Guns For Wives

The tungsten rods, and I called them rods because, well they are rods in shape, go into pre-molded slots in the grip itself, they sit physically, just aft of the magazine well.

I glued them in place with some clear, silicone sealant, so there is no chance of them moving and potentially disturbing firearm function.

They are not guide rods. They are simply weights, and tungsten has twice the density of lead, so it’s a good choice for adding weight.

Because the weight is added low, in the grip itself, it changes the center of mass of the gun, as well as the total mass of the gun. There’s a noticeable reduction in both perceived recoil, and muzzle flip, with those tungsten weights in place.

I have tried a tungsten guide rod in a Glock. I didn’t notice any difference.

However, to be fair to the folks that sold it to me, I also increased the recoil spring strength at the same time, so perhaps the positive of the guide rod weight was offset by the negative of the increased recoil spring strength.

That was in a 10 mm, and the Glock 10 mm is known for a relatively weak spring compared with the recoil. If you shoot full pressure ammo (not the usual 10 mm fare, loaded to .40 specs, as most of the rounds on the market are) in a 10 mm, you’re going to get some wide variation in muzzle velocity.

The breach simply opens a bit early on a Glock when shooting full power 10mm rounds. The increased recoil spring strength enables better consistency but it does increase perceived recoil a little bit.

Anyway, don’t confuse the use of the word “rod“ in this case with the part of a gun known as a guide rod, that’s not what I intended, and I’m sorry for the resultant confusion.
No, I made the assumption.. thank you for the explanation and link.

Back