Pros/Cons of using a HDEO vs a Full Saps PMCO 40wt

Here's a study from 2017 that shows shear rates in different parts of an engine, Shear rates in engines and implications for lubricant design.

Here's a table showing shear rates at the cam lobe for a bucket style tappet. I haven't seen any data for roller tappets.

View attachment 182580
Shear rates at the pistons were high as well in this study, but not quite as high as at the cams. Shear rates in the journal bearings were in the range of 10^6, similar to shear rates for the HTHS measurement.
Wait, I’m using HPL 5w20 HDEO in my Focus without issue. Hmmm 🤔🤔🤔

So, there are oils that say they're SN/CK4 and others that just say they're CK4. I'd gather that you wouldn't want to pour just plain CK4 instead of dual rated into a gas engine? (I've also seen SL/CI4/A3B4 in one oil, funnily enough)

So, there are oils that say they're SN/CK4 and others that just say they're CK4. I'd gather that you wouldn't want to pour just plain CK4 instead of dual rated into a gas engine? (I've also seen SL/CI4/A3B4 in one oil, funnily enough)
I have older CJ4 oil in different grades. Dual rated or not I run HDEO oils IN MY FLEET WITH ZERO ISSUES.

formerly those dual rated oils were aimed at fleet use, and would generally be termed " All Fleet" oils somewhere on the package.
Currently Valvoline has a different take on the old way and market an oil called Premium Blue One Solution..
there are outfits out there that know it is easier to just use one type of oil in everything they run
than try to keep a variety or oils on the shelf for all their different equipment.
Variety of factors involved go into that line of thinking
but it generally revolves around knowing that if you had to stock 3 different types of oil
and you have enough employees and a large enough variety of equipment
they have a 2 out of 3 chance that someone will put the wrong oil in the engine.
This also explains why Universal Coolants and Multi Vehicle ATF's have a market.
:)

Last edited:
Hi all,

Some of you may remember my high FE HEMI Mobil 1 0w40 thread.... The issue ended up being the hardening layer of the cam wore off, everything else looked fairly good.

The engine got a comp 224/234 cam (over .600 lift) as well as a complete timing and head job with a hellcat oil pump. It makes 429hp to the wheels on a dyno, which is pretty much the most you'll ever get or can ask for out of a N/A 5.7 with stock pistons. I've been using M1 0w40 , M1 15w50 and a current fill of Pennzoil Euro 0w40.

I am hard on this engine, and it does see the drag strip occasionally, so I defiantly look for Zn levels above 1000 ppm. Cats are a non issue. Have a stash of Rotella T5 (and some T4) 15w40 that i'm likely going to pour into this engine. T4 is now a syn blend with no moly and T5 is also a syn blend but also has trimer MoDTC based on the numbers as well as a healthy dose of ZDDP and boron. Given how hard I am on this engine now, plus the added horsepower, I doubt ill ever exceed 3k miles on a OCI, so I'm thinking of just using the Rotella from now on.. It's cheap, seems to work well in most applications, and readily available.

Plus I think the 15w40 will be a bit more shear stable than the 0w40s... Will get a UOA sent out of this Pennzoil 0w40 that's in here now then will do another with Rotella and see how it compares.

Curious to hear thoughts on this
In your case you could use CJ4 but would avoid CK4 unless you are willing to use SP oil in your ride (Diesel equivalent to API). Look at the problems Ford, GM and Cummins are having with CK4 oil...

In your case you could use CJ4 but would avoid CK4 unless you are willing to use SP oil in your ride (Diesel equivalent to API). Look at the problems Ford, GM and Cummins are having with CK4 oil...

Ok, what problems are they having with Ck4 oils? it is worth pointing out the use of CK4 oils supersedes CJ4... and some of the older oil classifications..

Last edited:
Ok, what problems are they having with Ck4 oils? it is worth pointing out the use of CK4 oils supersedes CJ4... and some of the older oil classifications..
The problems we are seeing here doesn't seem to be blaming the oil used.

I mentioned CJ4 oil over CK4 oil because of your, mentioned, engine build. CJ4 Diesel oil will give you the ZN (ZP) you are looking for. CK4 oil is a watered down Diesel oil with lower ZN, like API SM, SN and SP, and a 10w-30 grade oil or less. Think CAFE for big rigs.

