.

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g1713.pdf

It has a Pour Point of -50C, and its KV100 is in the 40 range.

Yea.... Not to hurt anyone's feelings but I'm not interested in amsoil. I'd, like to still to either Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline, or possibly Pennzoil , I see Pennzoil has two 0w40 s

You have a powersports engine.
Run a powersports oil.

But if you want to run a passenger car oil, make sure it has the Porsche A40 approval. The 0w40 oils from Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline, and Pennzoil have it. The Ultra Platinum Pennzoil seems to have better specs than the Platinum version.

Last edited:
Run a powersports oil.

But if you want to run a passenger car oil, make sure it has the Porsche A40 approval. The 0w40 oils from Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline, and Pennzoil have it. The Ultra Platinum Pennzoil seems to have better specs than the Platinum version.

Curious Why do you say the Porsche A40 approval. I thought everyone was after a 0w40 that had it as well as the BMW LL01 spec.
I guess what I'm really looking for bettween the oils I mentioned is a 0w40 with the best cold flow numbers and the the best hths numbers with a decent add package and be shear stable. I'm just not good at putting all the information together between them to make sense of it all. Some information is hard to ubtain from the manufacturers. Although some of you oil guy are able to find it and make sense of it all and easily post it for people like me that are not as divers in the oil world.

Run a powersports oil.

Curious Why do you say the Porsche A40 approval. I thought everyone was after a 0w40 that had it as well as the BMW LL01 spec.
I guess what I'm really looking for bettween the oils I mentioned is a 0w40 with the best cold flow numbers and the the best hths numbers with a decent add package and be shear stable. I'm just not good at putting all the information together between them to make sense of it all. Some information is hard to ubtain from the manufacturers. Although some of you oil guy are able to find it and make sense of it all and easily post it for people like me that are not as divers in the oil world.

Porsche A40 testing includes race track use, so it stresses an oil at continuous high rpm/high operating temperature. An oil has to stay in grade to pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back