Glock 42 vs Glock 43 for CCW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am interested in a CCW pistol for when I am on the trails as well as around town. I am planning on pocket carry and using a OWB holster. IWB is not feasible since I am fairly small=framed and it is pretty uncomfortable for me.

I have shot both at the range, G42 is a real soft shooter, G43 probably has twice the felt recoil. G42 would probably conceal better however I have not owned a 380 before and I am not sure about ballistics/stopping power for a self-defense/trail animal situation. I want to stay with Glock since I have had a G19 for the past 10 years and am very comfortable with the platform.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Thank you

Easier to find GOOD self defense ammo in 9mm. G43 gets my vote..I carry one with Speer Gold Dots.

I would only ever recommend a 380 pistol for women or those with hand/dexterity issues.

Food for thought:

-Carry the firearm you are most familiar and proficient with, in this case that sounds like the 19. Carry the G19 and take the money you would have pumped into a smaller firearm and invest it in a good holster, ammo and range time for the 19.

-The 19 is small enough to fit in a cargo pocket and definitely small enough to fit under a loose fitting button down. Your wardrobe should be built around the firearm and equipment (spare magazine, knife, flashlight etc.) you intend to use to save your life, not the other way around.

-Carrying a gun often times is less than "comfortable" but in time will be second nature and you wont even realize its there. Just one of those things you should get used to when open/concealed/constitutional carrying as a responsible citizen.
49.gif

Good luck!
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
I own the Glock 42, Glock 43, Glock 26, Glock 19, and Glock 17 (plus a few more)

I have huge pockets and I can comfortably pocket carry the G42, G43, and G26.

The G42 is a such a smooth shooter. Low recoil. Accurate. I find myself carrying it a lot lately.

On two legged critters, it would be a rare occurrence where a 380 didn't achieve the desired outcome, but a 9MM did. The .380 (9x17 or 9MM Corto, all the same) was a military and police caliber for decades and will completely punch a through and thought hole through a person easily.

When I was a cop, for whatever reason, the .380 caliber was the biggest street homicide gun out there. Tons of dead thugs.

Honestly, I'd say buy both, and start with the G42 as its lighter weight and easier to carry.

Don't forget to look at the Smith & Wesson 642/637 or Ruger LCR for other, lightweight hiking guns. You can load those up with heavy for caliber hiking type loads that would work great on 4 legged critters, as well as two legged. A .357 magnum snub nose would also be a great choice.

I definitely agree with the advice to carry what you're comfortable shooting.

That said, in your part of Missouri do you encounter black bears or wild hogs while hiking on trails? If so, I would even question whether 9mm is adequate. Just a thought. What I carry hiking in the woods here on the outskirts of Anchorage is different than what I might carry in the urban setting.

I'm not saying my situation is the same as yours of course, just something to think about.

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
Hi, I am interested in a CCW pistol for when I am on the trails as well as around town. I am planning on pocket carry and using a OWB holster. IWB is not feasible since I am fairly small=framed and it is pretty uncomfortable for me.

There is no pocket carry with the 43, unless you plan on wearing XL cargo pants.
Even the 42 is not for front pocket carry with all pants. Some pants that fit tighter or have smaller front pockets, I use my Beretta Pico, daughter's Ruger LCP or my wife's Keltec P32

If you want a pocket carry gun, look no further than the LCP .380 made by Ruger.

Not the prettiest thing, but it gets the job done and is better than throwing rocks.

