Two Thirds Of New Cars Will Be Electric/Hybrids by 2032

I had an ev. Bought it for the $7500 tax credit. Figured id drive it for a year then sell it and get what i actually wanted.

Didnt work out that way as i lost 40% value in 1yr.

I dont have a problem with an ev but they just arent there yet in my opinion.

Here are a few reasons i believe this.

1.I had a chevy bolt. Max range 250 miles. If you live in the city thats fine. In the country not so much.

2. If you charged it off a regular 110 it took roughly 54hrs to charge. I didnt have access to a 220 to fast charge. Even using fastest charger it still took 30 minutes to hit 80%.

3. My electric bill went up $100 a month

Now you can always get more expensive evs that charge faster but then $$.

How many people live in apartments etc that cant charge at home?

You cant fill your battery to 100% if you want it to last.

You lose about 50% range in the cold.

When i traded mine in waze said it should take me 4.5hrs. It took 6 with the charging....

Just my 2 cents
Electric vehicles are not for everyone. Those people in apartments will not buy an EV, they will buy a hybrid. Simple as that.

I don't own an EV yet. I would like to own one, and it would work for my situation, but they are still too expensive for me. If someone comes out with a cheap basic electric without the premium price they offer now, I will be in. China need not apply, I will not buy a Chinese vehicle. Otherwise, I can do just fine with my hybrid and non hybrid ICE cars.

Don't understand why so many get in a wad over what someone else buys. It is their money, they can do whatever they want with their money. In my opinion, the more choice of vehicles we have, the better for all of us.

Electric vehicles are not for everyone. Those people in apartments will not buy an EV, they will buy a hybrid. Simple as that.

I don't own an EV yet. I would like to own one, and it would work for my situation, but they are still too expensive for me. If someone comes out with a cheap basic electric without the premium price they offer now, I will be in. China need not apply, I will not buy a Chinese vehicle. Otherwise, I can do just fine with my hybrid and non hybrid ICE cars.

Don't understand why so many get in a wad over what someone else buys. It is their money, they can do whatever they want with their money. In my opinion, the more choice of vehicles we have, the better for all of us.
Also prefer having choices. Just don’t like the government influence in forcing agendas.

Wish everyone thought like that but unfortunately some are trying to force peoples hand.

I wish I got all the secret $20,000 "Biden Discounts" and got forced to get an EV sooner! We had to actually go find ours on our own

Love it!
You could try to hide the political BS. You aren't forced and all the junk you've convinced yourself of is your problem. No one got any $20k discounts. I didn't get a single one but whatever makes you feel better to feel superior to those you disagree with.

It is one vette that does not need to be factory stock. It for sure needs an EV conversion done, like yesterday.
I'm not sure what that would have to do with it either. It's all about the small details to attack this point. It's more about feelings than reality.

By 2032 BEVs will most likely be more expensive to own than any other vehicle because:

- New taxes (electric surcharges, road taxes, newly made up random taxes state will make up).

- Increased insurance rates due to increased total losses as a result of:

-- Unrepairable batteries that cost $20k -$30k+. Combined with repair costs, it’s a total.
-- Aluminum repairs requiring specialty high demand body shops that charge 2x-3x more than regular steel repairs.
-- Multiple ADAS and BEV systems to be reset requiring tows to dealer or expensive mobile tech services.
-- Massive depreciation with BEVs makes them easier to total.

- EV incentives will probably dry up due to greater adoption.

BEVs are the new BMW in the driveway and will continue to be a sign of wealth for the foreseeable future IMHO.

Even when cheaper EVs come out, how will the low income community charge all their cars in an apartment complex? How will they fix them like a basic ICE-mobile?

Hopefully the future is brighter but there are many challenges which will all be financial.

Here’s my solution BTW:

By 2032 BEVs will most likely be more expensive to own than any other vehicle because:

- New taxes (electric surcharges, road taxes, newly made up random taxes state will make up).

- Increased insurance rates due to increased total losses as a result of:

-- Unrepairable batteries that cost $20k -$30k+. Combined with repair costs, it’s a total.
-- Aluminum repairs requiring specialty high demand body shops that charge 2x-3x more than regular steel repairs.
-- Multiple ADAS and BEV systems to be reset requiring tows to dealer or expensive mobile tech services.
-- Massive depreciation with BEVs makes them easier to total.

- EV incentives will probably dry up due to greater adoption.

