Pocket Carry Ruger LCP 380

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many micro pocket pistols have trouble with various specific designs of hollow-points. We use Fiochhi FMJs in our micro .380 Beretta Pico and Keltec P32.
Next size-up is my .380 Glock G42 and that gets fed Gold Dots HPs. One must have 100% reliability when carrying, even thou 100% is not guaranteed with any product made today, yesterday and probably tomorrow too..

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Sorry to hear the Precision One proved unreelable to use as a defense ammo as the penetration with expansion is one of the better 380 JHP loads .

Precision One is flat out garbage. It absolutely positively is NOT one of the "better" defensive JHP loads.

The first rule of fight club is to have a gun that works. And that means having a loaded ammo that at least has enough power to reliably cycle the action. What if the gun was neglected and no longer has lube on it? What if it has pocket lint on it? Carry guns, are, well, carried, and are often neglected, and often under lubricated, and often dirty or dusty. You might need a hotter ammo to make up for that.

Precision One .380 - 756 feet per second in Shooting the Bull test

Hornady Critical Defense .380 - 910 feet per second in lucky gunner test

Hornady Custom XTP .380 - 910 feet per second in lucky gunner test

Remington Golden Sabre .380 - 907 feet per second in lucky gunner test

Speer Gold Dot .380 - 937 feet per second in lucky gunner test

Winchester Ranger T .380 - 918 feet per second in lucky gunner test

As you can see, all of the "real" defensive loads, by "real" ammo companies, are at least 900 feet per second, in .380 caliber. Precision One is 150 feet per second slower. This is NOT defensive ammo. This is an ammo company that loads their loads light, to save money. Yes gun powder cost money, and these fly by night companies will load their ammo light.

So yes, a hot Gold Dot at 937 feet per second that penetrates 11 inches, and expands to .50, is superior to a Precision One, that is loaded to 756 feet per second, that is loaded so low power that it may or may not operate the slide when you need it.

And just for added educational material, the 95 grain FMJ in .380 punches way beyond what you would expect. They penetrate deep, they tumble once they hit flesh, and in real world use, they are pretty effective, and actually more effective than 9MM FMJ in most test I have seen, due to the tumbling wounding mechanism. 9MM FMJ almost never tumbles and just bores a clean hole right through.

Solved the problem. Not only have I put Gold Dots back in the .380 and relegated the remaining Precision One to range ammo status, I bought a Sig P365.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by MGF1964
Solved the problem. Not only have I put Gold Dots back in the .380 and relegated the remaining Precision One to range ammo status, I bought a Sig P365.
wink.gif

Is it this one below?.......
micro-nitron Sig Sauer 9mm

I really like it. If that's the one, what sold you on-it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by MGF1964
wink.gif

Is it this one below?.......
micro-nitron Sig Sauer 9mm

I really like it. If that's the one, what sold you on-it?

Yep, that's the one.
Re what sold me on it, I'd say a combo of factors, its small size for a 9mm being No. 1.
No. 2 would probably be the reputation of the maker and that particular model, as well as my own experiences with SIG (all good to date). I've also shot a friend's in this model and found it quite shootable and accurate for such a compact little fellow.
No. 3 would be my current small guns, which include the Beretta 21A, LCP and SW 642. I'm OK in the small handgun department and also in the 9mm category, as I have a SigPro 2022 and a Shield. So, if this one works out, terrific. If not and I choose to sell it or trade it, I'm still covered and it's no great tragedy.
No. 4 would just be the combo of the gun's characteristics, the rather nice trigger being high on the list. As I might occasionally pocket this gun, I chose the model with manual safety. Given that type of carry and the relative lightness of the trigger, I felt it prudent. And as the manual of arms is no different than my Shield, I don't think getting competent with running it will be an issue. I also like the relatively high capacity for such a compact gun.
Will get it out for a range workout on Saturday and report back on first impressions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gebo
There are so many choices for pocket and purse carry for a Ruger LCP 380. What do you like for a pocket carry? Is there a better idea for my wife to carry in her purse?

Good choice, also the Taurus TCP (which is nice because the slide will lock after last round) Lifetime warranty too.
Anyway, they both shoot, personal choice.

As far as revolvers, true, more simple, wont jam but your wife will tire of carrying one (actually anyone will when you have the choices above) and if you dont carry because its too big and heavy, then what is the point?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
There are so many choices for pocket and purse carry for a Ruger LCP 380. What do you like for a pocket carry? Is there a better idea for my wife to carry in her purse?

