Using ACEA C3 Oil where SN and SN Plus is required

No it would not be the other way around. Here in NA ExxonMobil would not state that in relation to a current license.
Ok, it still doesn't make sense to me. I guess my pea brain can't grasp this one fully but that is fine.😂 Bottom line is I'm going to use this oil with confidence in my Subaru engine.🤙

I, too, am contemplating switching from 0w20 to either a 5w30 or 0w30. I was looking at Mobil 1 0w30 AFE though. What's the difference between 0w30 AFE and 0w30 ESP? By biggest concern are the API SP and ILSAC 6 ratings in regards to whatever relation they have on IVD and the like. I want an oil that would be best at controlling them. I know it's more related to driving style, but oil has to have some play in it. Due to fuel dilution and how I drive the car (short trips), I do 3 month/3,000 miles OCI's regardless. Just curious as why one would choose ESP over AFE in a GDI engine?

I, too, am contemplating switching from 0w20 to either a 5w30 or 0w30. I was looking at Mobil 1 0w30 AFE though. What's the difference between 0w30 AFE and 0w30 ESP? By biggest concern are the API SP and ILSAC 6 ratings in regards to whatever relation they have on IVD and the like. I want an oil that would be best at controlling them. I know it's more related to driving style, but oil has to have some play in it. Due to fuel dilution and how I drive the car (short trips), I do 3 month/3,000 miles OCI's regardless. Just curious as why one would choose ESP over AFE in a GDI engine?
I'm sure others will chime in on here but I went with it because I got a killer deal on it ($6/qt equivalent) and it is highly touted on here and is supposed to be better than AFE but I will admit, I do share your same concerns however I don't really feel that it will do the engine any harm regardless of the ratings, and I think switching to a 0W-30 will definitely be a good thing.

This has been discussed NUMEROUS times.
Approvals on ESP 0W30 are FAR more stringent than anything API.
HTHS is min. 3.5. Noack value is lower etc.

Exactly right ^^^^

Porsche C30 or C20 and MB 229.5 are way, way tougher than API standards.

If I decide to run Mobil I ESP 0w 20 in my Honda…. I know if it’s good enough for a Porsche C20 approval…. It’s way more than good enough for my 2012 Honda.

Imho, take any MB 229.52 certified oil and sleep with a smile on your face. It comes in a few viscosities that should satisfy majority of uses. Their certified xW-30 oils are based on C3 standard but take it even higher.

Me personally, I find VW 504/507 and (at same time) MB 229.52 oils are most desired.
229.52 also has fuel economy reqs as well as LSPI protection.

Why not go Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 then? It has even a lower NOACK value. See one of your posts here: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/m1-esp-0w-30-vs-5w-30.344955/

I'm actually thinking about going the 5w30 route, as I can get it cheaper locally vs buying Castrol Edge EP 5w30 or 0w20 online.

1678840057311.jpg

Why not go Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 then? It has even a lower NOACK value. See one of your posts here: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/m1-esp-0w-30-vs-5w-30.344955/

I'm actually thinking about going the 5w30 route, as I can get it cheaper locally vs buying Castrol Edge EP 5w30 or 0w20 online.

View attachment 145007
Sure. Problem is that 5W30 was not at all available at prices that 0W30 was. It just became more available recently. I would use it if I had access for the same price as 0W30. Now that it is, I also started to use it.
I just put it in Tiguan.

Sure. Problem is that 5W30 was not at all available at prices that 0W30 was. It just became more available recently. I would use it if I had access for the same price as 0W30. Now that it is, I also started to use it.
I just put it in Tiguan.

What temp is it safe to leave in during winter? I may switch to 0w20 in winter......necessary?

What temp is it safe to leave in during winter? I may switch to 0w20 in winter......necessary?
As long as you are not starting it every morning below -20. 5W30 will flow great. I started 5W40 in X5 at -37.
However, if you do short runs and engine is already recommended for 0W20, there is no doubt that oil is more appropriate for extremely cold temperatures.
Where is your location?

I run Motul 8100 X-Clean Gen2 5w-40, ACEA C3 API SN oil with a pour point of -44F/42C. in Minnesota winters. But then again I wont drive off in winter or summer till my water temp is to up to 90F/32C. I want some sort of piston expansion before throwing any form of boost at my very short pistons. I don't have a worry at all about my timing chain with this oil as I change it at a 3,500 mile mark because of it's a Hyundai and hard on oil and I am a short tripper with a tune.

BMW LL-04, MERCEDES-BENZ MB-Approval 229.52, MERCEDES-BENZ MB-Approval 226.5, PORSCHE C40, RENAULT RN0710 - RN0700, VW 511 00

Porsche A40 oils cover 1984 and newer sports car models, but with the newest vehicles, the C40, C30, and C20 standards have been introduced. Most notably, these new "C" specification oils provide protection against LSPI, or low speed pre-ignition, and protect emissions control devices. The C30 and C20 standards are provided for shared VAG platform engines that call for 30 and 20-weight oils, with thinner oils used primarily for improved fuel economy.

My Hyundai's small displacement turbo motor is the poster child for LSPI, with 17 psi at 1,400 rpm. In fact I had what I feel is an LSPI event when new and somehow made it through it still living to this day with even more HP. The car seemed to jump 5 ft off the ground. I thought right there and then the motor was toast, but it was still ran. After that it got mid grade gas and LSPI oil, and now has to have 93 octane.

As long as you are not starting it every morning below -20. 5W30 will flow great. I started 5W40 in X5 at -37.
However, if you do short runs and engine is already recommended for 0W20, there is no doubt that oil is more appropriate for extremely cold temperatures.
Where is your location?

I am in central WI. Doesn't get what I would consider crazy cold here often, but we are good for a handful or two of days in double digit below 0° temps a winter.

The ESP 5w30 sure does have a handful of approvals! Has a pour point of -48°C = -54°F

I am in central WI. Doesn't get what I would consider crazy cold here often, but we are good for a handful or two of days in double digit below 0° temps a winter.

The ESP 5w30 sure does have a handful of approvals! Has a pour point of -48°C = -54°F

Just run that, ESP 0W30 in the winter.

Curious, why not ESP 0w20 in winter?
Probably because the increased HT/HS of the 30-grade (determined by the approvals) is not a bad thing. VW 504 00 approval is a pretty demanding set of requirements. So is 508 00 as far as it goes, but for many of us the extra HT/HS is desirable. Ambient temperature is pretty irrelevant as the winter rating is what matters here for pumpability.

Back