Upcoming 0W5 Grade Red Line Oil Experiment- 2019 Lincoln Navigator 4WD 3.5L V6 Twin Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Engine: This Black Label version of the Navigator has a 3.5L, 450-hp twin-turbo V-6 pushing an over 3 ton barn door through the wind. It has 9k towing capacity and specs a 5W30 motor oil. It is mated to a 10-speed automatic transmission. The package gets you to 60 MPH in 5.4 seconds. Correct me if am wrong - I think the twin turbos are of different sizes to minimize turbo lag, a small turbo and a large turbo to better cover the RPM range more efficiently.

Test Conditions:
The car had around 28,000 miles when the 5 grade oil was put into it, 29,000 when I took out the oil. The oil filter was changed with every oil change. I put in a new air filter at about the 25,000 mile mark. The journey for the 5 grade oil was around 50% highway milage on I-75 in Florida, posted speed limit 70 MPH though I usually go with the flow, that may be, at times, a little faster. The remainder was around town, pretty routine. Both highway and city driving had an easy 1 MPG fuel economy benefit. Often the back of the truck is full of stuff, heaviest load was on the highway trips. I never towed anything.

Tested Motor Oil:
Red Line 5WT Racing Oil 0W5 grade (their label, not mine)
Phosphorus, Avg PPM 3350
Zinc, Avg PPM 2400
Vis @ 100°C, CSt 4.6
Vis @ 40°C, CSt 21.8
Viscosity Index 134
CCS Viscosity, Poise, @ °C 20@-30°C
Pour Point, °C -54
Pour Point, °F -65
NOACK Evaporation Loss,1hr @ 482°F (250°C), % 12
HTHS = 1.58

So why the preamble? Several things. I am sending oil samples to Blackstone and two other higher end labs that should prove interesting. I will include a virgin oil analysis of the Red Line 5WT Racing Oil. I believe this comparison will be revealing. I collected a quart of fluid or more, mid-stream when I dropped the oil.

What to expect:
Well here is some of the results now. I have cut open the oil filter as I sometimes do. How about a blot test?
The Motorcraft oil filter paper did show some visible particles also seen under magnification.

IMG_2414.JPG

IMG_2416.JPG

IMG_2425.JPG

The filter paper blot test was for 2 hours on the left and 1 hour on the right. The sample on the right was drawn just after shaking the container to make sure there were no settled particles nor separated solutions.
IMG_2428.JPG

What are your thoughts (other than I am crazy) ?

Ali

Inadequate hydrodynamic film will test to failure the boundary layer film. I expect, even with such low usage, concerning wear metals. Being that it was Interstate driving, this might be the only saving grace.

When the stress of load binds the crankshaft to the point of distortion you will ruin your engine. I definitely wouldn't try to do any work with this oil in the crankcase. Floating down the highway unladen and not doing low RPM pulls will probably keep you in the safe zone.

In the world of tribology (IE: day one), viscosity is the most important property of a lubricant.

Engine: This Black Label version of the Navigator has a 3.5L, 450-hp twin-turbo V-6 pushing an over 3 ton barn door through the wind. It has 9k towing capacity and specs a 5W30 motor oil. It is mated to a 10-speed automatic transmission. The package gets you to 60 MPH in 5.4 seconds. Correct me if am wrong - I think the twin turbos are of different sizes to minimize turbo lag, a small turbo and a large turbo to better cover the RPM range more efficiently.

Test Conditions:
The car had around 28,000 miles when the 5 grade oil was put into it, 29,000 when I took out the oil. The oil filter was changed with every oil change. I put in a new air filter at about the 25,000 mile mark. The journey for the 5 grade oil was around 50% highway milage on I-75 in Florida, posted speed limit 70 MPH though I usually go with the flow, that may be, at times, a little faster. The remainder was around town, pretty routine. Both highway and city driving had an easy 1 MPG fuel economy benefit. Often the back of the truck is full of stuff, heaviest load was on the highway trips. I never towed anything.

