Red Line 5wt and 10wt racing oils additive package

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got in touch with Dave @ Red Line inquiring about their 5wt and 10wt race oils. He sent me this chart showing the additive package. I figured I'd share it here.

[Linked Image]

He informed me that the boron caps the dispersant, and the moly is MoDTC, and the extra phosphorus in the 5wt comes from additional phosphates.

Red Line 5wt (0w-5)

KV100...............4.6
KV40.................21.8
VI......................134
CCS..................2000 cP @ -30*C
NOACK.............12%

Red Line 10wt (0w-10)

KV100............... 5.8
KV40..................29.9
VI.......................138
CCS...................3000 cP @ -30*C
NOACK..............9%

I have a few quarts of the 10wt sitting around which I've considered mixing with other oils. I've considered blending it with Rotella T4 15w-40 at 1 quart of 10wt to 1 gallon of T4 to get a robust 30 grade. If I did the math right, it "should" net the following.

KV100................12.23
KV40..................84.01
VI.......................141
HTHS.................3.6-3.8 ish

Ca......................1806
Mg......................14
P.........................1275
Zn.......................1376
Mo......................422
B.........................152

Any thoughts on running such a blend in a mild power'd Camaro bracket car?

Well, looking at J300, they are really 0w-8 and 0w-12 respectively:

[Linked Image]

I would be concerned that the HTHS is too low to adequately protect the bearings on a GM small block, which likely is designed around something with an HTHS ~3.0

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I would be concerned that the HTHS is too low to adequately protect the bearings on a GM small block, which likely is designed around something with an HTHS ~3.0

Noted. That's why I was considering mixing 1 quart of it with 4 quarts of a stout 15w-40 like Rotella T4 which has an HTHS of around 4.1 to get a net HTHS around 3.7 or so. Would there be any issue with mix/emulsify between a group II/III conventional like T4 and an ester based synthetic like RL?

I would expect that the result of such a blend would be sub-optimal. You are likely better just using Redline 0w-20 with an HTHS of 2.9. Their 0w-30 is a little heavier with an HTHS of 3.2, which might also work.

I know a straight oil would be better. I just have 8 quarts of the 10wt sitting around from another project that I wanted to use. It's too thin to use by itself.

What do you think would make it sub-optimal? Base oils or additive clash? (for knowledge sake)

Basically just entirely different chemistries. You could buy their 5w-30 and blend in the 0w-10, that would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back