Need a cheap subcompact pistol...suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After selling the Glock a few days ago, I really don't feel comfortable not being armed here in Houston. I want to get something inexpensive that will be for home & concealed carry, and will likely not be a "range gun".

Choices--

Taurus Millenium (1gen) 9mm- ~$279
Bersa Thunder .380 - ~$269....there is one used on TX Gun Trader for $200 though.
Ruger LCP .380 - ~$349 (way max, actually more than I'd like to spend)

I have shot the LCP and find the trigger pull way too long, and the pistol pretty small for my large hands. Very easy to conceal and carry though. The Taurus is small but fits my hands well, I just am having a hard time finding the 1gen model that is cheaper, the current generation is better but $330+. The Bersa has a great feel in my hand and I like the backstrap, and the price is right, but may be awkward to carry due to its shape, and for that size I'd rather have the Taurus with extra capacity and 9mm round (easier to find).

I wish I had not sold my other Phoenix Arms HP22A, a very tiny 10-rnd .22LR semiauto pistol that gets the job done and is under $150, will have to wait for the gun show to come back around.

Other suggestions? I'd like to keep it under $300 so that I can still use my "profits" from the Glock to pay bills, but not be left unarmed. The other option is a cheap Shotgun like the Mossberg Maverick 88 ($189), or a semiauto .22LR rifle like the Marlin 795 ($129) that can be used as a plinker and get my wife used to shooting a firearm....then I would have more $$ left over for bills.

Thoughts? Used stuff around here is pretty expensive. I went to my first pawn shop yesterday, and the place was aweful (despite "good" reviews)...stank of alcohol, stuff was pretty ratty like a really bad garage sale, and I was the only one there without a drug problem (lots of family members like that, you can spot 'em a mile away when you are close to that kind of crowd)....don't think I am going to go that route.

Taurus Millenium .40 or .45 was my first thought when I initially read your post. Under $300 bucks is going to be tough to do for one that's still in good shape. I've seen some pretty well priced 357 4" revolvers around gun shows lately too, but I don't know if that fits your concealment parameters due to their width. My carry gun is a taurus judge and if I can get a single shot off I know that I'll be ok.

Last edited:
I seem to remember there were some problems with the first gen Taurus Millenium. Check out the Kel-Tec line up.

FYI

The FBI allows agents to choose between a Glock 22 or 23. The G-23 is the compact model and is a .40 S&W. With fast and light Winchester 155 gr HP ammo it passed tons of tests.

I had a G-19 9mm...same size as the G-23. Perfect size. Not too small and not too big...but lots of fire power in either caliber.
Can use Winchester Lawman 127gr HP +P+.

The 9mm is cheaper to practice with and with 127gr +P+ about the same ballitics as the .40 S&W HP's.

Having said that ..if I was in your position I would go with the G-23 and not look back. Smaller baby Glocks are a bit impracticle I think.

As far as price goes...if you feel you need it...don't comprimise. Save up and "duck" in the mean time.

.380 is just not a well proven caliber...you need a 9mm with a 4" barrel.

Possible a .38 special six shooter with the ability to use +P might be a better choice over a .380.

My .02

Last edited:
How about the Kel Tec PF-9...

I'm not sure about the reliability though, and I believe the trigger pull is pretty long.
Somewhat inexpensive, and made here in the U.S.A.
34.gif

My sympathies for having to sell your nice Glock 23.
frown.gif
Hope your wife's doing well.

Have you considered something by Kel Tec? Their .380 cal P3AT falls into the price range you're looking at. And it is obviously the gun the tiny Ruger was patterned after. KT also makes a P32 in .32 ACP.