I carry a 42 in my pocket everywhere, every day. I bought the 42 before Glock released the 43 or I may have bought the 43.
I rented a 43 at the range and it was a little snappy but not too bad. Also, the 43 is just slightly larger than the 42 and it just didn't fit in my pocket as well as the 42.
They are both fine handguns.
And don't let anyone tell you that a .380 doesn't have the same "stopping power" as a 9 mm.
I researched .380 defensive ammo and found a round that passes the F.B.I. protocol as far as penetration is concerned.
I settled on The Precision One load of the Hornady XTP bullet. This round penetrates the F.B.I. standard of 12" - 18" with perfect expansion.
Check out Shooting the Bull's .380 ammo quest on You Tube.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: TOMJ
I carry a 42 in my pocket everywhere, every day. I bought the 42 before Glock released the 43 or I may have bought the 43.
I rented a 43 at the range and it was a little snappy but not too bad. Also, the 43 is just slightly larger than the 42 and it just didn't fit in my pocket as well as the 42.
They are both fine handguns.
And don't let anyone tell you that a .380 doesn't have the same "stopping power" as a 9 mm.
I researched .380 defensive ammo and found a round that passes the F.B.I. protocol as far as penetration is concerned.
I settled on The Precision One load of the Hornady XTP bullet. This round penetrates the F.B.I. standard of 12" - 18" with perfect expansion.
Check out Shooting the Bull's .380 ammo quest on You Tube.

Hope this helps.

good info....

Can you get a .357SIG barrel (and maybe mag) for the 43? There's your trail animal caliber (for short barrel sub-compact)... or .40s&w barrel and mag.

While I'd take a 380 over nothing any day looking at the ballistic numbers I'd be hard pressed to intentionally select it. There is a lot of good 9mm ammo out there which will meet the FBI test standards; that is what I would (and in my Shield, did) select.

They're both good, reliable guns. I've shot them both. Pick the one that you like. Seriously.

They both shoot well, but there is a lot less muzzle flip/recoil in the G42...why? Because there is a lot less energy in a .380 than in a 9mm. Basic physics. You're not getting something (equal ballistics) for nothing (reduced recoil).

That said, the best gun for YOU is the gun that you can shoot well and that you will carry. If the G42 size and recoil suits you better, then get the G42!

A .380 beats harsh language any day.

If I were to choose a caliber for defense against animals on a trail, it would be a lot more than a 9mm, but what I choose has little to do with what you can shoot well.

If you can't shoot it well, the gun is useless.

If you don't like it because it's got too much recoil, so you leave it home, it's also useless.

So, you're asking a question about a gun, but it's really a question that can only be answered by considering the system performance of the platform/caliber/shooter. Each factor matters, and considering one factor (caliber) without the context of the others, is pointless in your real-world question.

You need to narrow down what you want to do. Pocket carry and OWB are pretty far apart. Most guns carry nice with OWB. For trails with OWB you already have a 19. I'd go with a 43 for around town. OWB if you have to. I like .38s and up for carry. With better holsters you could probably carry the 19 you already have.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Can you get a .357SIG barrel (and maybe mag) for the 43? There's your trail animal caliber (for short barrel sub-compact)... or .40s&w barrel and mag.

No. Can't think of any conversion barrel that increases cartridge diameter, can you? .357Sig in a 43? Good grief.

When I go hiking/biking/camping I size up not down.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

No. Can't think of any conversion barrel that increases cartridge diameter, can you? .357Sig in a 43? Good grief.

Yeah, unfortunately not.

A while back, I was wishing a .357 barrel was available for the Kahr PM40. I think that would be awesome. .357 MAG power in a pocket auto.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

The G42 is a such a smooth shooter. Low recoil. Accurate. I find myself carrying it a lot lately.

On two legged critters, it would be a rare occurrence where a 380 didn't achieve the desired outcome, but a 9MM did.

This. I own both. I shoot the 42 better. It is now the only gun I carry and practice with.

Stormlake, Lone Wolf, and KKM to name a few that offer .357SIG barrels for different Glock models. What's your point again?

Stormlake, Lone Wolf, and KKM to name a few that offer .357SIG barrels for different Glock models. What's your point again?

The point is this, does anyone offer a conversion barrel that increases the cartridge diameter of the host pistol? EG from 9mm to .40 or .40 to .45 etc? Don't think so. This is what you proposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back