Good choice, also the Taurus TCP (which is nice because the slide will lock after last round) Lifetime warranty too.

As far as revolvers, true, more simple, wont jam but your wife will tire of carrying one (actually anyone will when you have the choices above) and if you dont carry because its too big and heavy, then what is the point?

If you can't carry one of these any gun is going to be to much to carry for you

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-60

Just go to a print shop and have the print you up some nice I'm a Victim stickers.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Just go to a print shop and have the print you up some nice I'm a Victim stickers.

Ummm .. no .. this is a better choice and what the OP is looking for. Guess what? it shoots bullets, reliably too.
Wife can put it in any size purse.

[Linked Image from 4.bp.blogspot.com]

Last edited:

Ummm .. no .. this is a better choice and what the OP is looking for. Guess what? it shoots bullets, reliably too.
Wife can put it in any size purse.

[Linked Image from 4.bp.blogspot.com]

Yes and I'll bet it has massive amounts of energy. Thanks but not thanks I'll stick with my model 60.

While I think caliber wars are generally asinine, compilation/study of actual shooting data and incapacitation shows it trails the 38 Spl slightly if at all. That data's been out there for examination for more than a decade.
And while I wouldn't necessarily put forth a polymer-framed .380 (LCP, TCP, P3AT, etc) for a new or inexperienced shooter, they have their uses, especially for deep concealment.
Also, the cliche or truism that "the gun you have on you is better than the one left at home" is true.
The "victim sticker" stuff may be internet manly as all [censored], but it's twaddle.

For real. Every Taurus fan always likes to talk about their lifetime warranty when Taurus has one of the slowest turn around times in the industry. Smith also has a lifetime warranty but their reliability is much, much better. I used to have a Taurus revolver many years ago. One of the screws backed out and was lost. I called them, gave them the model number, etc., and they sent me the wrong screw twice. Took the third time to get the right ones. Sold it and never looked back. At least I didn't have to send it in and wait months to get it back.

Had a friend buy a Taurus semi auto .45 from a dealer at a gun show. Took it to the range with us. Shooting our reloads (we had shot many thousands of these rounds in 1911 variants) it wouldn't go bang when the trigger was pulled. With factory rounds it would go bang, but the action would not cycle.
Seller refused to take it back (Utah gun store selling at a Las Vegas gun show). Friend did some research and found the gun had already been back to Taurus to be fixed. It wasn't. Apparently the seller thought to fix the unfixable problem by unloading a known defective gun at a gun show. Problem was they accepted payment by credit card through their store account.
Friend boxed the gun up and shipped it to their store, then disputed the charges. Got his money back. Disreputable shop tried to ship it back to him, but he refused delivery.
Too much drama for a gun. I'll never own a Taurus.

I will never buy another Taurus again. If I can find a sledgehammer, I would smash my PT111 G2 to pieces and send it back to Miami Taurus Headquarters that way.

Have never bought a Taurus. Have had friends who had 'em and bragged on 'em and the "deal" they got, I've just nodded along.
Personally, I think their quality control is lacking. And when I put down my cash for a gun, I want a reasonable chance of being pleased with it from Day 1 and staying so for a reasonable amount of time and rounds downrange.
Everybody's got choices to make with his or her cash, Taurus just ain't one of my choices.

Oh my!
This is to the OP.

The Ruger LCP and Taurus TCP are great pistols for your wife, there will never be a time when she will feel like its too much to carry with her and like me and others posted in here, you cant protect yourself if you leave it at home. There is no one in this forum that would like to test this out and get shot by a 380. Come on already.

The Taurus and Ruger can even be carried on your belt concealed in a case not much different then older cell phone sized cases. Personally, for what you are looking for I would only consider those two.

As far as brands, like any forum, there will be some that trash the value leader in the industry for no good reason, one of the worlds largest gun makers too.
Stories from people will always be told, including one right above this post from someone who never owned one but feels compelled to comment at least he admits his friends like them, a rare treat that someone is that honest.
In case you dont know, Ruger had far more problems with the LCP when it first came out, like anything, it doesnt matter, these are mature reliable pistols and both have good warrantees that you will never need.

My wife and I own three different Taurus models, each has been rock solid reliable, I was hesitant years ago because of forum comments, until watching actual reviews online from experts, add to that, the major police equipment supplier to the entire state that I live in had very positive comments. its a gun, it shoots, killer warranty for life, one of the largest gun makers in the world didnt get there based on comments in here.