Tested Motor Oil:
Red Line 5WT Racing Oil 0W5 grade (their label, not mine)
Phosphorus, Avg PPM 3350
Zinc, Avg PPM 2400
Vis @ 100°C, CSt 4.6
Vis @ 40°C, CSt 21.8
Viscosity Index 134
CCS Viscosity, Poise, @ °C 20@-30°C
Pour Point, °C -54
Pour Point, °F -65
NOACK Evaporation Loss,1hr @ 482°F (250°C), % 12
HTHS = 1.58

So why the preamble? Several things. I am sending oil samples to Blackstone and two other higher end labs that should prove interesting. I will include a virgin oil analysis of the Red Line 5WT Racing Oil. I believe this comparison will be revealing. I collected a quart of fluid or more, mid-stream when I dropped the oil.

What to expect:
Well here is some of the results now. I have cut open the oil filter as I sometimes do. How about a blot test?
The Motorcraft oil filter paper did show some visible particles also seen under magnification.

View attachment 136190

View attachment 136191

View attachment 136192

The filter paper blot test was for 2 hours on the left and 1 hour on the right. The sample on the right was drawn just after shaking the container to make sure there were no settled particles nor separated solutions.
View attachment 136193

What are your thoughts (other than I am crazy) ?

Ali
Don't do it, @AEHaas

It is a heavy on the ZDDP oil, with a minimum of 2200 ppm of zinc throughout the grades.
Yep ... film thickness (the MOFT due to viscosity) is the main defense against wear, and when the film thickness falls on its face (the MOFT goes to zero), then the film strength (the AF/AW tribofilm) has to take over to mitiage wear.

I enjoy your thin oil discussions and your testing to extremes. Racing oil is not meant to go far concerning the additives. Personally if any car I owned had a choice of viscosities I would choose the thinnest viscosity recommended just cause I hate to waste HP and fuel. But past the recommendations is my limit. Do not really think thicker will buy me any difference how long I will keep the car.

It depends on the racing oil. Some are simply overdosed street oils. Others have the lower detergent/tbn levels.... I have seen a "2" for TBN on a VOA for a real racing oil, and you have to look hard to find it. Most are simply overdosed "marketing oils".

Going to install the racing cup holder and spare change holder in my car. One releases the big-gulb coffee super quick and the other spare change for the drivethru.

I have no issues using racing oils that aren't, as most aren't.

With the movement toward SAE 16, 12, 8.... oils, heard that a few players were trying to convince the rest to eliminate the zddp limits, obviously without success. Make you wonder if all you need is a little more, like with VW did with 508 and Ford did with their diesel requirement.

I would've run it for 3k or 5k. Nothing is crazy. Data is always interesting. Just make sure that you're under warranty and that you fill it back up with 5w30 prior to the 'warranty' replacement.

"Might try 0W0 next and get it over with …"

Let's see how this experiment proceeds, maybe you are spot on for the next round.

"It depends on the racing oil. Some are simply overdosed street oils. Others have the lower detergent/tbn levels."

Some fully formulated street oils are as much as 25% additives and only 75% of the base oils. At some point the additives make the oil and not the base oils as such. Often race oils have much more of the base oils. Maybe there is something to this. You cannot use them for as long but they are actually better than "street" oils for wear and tear. Perhaps why so thin oils are usable in such high HP hot engines?

Ali

I love the stones Ali has!!! Let the test continue!
Man's got brass ones coated in 1.58hths oil for questionable wear protection.

I would only do this to something I'm trading in real soon. But that's his daily.

I now wonder how low the oil pressure was. Probably just barely enough to keep the locking pins in the vct phasers engaged.

"Yes you can see if you get even more metal in the filter pleats."

Do you know the amount of metals that is found in the "normal" run filters? I can say that metals are found in all good filters. I will admit that this is the most I have seen in My engines though.

I have seen grossly obvious metals in gear oils yet they run endless miles anyway. Magnets in oil pans always have metal on them. Maybe after 50,000 or 60,000 miles the carnage ends but I have never looked into the study of those fluids with my highest milage vehicles. Full disclosure: In recent decades I have not owned vehicles past the 48,000 mile mark even though I always treat them as I will keep them forever. I did have one motorcycle with more than 50,000 miles on it though - all mine since new.

Ali

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back