Eyeballing a Ruger Security. 380

I favor .38 Special, 9mm and to a more limited extent, .380 ACP for carry purposes. Unfortunately for me, the only .380 I have is a garbage Bersa Thunder which was a lemon out of the gate and two trips to different gunsmiths failed to fix it. Junk...probably $125 trade value if the LGS guy is in a good mood.
I've researched several. 380s available. Some interesting choices.
The Girsan with the tip up barrel is interesting but gets pricey(for me). The Glock would be a consideration as I've never owned nor shot a Glock...but 7 rounds?? Nah...The S&W choices are ok...Bodyguard is too small...same with the LCP. BUT...the Ruger Security .380 seems to check most, if not all the boxes for size and capacity and probably comes in at about $330 all in.
Who owns one? Thoughts?

A little large but comes with some very nice features. I don't own one, but thought about replacing my LCP 2 with one.
Didn't care for the size.

A little large but comes with some very nice features. I don't own one, but thought about replacing my LCP 2 with one.
Didn't care for the size.
Yeah, I guess it falls into the compact category...definitely not subcompact. I don't have a problem with that though. And I prefer a larger thumb safety... but I can live with that too.

Any chance to hit a range and rent one? or have a buddy with one. Do some sort of try before buy.

Have you priced the cost of any spare mags you may want? am guessing you don’t need a new holster?

Could be...but I don't do indoor ranges. Too many clowns. Comes with a 10 and a 15 Rd.
Spare OEM 15s are about $45/2. I'd need a holster. I like OWB paddle holsters and Fobus makes one for it. I think I'm just going to go for it.

I had a star and was very disappointed with less penetration than a 22 lr. . Todays bullet technology is so good a 9 mm is a no brainer in a subcompact.

FWIW; is $ and the need / desire to train with what you carry a factor? More than once I almost bought into a .380 for cc. Decided against mostly due to the cost of ammo; more than .45 and nearby double 9mm. That and the factor of stocking another caliber kept me away.

To each their own, so I won't go off on a tangent about why you want a high cap .380 when you have a nice carry 9.

To get anything nicer than the Ruger in a high cap, you really are going to have to break out at least another Benjamin, probably 2.5 of them to be honest.

The Girsan is a really nice looking piece.

Send the Thunder back as many times as necessary then find a private party to sell it to. You can get 2 bills for it easy, then the Girsan is much more attractive price wise.

Yeah. They were very good about the warranty work and shipping to their authorized gunsmiths...but 2 times is 2 times to many for me. Bersa has poor QC.

understood

Send the Thunder back as many times as necessary then find a private party to sell it to.

Agree.

I have nothing against Ruger, but for the money i would look close at the girsan which looks like a straight up rip off of a Beretta Cheatah. Its its put together well id go for that in a seconds if i was prices sensitive.

Beretta has reintroduced the Cheetah series but a genuine one os gong to come in at close to double, and i'm not sure you can get the tip up barrel.

I tend toward Colt Mustangs for my 380s as well but they are out of production, small and were not cheap.

To each their own, so I won't go off on a tangent about why you want a high cap .380 when you have a nice carry 9.

To get anything nicer than the Ruger in a high cap, you really are going to have to break out at least another Benjamin, probably 2.5 of them to be honest.

The Girsan is a really nice looking piece.

Send the Thunder back as many times as necessary then find a private party to sell it to. You can get 2 bills for it easy, then the Girsan is much more attractive price wise.
You were legit up to the 2 bills for the Bersa...but that could be regional.... they're l$250 max... everywhere. Respect re: tangent...I'm a retired NZj State cop...I know what I want...I can filter the Internet warrior advice.

380 ammo come down in price I love my 380.

Attachments

• IMG_4065.jpeg
    IMG_4065.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4066.jpeg
    IMG_4066.jpeg
    261.7 KB · Views: 34
As the owner of a gun store I can say that Ruger's semi-auto handguns are trash. They should stick to revolvers. And there are way more 9mm options in that size gun.

since the 380 is basically a 9mm short..
why not a 9mm compact with lower power ammo.

Think Bersa has a lifetime warranty… give them a shout.
A lifetime warranty is a promise on a piece of paper, at what point during a gunfight do you want to take advantage of it?
Seriously, look In a Sig P365, .380 and 9mm are the same size and capacity (10 rounds) depending on your recoil tolerance (I carry the P365x, 12 rounds) Holster choices are many. Excellent, reliable pistol.
I find the Federal 147gr HST very comfortable to shoot in mine.

Back