Value of used S&W shield .40

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine wants to sell or trade his .40 shield for a 9mm version or another 9mm firearm. His shield is a couple years old with 1k rounds through it.

He is begging me to trade him my SR9c but I'm not really wanting to part with the little ruger. I rarely carry it anymore but I still love the gun.

What is a "fair" price for his shield .40? I may make him an offer on it.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I shoot 40 S@W and 45 ACP as well as 9mm and 9mm is nicer to shoot.

I shoot them all as well. My preference is .357sig. Just looking for the value of a used shield in .40

I was thinking $300-$350 in good condition. Sold a Ruger SR-40C for $400 a couple years ago, in good condition.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Here's a new one on Gunbroker for $345 + $25 shipping so depending on your local shop's FFL fee you can have a new one for right around $400.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/610999825

I'd want to pay $300 but I always let the seller make the first offer.

Interesting AZJeff - I have a S&W 686-3 stainless that I never use and was looking to sell. I have no special permits other than a state "collector" license that allows me to buy arms more frequently that normal. I was looking on Gunbroker but I have never used it, and I certainly do not want to run afoul of any laws. If I list it, and just arrange to send to a FFL broker of the purchasers choice, will that work ?

Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
Interesting AZJeff - I have a S&W 686-3 stainless that I never use and was looking to sell. I have no special permits other than a state "collector" license that allows me to buy arms more frequently that normal. I was looking on Gunbroker but I have never used it, and I certainly do not want to run afoul of any laws. If I list it, and just arrange to send to a FFL broker of the purchasers choice, will that work ?
I have sold a few on Gunbroker.com and have always used a local FFL to ship to the buyer's FFL, but the last time I sold one a local FFL told me it was perfectly legal for me to ship it directly to the buyer's FFL. He said check with the ATF if I did not believe it. I did not believe it, so I did check and sure enough it IS perfectly legal to do so. There is also no problem if the deal falls through on the back end because the buyer's FFL could ship it straight back to me. Local/state law may prevent this in your area so you would want to confirm, but it was a bit of a leading experience.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I have sold a few on Gunbroker.com and have always used a local FFL to ship to the buyer's FFL, but the last time I sold one a local FFL told me it was perfectly legal for me to ship it directly to the buyer's FFL. He said check with the ATF if I did not believe it. I did not believe it, so I did check and sure enough it IS perfectly legal to do so. There is also no problem if the deal falls through on the back end because the buyer's FFL could ship it straight back to me. Local/state law may prevent this in your area so you would want to confirm, but it was a bit of a leading experience.

BUT.

An FFL can ship a handgun USPS legally where an individual must ship common carrier. Depending on your relationship with your FFL, it may be cheaper to ship USPS through FFL. Also, you should ensure the buyers FFL will accept from an individual, not all will.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
BUT - An FFL can ship a handgun USPS legally where an individual must ship common carrier. Depending on your relationship with your FFL, it may be cheaper to ship USPS through FFL. Also, you should ensure the buyers FFL will accept from an individual, not all will.
All true, but I would never use USPS for anything remotely valuable and yes, quite correct, you should confirm the receiving FFL will accept a firearm from an individual. Thanks for the clarification.

I paid $383 (new) for mine. I would not go above $300 for a well cared used one.

Edit: I bought mine at Rural King about 1.5 years ago. Checked their online price and they currently have it for $399.99, FWIW.

My sister got a 9mm version on sale for $299 Black Friday, the place she got hers also runs them @ $325-330 frequently, I wouldn't go over $300 for a 2 year old 1k round used one in either 9 or 40.

I agree that $300 is probably a fair price, although he'd likely be able to sell it on Armslist for $320 or maybe even $340. You can get them new for around $350, give or take, though it seems like there are always folks who would rather buy a used gun (and pay close to new prices) than actually buying a new gun. I paid $359 for mine new a few years ago.

Smith & Wesson also has a lifetime service policy on their firearms, which is supposed to not be transferable to a second owner (though Smith's customer service is usually pretty good, and they've fixed used guns for folks before). This, to me, adds a lot of value to buying it new. Personally, I wouldn't pay any more than $300 for a used Shield.

An individual can ship a handgun to an FFL holder, but apparently not all FFLs will accept a handgun from a private citizen. You should check current policies of the major shippers. USPS won't ship handguns for individuals, and a while ago Fedex wouldn't ship handguns and UPS required overnight or 2-day shipping. I found it less expensive to have my friendly LGS ship handguns for me. Seems like Maryland is a less gun-friendly state so you might check your state laws as well. I've bought and sold on GB and all have been good transactions, except for receiving a Ruger handgun one time that had a full magazine with one in the chamber, and it was shipped from an FFL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back