9mm S&W Shield

Please explain what this means.
As JohnPifer said, Kahrs should be loaded by releasing the slide via the slide lock. Manual specifies this and many people ignore it. You'll see all kinds of people shooting Kahrs on YouTube releasing the slide by hand. Some people can do it without issues, some can't.

The reason I believe, is that Kahrs have extremely stiff recoil springs. It is very easy to unintentionally "ride the slide" when loading if not releasing the slide stop. Many "problematic" Kahrs magically get reliable when this simple instruction is followed.

Kahrs have some other things going on as well, a trigger some love some hate, and slightly offset extremely steep feed ramps that can be ammo picky.

I think the shield will be my next purchase. Right now my Springfield xD mod2 is my favorite carry, I'm excited to compare them.

when i bought my sheild made in 2016, it had a propensity to guppy fired cases. i was concerned , but i knew SW had great CS and contacted SW and they sent me a label to send it back. They replace the barrel with a new one and no longer guppy . took a couple of weeks.
Was it expanding the fired case just at the unsupported area in the chamber, or was the whole case excessively expanding because the chamber was too large?

Was it expanding the fired case just at the unsupported area in the chamber, or was the whole case excessively expanding because the chamber was too large?
the unsupported area .just like some glocks used to. this was with standard pressure 9mm. never seen it before in 9mm so was surprised .seen it in 40 though. i did buy the gun used , but looking at it it was like brand new and i don't believe it was messed with in the past. there are other stories on the web about shields and guppy brass. i reload 9mm so guppy brass is irritating .

Kahrs are a bit quirky, I've had two that were great and another that was a pain. If you get a good one (most are) enjoy it. I carry a Kahr .380 almost constantly it is so small and comfortable it's like having your wallet you don't even think about it. Mine has been completely reliable but like anything others have not been so fortunate.

Many Kahr issues are caused by guys trying to rack by hand to load. Kahr even tells you not to do that but many still do then wonder why they have problems. Kahr recoil springs are really stiff so some people inadvertently cause issues trying to load by hand.

Are you talking about when you first work the action (slide) to chamber the first round from an inserted magazine?

Or are you talking about people maybe somehow trying to put one round in the chamber, a.k.a. "One in the hole" and then load their magazine? (Which, again, you would be moving the slide back by hand.) ?

i carry 2 extra mags with my sheild and stats tell me even one mag in the gun is enough for the average self defense scenario. when i feel i need more i strap on my G19 and 2 extra mags.
Considering 4 out of 5 bullets miss their mark by policemen.... And self defense means you use the firearm as a last resort and even then spraying bullets in public is a bad idea...The concept I teach and have been taught is not what many concealed carriers seem to practice.

What is guppy brass please?
glock-brass1.jpg

Are you talking about when you first work the action (slide) to chamber the first round from an inserted magazine?

Or are you talking about people maybe somehow trying to put one round in the chamber, a.k.a. "One in the hole" and then load their magazine? (Which, again, you would be moving the slide back by hand.) ?
The way to load a Kahr from a loaded mag is to lock the slide back, insert a full mag and release the slide stop to chamber. then remove mag and top off if desired.

i’m a revolver guy from way back, due to a lousy experience with a clapped out ww2 45acp semiauto pistol in basic training in 1972. i do have a s&w shield ez 380acp. i prefer 380acp over 9mm for its lighter recoil. the ez line of pistols is truly excellent, easy in all respects (shooting, handling, field stripping, loading, safety), though a tad large to serve as a discreet ccw. if s&w were to offer a mini ez in 32acp it would be a great pocket ccw. a s&w shield ez should be at the top of any semiauto pistol shopper’s list.
If you like a double action revolver feel check out the Kahr CW9

the unsupported area .just like some glocks used to. this was with standard pressure 9mm. never seen it before in 9mm so was surprised .seen it in 40 though. i did buy the gun used , but looking at it it was like brand new and i don't believe it was messed with in the past. there are other stories on the web about shields and guppy brass. i reload 9mm so guppy brass is irritating .
Take a 40 Glock and and have a tad weak case and bang you blow the gun. The case comes right off at the button and it either leaves the case in the chamber of breaks off the extractor. There was a period in the mid 90s where Federal made piles of those thin cased monstrosities in their government contract ammo. The cases were all marked with an FC on the button. I never heard of anyone blowing one that wasn't a Glock but in my case I blew 2 extractors, jammed 2 and had 2 or 3 more and jammed the gun yet twice more. It doesn't say much for that famous Glock Reliability . 9 MM didn't seem to have that issue but boy those Federal .40s are loaded HOT.

Take a 40 Glock and and have a tad weak case and bang you blow the gun. The case comes right off at the button and it either leaves the case in the chamber of breaks off the extractor. There was a period in the mid 90s where Federal made piles of those thin cased monstrosities in their government contract ammo. The cases were all marked with an FC on the button. I never heard of anyone blowing one that wasn't a Glock but in my case I blew 2 extractors, jammed 2 and had 2 or 3 more and jammed the gun yet twice more. It doesn't say much for that famous Glock Reliability . 9 MM didn't seem to have that issue but boy those Federal .40s are loaded HOT.

Yes. Can blow them right apart ..

2rr2w68-768x576.jpg

Very hot rounds can be dangerous.

Considering 4 out of 5 bullets miss their mark by policemen.... And self defense means you use the firearm as a last resort and even then spraying bullets in public is a bad idea...The concept I teach and have been taught is not what many concealed carriers seem to practice.

Do you have it stated someplace?

Do you have it stated someplace?
NRA: "Basics of Personal Protection Inside the Home", p.54: " police officers achieve hits less than 20% of the time"
also: https://www.politifact.com/factchec...e-7-10-police-bullets-miss-their-mark-gun-co/
"Hit ratios were below 30 percent for gunfights (18 percent) and from long ranges (23 percent from more than seven yards away). However, in cases where suspects did not return fire, NYPD officers hit their targets 30 percent of the time. Accuracy levels were above 30 percent when the target was seven yards away or closer (37 percent)."

NRA: "Basics of Personal Protection Inside the Home", p.54: " police officers achieve hits less than 20% of the time"
also: https://www.politifact.com/factchec...e-7-10-police-bullets-miss-their-mark-gun-co/
"Hit ratios were below 30 percent for gunfights (18 percent) and from long ranges (23 percent from more than seven yards away). However, in cases where suspects did not return fire, NYPD officers hit their targets 30 percent of the time. Accuracy levels were above 30 percent when the target was seven yards away or closer (37 percent)."Liz Cheney: Trump should respect ‘the sanctity of our electoral process’ (msn.com)
Stats in beautiful downtown Chop a little higher but not much. The average for shooting engagement by they way it Chop is 13 feet. How and H can you miss at 13 feet?

CarLuver got it, but yes when first loading the gun. When loading a Kahr the slide should be locked back, loaded magazine inserted and then a round chambered by releasing the slide lock. The stiff spring will slam the new round in with considerable force.

Back