CCW for the wife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the wife is just getting into the idea of carrying a pistol. So in a few months Id like to get her her very own concealed carry pistol. But ugh theres so many choices! Im mainly looking for something cheaper, comfortable, and not an LCP, thats my carry pistol
wink.gif
. Im going to get myself a Kel-Tec P11 here real soon so I wont get her that. Im thinking perhaps a Kel-Tec P3AT or a Taurus .380 with a pink frame. But hey somebody throw some ideas out at me. Im going to stick with either a 9 or .380. Calibers I already stock is what I like to buy.

Snubby 5 shot 38 Special. I know it's not 9mm or .380, but it's the original point and click interface.

The P3AT is a very good choice for anyone looking for a very small, concealable gun in my opinion. A LC9 might be worth looking into as well. Really she needs to see and feel all the guns, then shoot the two or three she likes best to make a decision.

I'm just not a fan of revolvers for concealed carry. They tend to be bulkier than the autoloaders, reloads are equally bulky and less likely to be carried because of that, and the ones that are light enough to be easily carried tend to get kinda nasty with the recoil.

My wife likes he Kahr PM9 very much. That thing is smaller and lighter than many .380 ACP pistols yet works perfectly fine with 9mmP +P loads. Recoil isn't trivial, but it's not uncontrollable by any means.

I totally agree to take her out and get her hands on bunches of guns. Let her pick what she likes.

BSW

Why don't you let her try and practice in a shooting range to see what she's comfortable with? Make sure she get lots of practice so she feels comfortable with it.

Smith is coming out with a 9mm J-Frame later this year. Although, I would not trade even .38 Spl, let alone .357M for a 9 mm in the same size revolver. J-Frames like Bodyguard, 442, M&P340 (much better build quality) are not bulkier by any stretch of reality IMHO.

Perhaps 'bulkier' was a bad choice of words. 'Flatter' probably would have been better.

Don't get me wrong, I really like wheel guns. But, in my opinion, they are just harder to shoot than autoloaders. Triggers are generally always DA, the bore is high leading to worse flipping, and the manual of arms for reloading is much more complex.

BSW

Not much to argue here. It is, as always, a matter of compromise. For a lady, a [short-barrel] revolver could be harder or easier to shoot. It all depends.. DA/SA triggers in shaking hands may be better or not? Confidence is primary to the weapon and caliber choice.
She could also look at Walther PPS, although it is bulky for my pockets, ladies may carry their guns differently.
'It doesn't matter how big a ranch ya' own, or how many cows ya' brand,the size of your funeral is still gonna depend on the weather.' -- Harry Truman.

Maybe it's just the way my hands are shaped, or maybe it's the delayed blowback vs straight blowback, but I find the recoil from the PPK and P230 to be harsher than the PM9.

Try them all.

BSW

First off - good move. My wife carries (XD .40) because I cannot always be there to protect her and we all know the cops aren't going to be around until after the fact.

So, as long as she is comfortable and competent with semi-auto's then next is to just get her a good quality gun she prefers. You can rent them at many ranges so it is always a good idea to let her atleast "feel" what a certain gun/caliber will do when fired. For not so smart ladies, the revolver is the way to go. But, since you are looking at pistols...do check the one's you listed but don't forget to cross shop Taurus and Walther, etc. I can see your point in wanting to stock the same ammo for simplicity and all, but if at all possible - dump the .380. 9mm is already marginal and .380 is even less. Not to be hard on the 9/.380 because they can be decent performers with the right ammo and todays technology is very surprising....but still .380 is not any smaller than a comparable 9mm in many gun models today. Go bigger.

Last edited:
My PPK/S has light recoil. I won't say "no recoil" but low enough to not even mention. Much less than a 9mm of similar size and lower weight. (PX4 Storm sub-compact)

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Glock 26.

Pull the trigger, gun goes BANG.

Unless you're a complete moron.

Guy I worked with believed all the stuff about Glocks being able to be cleaned in the dishwasher and 'lube only attracts dirt'.

That combination got his Glock slide to seize on the frame. Two drops of CLP applied to slide grooves eventually freed up the slide, after it had time to creep in. As I recall the striker spring was rusty and the striker was seized also.

Everything worked right after the pistol was lubricated.

Don't get me wrong, if I had to buy 10,000 pistols to give to 10,000 boneheads, Glock would probably get the order. But they aren't completely idiot proof.

BSW

Originally Posted By: bsmithwins
Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Glock 26.

Pull the trigger, gun goes BANG.

Unless you're a complete moron.

Guy I worked with believed all the stuff about Glocks being able to be cleaned in the dishwasher and 'lube only attracts dirt'.

That combination got his Glock slide to seize on the frame. Two drops of CLP applied to slide grooves eventually freed up the slide, after it had time to creep in. As I recall the striker spring was rusty and the striker was seized also.

Everything worked right after the pistol was lubricated.

Don't get me wrong, if I had to buy 10,000 pistols to give to 10,000 boneheads, Glock would probably get the order. But they aren't completely idiot proof.

BSW

hmmm. This post may be the full of fail post of the year!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back