The problems we are seeing here doesn't seem to be blaming the oil used.

I mentioned CJ4 oil over CK4 oil because of your, mentioned, engine build. CJ4 Diesel oil will give you the ZN (ZP) you are looking for. CK4 oil is a watered down Diesel oil with lower ZN, like API SM, SN and SP, and a 10w-30 grade oil or less. Think CAFE for big rigs.

I don't think so... everything I have read implies CK4 is improved over the CJ 4 it replaced and supercedes. see here for more https://www.api.org/news-policy-and-issues/news/2016/11/18/new-api-certified-diesel-engine-oils-are

no,CK4 oils do not better than CJ4 in some engines. Best way is to see manufacturer approvals for your engine to be sure.

I don't think so... everything I have read implies CK4 is improved over the CJ 4 it replaced and supercedes. see here for more https://www.api.org/news-policy-and-issues/news/2016/11/18/new-api-certified-diesel-engine-oils-are
Well.....Search and see how Ford, GM and Cummins (Dodge) feel about the new CK4 in their engines and see why they have come out with a TSB regarding CK4 in their engines.

Also, compare the PDS sheets between the 2 and tell me why CK4 is "better" than CJ4...

Well.....Search and see how Ford, GM and Cummins (Dodge) feel about the new CK4 in their engines and see why they have come out with a TSB regarding CK4 in their engines.

Also, compare the PDS sheets between the 2 and tell me why CK4 is "better" than CJ4...
let me get this straight. you make an unverifiable claim about Ford, GM and the worlds largest independent diesel engine manufacturer but you dont have anything in writing.. and you want me to just believe you or look it up myself. Keep digging. .

let me get this straight. you make an unverifiable claim about Ford, GM and the worlds largest independent diesel engine manufacturer but you dont have anything in writing.. and you want me to just believe you or look it up myself. Keep digging. .
You are not willing to learn for yourself and do the research, don't expect me to spoon feed you...

You are new here but, hopefully, you will learn...

The Subaru guys have an obsession with Rotella T6 5W-40 as well, so do the Jeep guys. A cheaper HDEO or Brotella is fine in many use cases but I feel this Mopar use case is an outlier. I prefer a Euro oil in Subarus with a turbo.

I don’t have a sword in the fight but wasn’t CK-4/FA-4 designed around lower emissions(for EPA2010 engines) to protect DPFs/SCRs against ash loading vs. protection via higher ZDDP treat rate and NOACK?

You are not willing to learn for yourself and do the research, don't expect me to spoon feed you...

You are new here but, hopefully, you will learn...
ironic you can't produce any paperwork to back up your claim that Cummins is moving away from CK4 meanwhile I have a bulletin printed in 2/2022 from Cummins specifically recommending a CK4 in the ISB

quote"
For normal engine operation, Cummins recommends the use
of a high-quality 15W40 or 10W30 engine oil that meets the
requirements of Cummins CES20086 specification (API
classification CK-4). API classification FA-4 oils are NOT
recommended for motorhomes.

chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/https://mart.cummins.com/imagelibrary/data/assetfiles/0032369.pdf

I don’t have a sword in the fight but wasn’t CK-4/FA-4 designed around lower emissions(for EPA2010 engines) to protect DPFs/SCRs against ash loading vs. protection via higher ZDDP treat rate and NOACK?
FWIW, between me and the other dipstick, I'm the only 1 that has a sword.. LOL. anyway CK4 is the replacement for CJ4 and is backwards compatible... FA4 is the newer low viscosity diesel engine oil , and both are targeted for late model emission controlled diesel engines..

I agree the Stellantis (or whoever they are this week) TSB is odd they way it is worded. I do not believe they made it up on their own though. I would imagine after consulting Cummins on some failures or noises they came to the determination to quit recommending 15w40 in all the HLA applications.

To say Cummins is moving away from CK4 is probably a bit bold but to think they weren't involved in the discussion to recommend 10w30 vs 15w40 would be equally as foolish.

I don't see how any of them could move away from CK4. I feel like Ford already fought that battle. What would they recommend? Serious question.

Edit: Just realized this is in PCMO section. Didn't mean to add to the derail.

Back