Literally have shot 1000 rounds through these pistols and I would be hard pressed think or less then a handful of times that I had a FTF. Most all when brand new and breaking in.
As far as the guy who would smash it into pieces, well, go to any gun forum specific to a manufacturer of any product, there is always someone unhappy and again his comments are not on the TCP

Last edited:
I will never buy another Taurus again. If I can find a sledgehammer, I would smash my PT111 G2 to pieces and send it back to Miami Taurus Headquarters that way.

Had a Beretta clone in 9mm very functional and accurate. the only issue I didn't like was no adjustable rear sight. Also the resale price wasn't that good. But I don't have an issue with Taurus other than that. I'd buy a used one next time.

Johnny
A useless trigger equals a useless gun. Lesson-learned in their junk double-action trigger.

Also, there's a catch on Taurus' lifetime warranty. They don't prepay to have pistols sent back to them and they insist on only one method of delivery to them. It cost me around $65 one-way shipping, only to have the pistol sent back to me three weeks later, saying all my trigger slop and the trigger-itself laying 1/8th of an inch away from the back of the trigger guard, prior to trigger squeeze, was within their spec. So in essence, I paid an additional $65 for the Taurus PT111 G2 and it sits in my socks drawer, next to my bed, with less than 500 shots fired (3-4 weeks of gun range) and adding dust monthly.

I almost bought the inexpensive, small Kahr CM9 back then (only $75 more) and regret not doing so.

Last edited:
Johnny
A useless trigger equals a useless gun. Lesson-learned in their junk double-action trigger.

Also, there's a catch on Taurus' lifetime warranty. They don't prepay to have pistols sent back to them and they insist on only one method of delivery to them. It cost me around $65 one-way shipping, only to have the pistol sent back to me three weeks later, saying all my trigger slop and the trigger-itself laying 1/8th of an inch away from the back of the trigger guard, prior to trigger squeeze, was within their spec. So in essence, I paid an additional $65 for the Taurus PT111 G2 and it sits in my socks drawer, next to my bed, with less than 500 shots fired (3-4 weeks of gun range) and adding dust monthly.

I almost bought the inexpensive, small Kahr CM9 back then (only $75 more) and regret not doing so.

The Kahr CM9 is a good choice and twice I've done that. They were both used and like new and very reasonably priced under $300.

Oh my!
This is to the OP.

The Ruger LCP and Taurus TCP are great pistols for your wife, there will never be a time when she will feel like its too much to carry with her and like me and others posted in here, you cant protect yourself if you leave it at home. There is no one in this forum that would like to test this out and get shot by a 380. Come on already.

The Taurus and Ruger can even be carried on your belt concealed in a case not much different then older cell phone sized cases. Personally, for what you are looking for I would only consider those two.

As far as brands, like any forum, there will be some that trash the value leader in the industry for no good reason, one of the worlds largest gun makers too.
Stories from people will always be told, including one right above this post from someone who never owned one but feels compelled to comment at least he admits his friends like them, a rare treat that someone is that honest.
In case you dont know, Ruger had far more problems with the LCP when it first came out, like anything, it doesnt matter, these are mature reliable pistols and both have good warrantees that you will never need.

My wife and I own three different Taurus models, each has been rock solid reliable, I was hesitant years ago because of forum comments, until watching actual reviews online from experts, add to that, the major police equipment supplier to the entire state that I live in had very positive comments. its a gun, it shoots, killer warranty for life, one of the largest gun makers in the world didnt get there based on comments in here.

Literally have shot 1000 rounds through these pistols and I would be hard pressed think or less then a handful of times that I had a FTF. Most all when brand new and breaking in.
As far as the guy who would smash it into pieces, well, go to any gun forum specific to a manufacturer of any product, there is always someone unhappy and again his comments are not on the TCP

Dang, that's an impassioned defense of Taurus!
I almost feel bad about myself.(Nah, not really.)
Actually, I'd imagine the TCP would work out for a lot of people, maybe me included. The LCP I, the TCP and the P3AT are virtually the same design and are what they are: simple, polymer-framed blowback .380s available for around $200.
Personally, with prices as they stand today, I think the LCP 1 is the obvious best buy. And I'm fully cognizant I've influenced no one here. (Oh, my!)
I don't run Taurus handguns 'cause I've personally seen enough of 'em with QC issues that I just don't care to put my gun money there.
If you want to sing their praises .. 'Murica! Have at it.
OTH, they are they people who actually tried to sell The Curve. In public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back