V8 4Runner: M1, EP, SUV or GC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
(I've lurked around here off & on for some time, but rarely post.) I'm trying to determine the best over-the-counter oil for my 2003 4.7L V8 4Runner. I tow some pretty good loads, live in HOTT Phoenix, and pull many mountains.

My 4Runner is under an extended warranty, so I will change the oil at Toyota's recommended intervals, use their (supposedly very good) oil filter, and only AP rated oils (sorry Amsoil people).

As someone on here has said - Toyota's metalurgy seems to do well with M1, and that's what I currently use. But I keep reading about those extolling the virtures of GC, Mobil EP, and even the SUV formulations.

Would any of those others do any better than M1 under the conditions I've stated?

Thanks!
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I have a 3.4l toyota and it loves the green GC (way more than mobil drive clean and durablend).

I think I would go with Mobil 1 EP 10W-30 if it were my 4Runner, by the way I have an 03 V8 4Runner also in which I am currently running Mobil 1 5W-30.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Chimay:
I think I would go with Mobil 1 EP 10W-30 if it were my 4Runner, by the way I have an 03 V8 4Runner also in which I am currently running Mobil 1 5W-30.
cheers.gif

So you think because of the rougher conditions that the EP would be that much better? Isn't the EP just a G3 with more additives?

Remember, I have to follow 5k mile changes as per warranty.

quote:

Remember, I have to follow 5k mile changes as per warranty.

I'd run a blend like Mobil 7500 or Castrol Syntec Blend in a 5k OCI with the 4.7 V8.

Less than half the cost and excellent oils.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

From the mobil web site:

You've never seen an oil like this before. Mobil 1® Extended Performance is a new high-endurance motor oil with 36 percent more anti-wear additives and 37 percent more cleaning agents than current Mobil 1 formulations. It is a fully synthetic formulation that helps extend engine life, reduce oil breakdown and minimize engine wear -- all while helping to keep your engine clean.

The extra anti-wear may help with your towing conditions. Many oils to choose from though:cheers:

Thanks to all! I may have to check out the EP. Has anyone done much oil analysis with this yet - if so, was it much better than M1?

Since you indicated you're trying to maintain the warranty coverage keep in mind the M1 EP doesn't carry the API certification "starburst".

The 4.7V8 really does not care what oil you use!We have only seen one some what bad UOA for this engine so far and it was run with Royal Purple. I am partial to 5W40 so TSUV would be my choice!I am sure that 10W30,10W40 M1EP would work just as well although it is a bit more expensive and probably not as good as TSUV especialy in your environment. You can get both at Walmart in the 5quart Jug.

I just put TSUV in Dads 1995 Tacoma. Do not know what oil Mom's Tundra will be getting but rest assured it will be something made by Mobil. Toyota's and Mobil synthetics go together like pea's and carrot's!

quote:

Originally posted by farrarfan1:
Since you indicated you're trying to maintain the warranty coverage keep in mind the M1 EP doesn't carry the API certification "starburst".

Thanks for this info. If true, I definately won't use it! I'll check the Mobil 1 website to verify that it doesn't carry the API. That would be a BIG no-no for the next 4 years - 100k miles!

From the Mobil 1 site:
quote:

Mobil 1 Extended Performance oils exceed the requirements of API SL/CF and various ACEA (European) specifications.

Doesn't this mean it's API approved & carry the "starburst"?

[ July 18, 2005, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: TeryT ]

quote:

Originally posted by TeryT:
Thanks for this info. If true, I definately won't use it! I'll check the Mobil 1 website to verify that it doesn't carry the API. That would be a BIG no-no for the next 4 years - 100k miles!

Why? Has there ever been a recorded case where a dealer did an oil analysis not only to see how the engine failed but to determine what kind of oil was being used? Does the dealer have a reference book with all oil specs for just such an occasion? At face value the logic makes sense: use the oil in the owners manual or lose your warranty. But if you follow the logic to its conclusion I just don't see it happening.

quote:

Originally posted by jtantare:

quote:

Why? Has there ever been a recorded case where a dealer did an oil analysis not only to see how the engine failed but to determine what kind of oil was being used? Does the dealer have a reference book with all oil specs for just such an occasion? At face value the logic makes sense: use the oil in the owners manual or lose your warranty. But if you follow the logic to its conclusion I just don't see it happening.

He seems like he is trying hard to maintain his warranty and somewhere in the owners manual or on the oil filler cover it will say to use API certified oil.Mobil 1 EP isn't.Sure oil related failures are rare but in the event one occurs and the manufacturer asks for receipts he might be better off showing them he used API certified oils.And besides the EP is still kind of an unknown.The couple of UOA's don't seem to be blowing people away yet.With all the good choices out there that will meet warranty requirements why not use one of them?

quote:

Originally posted by farrarfan1:

quote:

Originally posted by jtantare:

quote:

He seems like he is trying hard to maintain his warranty and somewhere in the owners manual or on the oil filler cover it will say to use API certified oil.Mobil 1 EP isn't.Sure oil related failures are rare but in the event one occurs and the manufacturer asks for receipts he might be better off showing them he used API certified oils.And besides the EP is still kind of an unknown.The couple of UOA's don't seem to be blowing people away yet.With all the good choices out there that will meet warranty requirements why not use one of them?

I believe the EP oils are API SL certified, just not SM or GF-4. Unless his vehicle requires those ratings he should be OK.

Given his OCI though, I don't know if the EP would be worth the extra $$.

Thanks. But what about this quote from the Mobil 1 site? Doesn't this mean that it's API approved?
quote:

Mobil 1 Extended Performance oils exceed the requirements of API SL/CF and various ACEA (European) specifications.

Does saying this, but not having the starburst mean it's not approved?

If you want to maintain your warranty, I’d suggest thinking about staying with the recommended weight, which is 5W-30. I can easily see them denying warranty claim if you used something like T&SUV, which is 5W-40. “Sorry, you didn’t follow proper maintenance procedures with your 5W-40, so the warranty claim is denied.”

With 5K OCI’s you can’t go wrong with plain old M1 or even Mobil 7,500.

Both are API certified. One to SM specification and the other to SL specification.

Two types of Marks are licensed by API: the API Certification Mark "Starburst" and the API Service Symbol "Donut" The marketer may display an API Mark, as described in this section, only after obtaining a license to use the specific API Mark.

My bottle of M1 EP 10w30 has the "donut".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back