Valvoline SynPower - The under rated synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
Napa oil is group III

Synpower is PAO/group III ...

Thanks for the info. The MSDS I saw only had the Group III CAS, but there always is that other 20-30% that is generically labeled as additive or other. Presumably then that is where the Synpowers PAO is. Then Synpower is better than I thought and sort of parallels Maxlife with its PAO component.

NAPA as all Group III is a good deal for sale at $2.69.

Thanks.
cheers.gif

Every one of us has his or her own unique combination of particular car-oil-usage factors. Having just done a quick search of the UOA section, I don't see any posted results reflecting a situation similar to yours. It certainly is fun for us to match wits arguing our respective opinions, but for now, that's all they are -- our opinions. If you're motivated to try the Valvoline, then by all means do so. Do a UOA somewhere between 3000 and 5000 miles, and see how it does for your car. If the results are good, then keep on using the stuff. If not, try something else. BTW, for my last four years at Cherry Point (effectively the same climate as yours there at the Swamp), I used M1 5w-30 in a Honda Civic (1988 LX sed). That was way before I even knew you could do a UOA, but that car ultimately ended up lasting over ten years with about 150,000 on the odo, and still had a spotless engine, inside and out, and I never saw a hint of smoke from the tailpipe. I'm still not sure why I traded it in. . . Anyway, if the Valvoline does not work out well, try M1 next.

The tech data sheet for Synpower 10w30 shows a NOACK of 8.

Just called Valvoline and asked the NOACK of NAPA synthetic 10w30. They said 10.0 for the NAPA.

Definitely different oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back