Castrol Euro at Walmart, but which one?

The one I was referring to has a black jug not gold.
It's $52 for 6 qts on amazon. It is 5W30 api sn and not sl ... My mistake.

The one I like is api sl a3/b4 but it is 0W30 for about $10 / qt.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Castrol 5W30 A3/B4 is recent addition to Wal mart. As of last two weeks it is available in every Wal mart in Colorado Springs.
That oil has been on market for some time, and unlike 5W40 version, it was always approved for MB229.5. So, Noack is probably around 10%, HTHS is not higher than minimum 3.5.
I would go 0W40 over 5W30 or 5W40 Castrol's. 5W30 could be good option for those looking LL01 approved oil on cheap.

Yeah, to clarify, the Walmart stuff I saw comes in a black bottle, is 5w30 SL Euro, has same approvals (on bottle) as the "good ol" 0w30, including BMW LL1. See original post(s) for pics. ASAIK, all 0w30 and 0w40 Euro Castrols are also in black bottles. From what I've heard, the 0w40 and latest (or last) 0w30 are very similar, but API rules permit the 0w40 to carry SN rating, whereas the 0w30 is stuck at SL....but this is repetitive info. I dont know what (if anything) the 0w40 changed, to lose the LL1 cert. I don't need any of these certs, I just want great oil...for a f'in Subaru!!

Maybe somewhere they put the Euro in a gold jug/bottle, but the only gold bottle stuff I've seen was USA A5/B5 (or maybe A1/B1) formula. I even think the SN (SN+) A5B5 5w30 comes in a black bottle. Maybe there is a gold-bottled equivalent to Mobil's Extended or Annual.

I bet if you order any of the SL versions on Amazon, it will show up in a black bottle, despite what the picture shows.. But this is a wild as* guess.

Oh, I bought the 0w40. If it shears to 11cst, I'll be chill. If it stays above 13, or drops below 10.5 or so, I might look for alternatives...although, it might also be time for a new car by then.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Castrol 5W30 A3/B4 is recent addition to Wal mart. As of last two weeks it is available in every Wal mart in Colorado Springs.
That oil has been on market for some time, and unlike 5W40 version, it was always approved for MB229.5. So, Noack is probably around 10%, HTHS is not higher than minimum 3.5.
I would go 0W40 over 5W30 or 5W40 Castrol's. 5W30 could be good option for those looking LL01 approved oil on cheap.

Yeah, to clarify, the Walmart stuff I saw comes in a black bottle, is 5w30 SL Euro, has same approvals (on bottle) as the "good ol" 0w30, including BMW LL1. See original post(s) for pics. ASAIK, all 0w30 and 0w40 Euro Castrols are also in black bottles. From what I've heard, the 0w40 and latest (or last) 0w30 are very similar, but API rules permit the 0w40 to carry SN rating, whereas the 0w30 is stuck at SL....but this is repetitive info. I dont know what (if anything) the 0w40 changed, to lose the LL1 cert. I don't need any of these certs, I just want great oil...for a f'in Subaru!!

Maybe somewhere they put the Euro in a gold jug/bottle, but the only gold bottle stuff I've seen was USA A5/B5 (or maybe A1/B1) formula. I even think the SN (SN+) A5B5 5w30 comes in a black bottle. Maybe there is a gold-bottled equivalent to Mobil's Extended or Annual.

I bet if you order any of the SL versions on Amazon, it will show up in a black bottle, despite what the picture shows.. But this is a wild as* guess.

Oh, I bought the 0w40. If it shears to 11cst, I'll be chill. If it stays above 13, or drops below 10.5 or so, I might look for alternatives...although, it might also be time for a new car by then.
Castrol 0W40 and 0W30 did not change anything particular. BMW updated their LL01 specification in 2018 and bunch, if not all, 0W oils lost approvals. LL01 was already extremely stringent when it comes to oxidation, then BMW further increased requirements. Not sure what else they did for 0W oil to lose approvals.

Back