Eyeballing a Ruger Security. 380

Take a look at the KAHR .380. Love my CW380.
Have a first gen LCP .380 but it's not a good gun for more that a few feet.

Take a look at the KAHR .380. Love my CW380.
Have a first gen LCP .380 but it's not a good gun for more that a few feet.
The Kahrs are not everyone’s cup of tea, but I carried my CW380 far more than anything else for years. Still have it but rarely carry it anymore, the Ruger LCP Max is not much bigger and packs a staggering 13 rounds. Has been totally reliable and the little boost in size makes for a big upgrade in accuracy, for me anyway.

As the owner of a gun store I can say that Ruger's semi-auto handguns are trash. They should stick to revolvers. And there are way more 9mm options in that size gun.

I know several LEOs who carry Ruger LC9S and the different LCP versions as their off duty and/ or back-up piece and all seem to like them....and most shoot them a lot at the NYPD range.

Last edited:
What are we watching Gunsmoke? Marshall Dillon. You carry for protection.. That kind of talk gives responsible gun owners a bad rap
You totally missed my point, if it doesn't go bang when you need it, a warranty is worthless. A history of reliability is a necessity in a defensive weapon. Nobody wants to have to defend either their life or someone else's. Being prepared for a gunfight doesn't mean you're looking for one. Generally I advise people that if you think you need a gun to go somewhere, you should seriously consider NOT going there.

If you have made up your mind, why make this post?
My post was asking the input of those that owned or shot a particular gun. Your response was a poorly devised opinion.
Former gun store owners are not on the list of those whose opinions have much merit. When a law enforcement agency decides on the sidearm they issue to their officers and agents, none consult former or current gun store owners. I'm sorry to be the one to tell you that.

Generally I advise people that if you think you need a gun to go somewhere, you should seriously consider NOT going there.
I go to church, Walmart the kids school and movie theater statistically these places are common for shootings. Besides a mugging which could happen anywhere anyplace and at anytime. I don’t travel to unknown places which could potentially be and bring harm to myself or family. This is why I have range time to keep myself and firearm prepared.

As a a retired NJ State cop. Your advice and opinion is duly noted...and trashed. Ruger makes fine pistols starting with the P series.
Had a P95, a P89, P89X, P95, P90, carry an LC9, and loved them all. When they debuted the SR line, they fell out of my personal favor. Up until then, their pistols had been solid, rugged, and straight shooting. A P89 can handle a hot round loaded way over specs, just about indestructible, same for a P90.
Love the Mark line of .22s also.

Pretty sure I didn't say anything internet-warrior like. All I said was that I wasn't going to go off into a tangent.

Private party sales can usually be quite higher than what your gun store will give you. Not just criminals, many non criminals desire firearms that Uncle Sam doesn't know about. Stuff that sold for 200$ new (like a Rossi .38) can be sold for close to that now. More if it's mint.

I want to say I paid 325 for my last P gun, NIB. I'd give close to that today for a good, clean P89.

My issue with a .380 is that it doesn’t do much a 9mm can’t do but it does it with reduced round effectiveness at twice the price per round.

That’s a hard justification to make if we’re talking a service-sized pistol. For a deep concealed/very small gun like a Glock 42, OK, the .380 has a slight size and recoil advantage over its stable-mate, the G43 in 9mm.

In this case - the .380 might be more pleasant to shoot, but the Ruger is exactly the size of my P365XL while costing twice as much to train with. I don’t see the advantage, aside from low purchase cost of the pistol, because the size is exactly the same, and the Ruger holds 10 in the standard magazine while the Sig holds 12.

For that size gun, for concealed carry, I would get a P365XL.

Sure, the Sig costs more, but the ammo is half the price. Put a different Grip module on the P365XL, add the tungsten rods, and the recoil will feel like a .380. I’m not anti-Ruger - the several Rugers I have owned have all been great - but I am pro-Sig in this case. Costs more to buy, but I think you're getting a more effective firearm in the same size with cheaper ammo.

Had a P95, a P89, P89X, P95, P90, carry an LC9, and loved them all. When they debuted the SR line, they fell out of my personal favor. Up until then, their pistols had been solid, rugged, and straight shooting. A P89 can handle a hot round loaded way over specs, just about indestructible, same for a P90.

Pretty sure I didn't say anything internet-warrior like. All I said was that I wasn't going to go off into a tangent.

Private party sales can usually be quite higher than what your gun store will give you. Not just criminals, many non criminals desire firearms that Uncle Sam doesn't know about. Stuff that sold for 200$ new (like a Rossi .38) can be sold for close to that now. More if it's mint.

I want to say I paid 325 for my last P gun, NIB. I'd give close to that today for a good, clean P89.
Still have my P85. Never had a FTF,FTE or any other failure with thousands of rounds through it. Not a lightweight gun...I could probably frame a deck with it and it'd still shoot fine.
But to say Ruger never made decent pistols...Zero credibility.

Still have my P85. Never had a FTF,FTE or any other failure with thousands of rounds through it. Not a lightweight gun...I could probably frame a deck with it and it'd still shoot fine.
But to say Ruger never made decent pistols...Zero credibility.
I had a P95, same idea. Sold it a couple years ago to a good friend who needed a gun when guns simply weren’t available (panic buying, high demand), and prices were through the roof.

