Valvoline SynPower - The under rated synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been doing some research latley.. Bare with me.

Check out the following links.

After reading this, I began looking for more sources.
http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/g1971/index.html
Then I came across this:
oil. http://www.bestsyntheticoil.com/amsoil/technical-data-bulletins/Specs-June-17-2003.pdf

Valvoline SynPower 10w30 was rated better than Mobil1 SuperSyn, Castrol Syntec, Royal Purple, Redline, and regular Amsoil XL7500. Seems to me Valvoline SynPower is the best oil available at your local auto part stores. Just filled my LSVTEC with it.. I'm a new Valvoline SynPower fan. :thumbup:

It doesn't seem like there is much talk about Valvoline SynPower, I've also heard SynPower produces great UOAs. Anybody here have some good information on this oil?

[ October 05, 2004, 12:35 AM: Message edited by: LSVTEC 91 Civic ]

IIRC, high magnesium=high wear. The 20w-50 has some PAO in the base.

I meant Mg, typed Ca.

[ October 05, 2004, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: Audi Junkie ]

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:

IIRC, high magnesium=high wear.

It does not
tongue.gif
Magnesium is also used for some anti-wear and minimum 1300 ppm was used in the Mobil Try Synthetic @ 9k miles with super results

I'm giving Synpower 5W-30 a go in my 2003 Mitsu Outlander 2.4 this winter. I bought a 5 litre jug of the stuff at Walmart for $21.98 CDN. I know it's GIII, but it's also $10 cheaper than Mobil 1 which now sells for $31.98 for 4.4 litres.

The link you supplied about the motor oil rankings is a good information source, but it is not complete. They use only the information the company supplies. If you notice a lot of oils are listed at 13.00 under the NOACK. This is the highest rating allowed and since the oil company did not provide this information on any of the literature, the person automatically rated it at the highest. Also alot of oils have a TBN score of 5.0. Once again, the worst score you can receive. There are quality oils that are being deprived of an accurate score. Notice this person also included the 4 ball test. The only oil company that uses this is Amsoil. The information provided is good, but incomplete. Without all of the correct data, you cannot truely compare two things. Until then I will keep using my Royal Purple even though it is rated below the others.

We should also bear in mind that Valvoline seriously rubbed many people here the wrong way with their Synpower rebate debacle a few months back. Safe to say they turned away more than a few good customers, some probably for good. Check the Valvoline threads in the "Product Rebates" section if you don't know what I mean.

First of all, I've found the worst kind of disinformation on Amsoil jobber's websites. If it weren't for the decent dealers on this site, I'd have nothing but disdain for this entire brand based on the way most dealers conduct their business.

Second, Val Synpower is NOT some "sleeper" oil that we have all overlooked. It's mostly, if not entirely, a Group III base and therefore, overpriced.
rolleyes.gif

I used this stuff in my '95 Civic, a car which had never consumed a drop of mineral oil, Castrol Syntec (both Group III & IV formulas) and Mobil 1 in its life, despite being driven very hard.

With the Synpower, the car immediately began consuming oil and it took two intervals with Red Line Oil to get the consumption back to zero.
rolleyes.gif

Try doing a search on the word "Synpower" to find past discussion on this oil.

In the meantime, thanks, but I'll pass on this stuff.
thumbsdown.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by gmayer5454375:
The link you supplied about the motor oil rankings is a good information source, but it is not complete. They use only the information the company supplies. If you notice a lot of oils are listed at 13.00 under the NOACK. This is the highest rating allowed and since the oil company did not provide this information on any of the literature, the person automatically rated it at the highest. Also alot of oils have a TBN score of 5.0. Once again, the worst score you can receive. There are quality oils that are being deprived of an accurate score. Notice this person also included the 4 ball test. The only oil company that uses this is Amsoil. The information provided is good, but incomplete. Without all of the correct data, you cannot truely compare two things. Until then I will keep using my Royal Purple even though it is rated below the others.

Good information there. As far as RP is concerned, is RP Racing 41 a good oil to use on the street? From what I've heard on this board about RP is that it breaks down too fast and thins out. Any truth to that statement? Where can I find more Information on SynPower?

The only reason I haven't went with Amsoil is because their tests all seem biased, and its difficult for me to get around here. If it is in fact a great oil, than I might consider buying some... but I won't buy it because "Amsoil says its the best"

So far I've heard a lot of good things about SynPower and RP, I might use one of those two and stick with it.

I noticed on Amsoil's test, Synpower was second best (Next to AMSOIL) on NOACK and TBN score. Then again, I'm not sure if I trust Amsoil's tests.

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
With the Synpower, the car immediately began consuming oil and it took two intervals with Red Line Oil to get the consumption back to zero. Bror Jace

I am running a consumption test on the free Valvoline Synpower (10w30) in my wife's 104,000-mile 3.0 L Aerostar. The van runs great, but consumes a lot of oil. Last OCI was 6 months and 2360 miles with Valvoline Maxlife 10w30. Consumption was two quarts in 2360 miles. Just started the test so it may take a few months. One reason I think the Synpower 10w30 will reduce consumption (in spite of having heard synth will often increase consumption over dino) is its NOACK of 8 !

quote:

Originally posted by LSVTEC 91 Civic:
I've been doing some research latley.. Bare with me.

Check out the following links.

After reading this, I began looking for more sources.
http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/g1971/index.html
Then I came across this:
oil. http://www.bestsyntheticoil.com/amsoil/technical-data-bulletins/Specs-June-17-2003.pdf

Valvoline SynPower 10w30 was rated better than ....

These are number games.

What does a 5 degree Fahrenheit lower pour point translate into in terms of actual performance in your car or truck?

How about a 3 degree Fahrenheit higher flash point?

And what has the 4 ball test got to do with motor oils?

The only real test of an oil is in the crankcase.

Ashland, the parent of Valvoline and Zerex, is a reputable American refiner that began about 80 years ago as a regional petroleum refiner.

If you lived in the Midwest you ran into their Ashland and Marathon service stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back