Or for something about the size of the Bersa- how about something in a serious self-defense cartridge, a Kel Tec P11? ~5.6" long, 4.3" tall(a bit taller with a "pinkie rest" magazine base-plate), 1" thick, DAO trigger, about $300 new,holds 10 + 1(or, in the same size magazine, 12 + 1!) shots. Those shots are 9mm Luger too, not .380. Whole pistol unloaded weighs ~14 oz, about 21-22 oz loaded w/11, a bit more w/13. Use the MecGar made KelTec magazines for serious purposes.

If you're a fairly big guy, the P11 can be used as a front pocket pistol with slacks- think pleated front.
wink.gif
It's very popular with the LE folks as a backup & off-duty gun- though many won't admit to carrying it.
grin2.gif
Just not enough snob appeal, I guess. Accessories available include a neat little belt clip for IWB carry without a holster. The Parkerized or plated finish is much more resistant to rust than the blued slide. The P11 is a proven design, introduced in 1995 with almost no changes made since.

You say you have big hands? Then you can probably completely hide a P11 in your hand(probably could hide 2 P32's or P3AT's!). And a P11 would give you up to 13 rounds of hot 9mm+P. The DAO trigger uses 8.5 lb spring.

Or there's the newer Kel Tec PF9- holds 7+1 9mm, is near the same length & height as the P11, but is about 1/8" slimmer, lighter weight, and has a different trigger system with a lighter pull than the P11. Approximately the same price I think. Would undoubtedly be a little better for front pocket carry than the P11.

Here's a link to the Kel Tec Owners Group website(KTOG! Sound similar to an oil-related website you know of?): http://www.ktog.org/

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info...Kel-Tecs seems to command a premium around here, and hardly anyone sells them new (just used). I'll search around.

Pete591-- the Glock that I just sold was a G23...darn near perfect pistol in my eyes, just a tad large to carry but an absolute dream to handle and shoot. I'll definitely get another down the road, but for now I just need something smaller and less expensive.

I examined a PF9, and found that the slide stop was fairly poorly designed. The gun would not lock the slide back with an empty magazine.

I bought a Glock 26 instead. I firmly believe that you get what you pay for. The Glock 26, or perhaps the Springfield XD subcompact are the cheapest subcompact 9mm pistols I would trust my life to.

chevrofreak,

Are you sure the slide is designed to lock back on a PF9?

Kel-Tec's P-3AT (.380) doesn't lock back, this is by design, because there's simply no room for that mechanism.

Originally Posted By: Solo2driver
Thanks for the info...Kel-Tecs seems to command a premium around here, and hardly anyone sells them new (just used). I'll search around.

Pete591-- the Glock that I just sold was a G23...darn near perfect pistol in my eyes, just a tad large to carry but an absolute dream to handle and shoot. I'll definitely get another down the road, but for now I just need something smaller and less expensive.

I'd likely go look for a used G23/G19 if I were you.

Originally Posted By: cos
chevrofreak,

Are you sure the slide is designed to lock back on a PF9?

Kel-Tec's P-3AT (.380) doesn't lock back, this is by design, because there's simply no room for that mechanism.

It has a slide stop, and a tab that is supposed to engage the follower on the magazine.

I know you said pistol but have you thought about a small revolver like a S&W 642? Its only 5 rounds of 38+P but its small and I got mine for $330 bucks new. Not a range gun for sure but its nice and small and fits in your pocket.

Buying my old Phoenix Arms HP22A back from the buddy I sold it to, it's not ideal but gets the job done and is very easy to conceal/carry on a daily basis, and the price is right :)

PhoenixArmsHP22A.jpg

I used to have one of those. They're alright. I shot mine so much that the slide snapped in half. The magazine catch was worn out long before that, though.

Like I said, the price was right...my last ammo purchase at Wal-Mart for .40S&W cost more than this pistol :) I put 600 rounds through it, and my buddy just threw it in a drawer. I'll shoot it every once and a while, but otherwise just carry. Beats not having anything.

I'd go with a bear banger. You can carry it concealed in your butt crack.
48.gif

PS: A friend mounted remote-conrolled bear bangers on his R/C plane once.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back