I gave him a very good deal on a perfect condition (actually, new in the box) Ruger with the original box and paperwork. I would not have sold it to a good friend if I did not have perfect confidence in the gun. That confidence was gained through thousands of rounds put through a buddy’s P89, again, same idea, and perfect reliability.

That P95 has since been to the range a few times - still flawless. Ruger has a long history of making good guns. I am not a fan of all their products, but the Rugers I have owned, and still own, are good guns.

Let me tell you about my newest Ruger, a Deerstalker - it’s the same age as I am - and still looks and shoots great - but that’s another topic altogether.

My issue with a .380 is that it doesn’t do much a 9mm can’t do but it does it with reduced round effectiveness at twice the price per round.

That’s a hard justification to make if we’re talking a service-sized pistol. For a deep concealed/very small gun like a Glock 42, OK, the .380 has a slight size and recoil advantage over its stable-mate, the G43 in 9mm.

In this case - the .380 might be more pleasant to shoot, but the Ruger is exactly the size of my P365XL while costing twice as much to train with. I don’t see the advantage, aside from low purchase cost of the pistol, because the size is exactly the same, and the Ruger holds 10 in the standard magazine while the Sig holds 12.

For that size gun, for concealed carry, I would get a P365XL.

Sure, the Sig costs more, but the ammo is half the price. Put a different Grip module on the P365XL, add the tungsten rods, and the recoil will feel like a .380. I’m not anti-Ruger - the several Rugers I have owned have all been great - but I am pro-Sig in this case. Costs more to buy, but I think you're getting a more effective firearm in the same size with cheaper ammo.
I can agree with most of what you've stated. I have a few 9mms.
The smallest is Taurus G2...which has been flawless since new.
My others are duty sized. You make a good point about size which is another reason the Bersa was a poor choice for me. The G2 is roughly the same size with almost twice the capacity...in 9mm.
Thing is, I bought a bit of .380 ammo and I believe it's a good option.

I can agree with most of what you've stated. I have a few 9mms.
The smallest is Taurus G2...which has been flawless since new.
My others are duty sized. You make a good point about size which is another reason the Bersa was a poor choice for me. The G2 is roughly the same size with almost twice the capacity...in 9mm.
Thing is, I bought a bit of .380 ammo and I believe it's a good option.
Ah, I see. Very well, then. If you’ve got the ammo, then you have addressed my principal objection.

I would be happy with the Ruger. It’s a great size for carry (because that P365XL is a great size, very concealable, remarkable capacity).

I’ve not shot this Ruger, so, I have no first hand experience, but I have had great experiences with Ruger. I would look forward to a follow up on how you like it if you do end up with it.

Look back, my response wasn't to you. It was to an internet warrior.

Let me add that I did not care for the LCP when I shot one. Too small of package and the recoil was stout as a result. It didn’t help that I could really only get two fingers on the grip (not including trigger finger) and my pinky was below the grip. The shooting experience kind of sucked, for me, and I knew it wouldn’t be a gun I trained with as a result.

I was considering it, but took it off the list once I tried one. Not a reliability or construction issue, but a size/form factor issue.

This Security 380 is a bit bigger, and I think I would be much happier getting my whole hand on the grip.

I think it’s a common mistake to simply hold a gun in the store and purchase what “feels good”. Sure, it feels good at the counter, but how does it feel under recoil? How does it shoot?

My former neighbor bought a Glock 42 based on size and feel, and then had trouble shooting it. It was unreliable for her and she couldn’t hit very well with it.

Nothing wrong with the gun itself (she was really limp-wresting it, and when I shot it, it was flawless) but it was not a good shooter/gun interface under actual firing.

I shot a friend’s P365XL before buying mine. It was an eye opening experience. I was genuinely impressed, saying something like, “This thing is awesome!” Before I went out, found one and plunked down my hard-earned cash on it.

Actually shooting the gun before buying is critical.

Last edited:
Let me add that I did not care for the LCP when I shot one. Too small of package and the recoil was stout as a result. It didn’t help that I could really only get two fingers on the grip (not including trigger finger) and my pinky was below the grip. The shooting experience kind of sucked, for me, and I knew it wouldn’t be a gun I trained with as a result.

I was considering it, but took it off the list once I tried one. Not a reliability or construction issue, but a size/form factor issue.

This Security 380 is a bit bigger, and I think I would be much happier getting my whole hand on the grip.

I think it’s a common mistake to simply hold a gun in the store and purchase what “feels good”. Sure, it feels good at the counter, but how does it feel under recoil? How does it shoot?

My former neighbor bought a Glock 42 based on size and feel, and then had trouble shooting it. It was unreliable for her and she couldn’t hit very well with it.

Nothing wrong with the gun itself (she was really limp-wresting it, and when I shot it, it was flawless) but it was not a good shooter/gun interface under actual firing.

I shot a friend’s P365XL before buying mine. It was an eye opening experience. I was genuinely impressed, saying something like, “This thing is awesome!” Before I went out, found one and plunked down my hard-earned cash on it.

Actually shooting the gun before buying is critical.
Yeah, the LCP isn't even an option for me. Too small a form factor for my hands for sure. Also, you're correct, you can modify the grip of a gun with sleeves and to a limited extent magazine extenders. So purchasing based on "feel" isn't a good approach.

As the owner of a gun store I can say that Ruger's semi-auto handguns are trash. They should stick to revolvers. And there are way more 9mm options in that size gun.
Their 1911 in both 9 & 45 were both my best and their best offerings compared to the other stuff they make til I traded for Staccato

Back