Upcoming 0W5 Grade Red Line Oil Experiment- 2019 Lincoln Navigator 4WD 3.5L V6 Twin Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
My feeling is the best that we can do is to use multiple methods of analysis as best we can and go from there, never knowing exactly where are stand with any certainty. All I can say is that I am comfortable with all the various methods of testing at my disposal allowing me to use thinner oils for my applications, with confidence.
It would almost be impossible for you to make a more incorrect post.

But you do preface it with “my feeling” so that does establish the baseline for your methodology.

PS: Experimentation leads to progress. Somebody has to do it. Otherwise we might all still be chucking spears... There are those who lead and those that follow. Which one are you?
Exactly what “progress” are you leading to? I guess I’m a bit unsure of what the ultimate goal is here. Other than marginally increased fuel economy what do you hope to ascertain?

Your statement about chucking spears shows to me that really you have no clue what you’re doing nor do you have any means of obtaining valid data along the way. You’re just trying to prove some extraneous point to your own delusional satisfaction.

Exactly what “progress” are you leading to? I guess I’m a bit unsure of what the ultimate goal is here. Other than marginally increased fuel economy what do you hope to ascertain?
How to ruin an engine (or cause accelerated wear) by using an oil that does not meet design or operating conditions while obtaining zero objective and third party verified data using anecdotal and uncontrolled/unvalidated testing processes and procedures.

Last edited:
How to ruin an engine by using an oil that does not meet design or operating conditions while obtaining zero objective and third party verified data using anecdotal and uncontrolled/unvalidated testing processes and procedures.
Not much different than automaker 'Hail Mary' R&D!

Not much different than automaker 'Hail Mary' R&D!
Which automaker uses that process/procedure in their R&D? For all of the complaining that we do about automakers and vehicles in general, they all have decent processes and do use ASTM and SAE as baselines and develop additional procedures along the way and have them verified/validated by third parties. For the Ecoboost in particular, Ford did a tremendous amount of testing/R&D before it went to market and shared a large amount of it with the public.

While this may be "fun to watch", jack all will be proven by it...

Last edited:
Which automaker uses that process/procedure in their R&D? For all of the complaining that we do about automakers and vehicles in general, they all have decent processes and do use ASTM and SAE as baselines and develop additional procedures along the way and have them verified/validated by third parties. For the Ecoboost in particular, Ford did a tremendous amount of testing/R&D before it went to market and shared a large amount of it with the public.
Exactly. Anyone that wishes to generate statistically valid data will not screw around with expensive equipment and equally expensive labor to obtain something that the PhD mathematicians will laughably (and correctly) throw out their office window.

Exactly. Anyone that wishes to generate statistically valid data will not screw around with expensive equipment and equally expensive labor to obtain something that the PhD mathematicians will laughably (and correctly) throw out their office window.

1000%

Not sure why anyone would do this to such a nice vehicle. The oil is not appropriate for it and your metal in the filter is indicative of that in only 1K miles. 5W30 seems like a no-brainer as Ford recommends. This isn't a 4 banger econo car. What is the end goal of your test?

So… Imagine the worst thing that could happen. Really…. no big deal.
Is that sarcasm? Because it could seize a rod bearing, window the block and pan while becoming a powerless rolling hazard on the freeway while creating a dangerous oil slick that could cause a pile-up and significant loss of life.

Formula 1 cars are required to use the same engine for 2 or 3 races and still be able to win without any rebuild or modification between uses.

"I now wonder how low the oil pressure was. Probably just barely enough to keep the locking pins in the vct phasers engaged."

The front end of the engine with timing chains et al was replaced early on due to some issue with the manufacture of the parts. The truck was bathing in the factory provided oil changes at the time and never in severe service. Thick oils have been advocated when manufacturing defects occurred but only delayed the eventual proper fix of corrected parts.

Remember that one of the things I am testing on this round is comparing the testing labs. Often people say oil testing is almost useless. That may be true for lesser quality testing. It is my belief that top end, quality testing does have useful information. Shall we see?

Ali

PS: Experimentation leads to progress. Somebody has to do it. Otherwise we might all still be chucking spears... There are those who lead and those that follow. Which one are you?
Is this a legitimate comparison for an engine that must be preheated to operating temperature before starting because the pistons are seized in the cylinders when cold?

Scott

"Do you plan to do an engine teardown before and after running this oil?"

So many people refer to engine tear downs in error. Sure, they are useful for major, catastrophic issues. But unless you measure all parts before going into the build you cannot conmment on wear. Even then, wear may be large during the break in period then settle down to nothing-ish. Unless you do a tear down every 250-500 miles or so it may be very misleading.

My feeling is the best that we can do is to use multiple methods of analysis as best we can and go from there, never knowing exactly where are stand with any certainty. All I can say is that I am comfortable with all the various methods of testing at my disposal allowing me to use thinner oils for my applications, with confidence.

Ali

See next post: I saw that 160F thing. As my Ferrari is at 170F with its oil I figured I would be OK. We shall see...
And, yet, in one of your previous threads when you ran a very thin oil you told us how one of your Ferrari motors was torn apart by the dealer and they said it was in near perfect condition. You provided no actual measurements, just an anecdotal statement on your part.

The fact that you run your experiments on $250K cars, or in this case your $85K Black Label Lincoln Navigator "beater".....it just comes across wrong. We all know you're not a member of the proletariat. I see no need for you to remind this forum at every opportunity.

I see lots of double speak. You ought to run for office. You'd be perfect in politics.

Scott

Last edited:
Is that sarcasm? Because it could seize a rod bearing, window the block and pan while becoming a powerless rolling hazard on the freeway while creating a dangerous oil slick that could cause a pile-up and significant loss of life.
Wow… You have a vivid imagination. Ridiculous from my view. Or nothing will happen at all.

Wow… You have a vivid imagination.
What's concerning is that you think this requires a vivid imagination. You ever see a block get window'd Bill? Because I have. Sometimes the rod goes out the side, sometimes it goes out the pan, sometimes it goes out both. Spinning a rod bearing isn't some uber-rare event, and the results are often very messy.

Edit, here's some idiot windowing the block in his BMW M3. Note the fire and resultant oil slick:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back