M1 ESP 0W-30 vs 5W-30

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
It seems (and I emphasize seems) that when xW-30 ESP is mentioned, it's usually the 5W-30 variant. It seems that most folks use/prefer/mention that version. Perhaps my observations are off. I'm curious if there really is a preference for the 5W-30, and if so, why that might be. Who's using the 30wts, which do you prefer, and why?

I'm glad you asked because I recently purchased some Mobil 1 ESP 0w30 from our friends at AAP. My reasons were wanting to bump the Mobil 1 EP 0w20 to a higher KV100 by mixing in some 0w30 during an oil change. I have been advised by Mobil reps that any of their oils can be mixed with no ill effect so I calculated what I could mix to get me as close to the 9.3cSt threshold. For my intended application it was 4.7 quarts of M1 EP 0w20 and one quart of Mobil 1 ESP 0w30. Had I used Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 it would have put it above the threshold and since both were the same price I went with the 0w30 variation.

Both are great oils, perhaps some of the best money can buy. Why most prefer ESP 5W-30:

Lover Noack, higher flashpoint > less evaporative loss, less deposits, less oil consumption,
most probably even more stable HTHS due to less VII.

It seems (and I emphasize seems) that when xW-30 ESP is mentioned, it's usually the 5W-30 variant. It seems that most folks use/prefer/mention that version. Perhaps my observations are off. I'm curious if there really is a preference for the 5W-30, and if so, why that might be. Who's using the 30wts, which do you prefer, and why?
I use 0W30 in Tiguan now.
Why 5W30?
Minutae:
5W30 Noack: 7.7%
0W30 Noack: 9.1%.

5W30 probably has just a tid bit higher HTHS.

It is also generally easier to find.
That's interesting. I suppose it depends on where one is located. Quite a few local outlets here carry both, and both have been readily available at my nearby Walmart.

My mistake ... I've purchased at Walmart, but online, so you may well be correct. But, the oil is readily available at Walmart.

My mistake ... I've purchased at Walmart, but online, so you may well be correct. But, the oil is readily available at Walmart.
Okay yeah readily available through Walmart.com, but at a high price.

Another option is Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL also from Walmart.com for only $24.04 for five quarts. ACEA C3 and stringent VW 504 00/507 00 approvals like the ESP for much less. Even less expensive than the ESP at NAPA when on sale.

Okay yeah readily available through Walmart.com, but at a high price.

Another option is Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL also from Walmart.com for only $24.04 for five quarts.
I agree the WMart price is high ... AutoZone and O'Reilly have the 0W-30 substantially lower than WM. Nice to know about the Edge.

How / by what standard do you judge them as being "some of the best money can buy?"

Read the forum. Several VOAs, plenty of UOAs, tons of discussions on M1 ESP 5W-30, about its approvals, specs/properties and its base oils' quality. If there's any PCMO there's a wide consensus of its reputation about, it's probably this one. Not saying it's the best oil on earth or there aren't others, but it's certainly "one of".

Well, my question was to get [B]edyvw[/B]'s thoughts as he made the statement, although I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Read the forum. Several VOAs, plenty of UOAs, tons of discussions on M1 ESP 5W-30, about its approvals, specs/properties and its base oils' quality. If there's any PCMO there's a wide consensus of its reputation about, it's probably this one. Not saying it's the best oil on earth or there aren't others, but it's certainly "one of".
Well, my question was to get @edyvw's thoughts as he made the statement, although I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

forget eddy,..i will tell you why..because its all marketing..its not all about technical, specs and so on..i am tired of some experts here to translate everything into tech sheets ..
its the 5-30 trend fashion everywhere in the world and especially in EUROPE who is the leader now on making cheap quality oils..its the most versatile oil and thats why you can find it everywhere and thats why is so popular..

Back