BEVs are the new BMW in the driveway and will continue to be a sign of wealth for the foreseeable future IMHO.

Even when cheaper EVs come out, how will the low income community charge all their cars in an apartment complex? How will they fix them like a basic ICE-mobile?

Hopefully the future is brighter but there are many challenges which will all be financial.

Here’s my solution BTW:

I assume you're serious. So what's your issue with new road taxes? That's the way we'll pay road taxes by not paying hugely expensive gasoline.

I'm glad that owning a BEV makes me look filthy rich. I'm glad everyone knows I wipe my hind end with $100 bills.

The incentives need to dry up anyway. I never received one to begin with and that didn't keep me from buying one.

Some of you are really riled up about these things. Pay a bit less for your vehicle and have the rest yanked clean out of your rear at the fuel pump if that makes you happy. I'm not seeing how EVs are more expensive unless you're buying ridiculously priced SUVs and trucks.

Around here, apartment and condo complexes have started offering charging based on demand and on increased property value.
There is $$ to be made in the emerging EV market. Capitalism will respond. Where will it be in 5 to 10 years? Who knows?

EVs require less drivetrain maintenance; ditto brake services. Tire expense can be higher based on piggy battery weight.
Everything changes. Usually slowly, especially at first. We are in the EV infancy. Lots of questions and issues.

I assume you're serious. So what's your issue with new road taxes? That's the way we'll pay road taxes by not paying hugely expensive gasoline.
I understand some road taxes, but this opportunity will most likely be exploited to squeeze in additional charges. Maybe a weight based system? Should the Chevy Bolt pay as much as a Rivian? Who knows, but when it comes to excuses for taxes, EVs will be a prime target. Cost of progress I guess.

I'm glad that owning a BEV makes me look filthy rich. I'm glad everyone knows I wipe my hind end with $100 bills.
It's not about EV's looking rich per se, for a few of them yes, but you do need some wealth to own one. Absorbing increased depreciation, the luxury of access to quick charging either in home or nearby, and increased insurance costs are not visible signs of wealth but needed for BEV owners. It's beyond the no-extra-costs turn-key easy-of-use todays already super efficient ICE offer.

Around here, apartment and condo complexes have started offering charging based on demand and on increased property value.
There is $$ to be made in the emerging EV market. Capitalism will respond. Where will it be in 5 to 10 years? Who knows?
I think you have the ideal EV situation in Cali, battery friendly climate, and most importantly wealth. The high income allows capitalism to work it's magic to supply everyone with charging stations and a great environment for EVs. Look at Chicago where the average income is $33k / yr and a lot of people live in run down neighborhoods or apartment blocks.

Low income residents can barely keep their ICE vehicles running and now mandates are pushing 2/3s of new sales to go hybrid and EV. I don't think the average corner mechanic or backyard DIY guy will be able to catch up skill wise to BEV level tech or out of pocket costs when it comes to being the 4th owner of a 15 yr old Tesla.

In low income neighborhoods like these, there will most likely be little to no public charging stations added to apartment complexes, leaving people essentially stranded if we ever go to a 100% BEV mandate, 2040? Rampant crime and shoplifting prevent private investment, and understandably so, makes sense, no wonder there are food deserts. Not many low / middle income families can afford a retrofit of their home electric service to charge a car that might freeze in the winter.

Some of you are really riled up about these things. Pay a bit less for your vehicle and have the rest yanked clean out of your rear at the fuel pump if that makes you happy. I'm not seeing how EVs are more expensive unless you're buying ridiculously priced SUVs and trucks.
My main gripe here is that these mandates are forcing a technology that some view as a panacea but in reality does not serve everyone as easily, cheaply, and equally as ICE vehicles.

The green / environmental movement has delusional visions of the ice caps melting and that the solution is stopping fossil fuel at all costs, throwing soup at the Mona Lisa, and brainwashed kids blocking highways. It's a bad taste for many and plain stupid when you have countries like China polluting more than all countries combined and will be building coal plants into the 2040's lol.

I don't think 8 or 10 years of tech advancement or regulations is going to magically drop EV ownership and repair costs.

I understand some road taxes, but this opportunity will most likely be exploited to squeeze in additional charges. Maybe a weight based system? Should the Chevy Bolt pay as much as a Rivian? Who knows, but when it comes to excuses for taxes, EVs will be a prime target. Cost of progress I guess.

It's not about EV's looking rich per se, for a few of them yes, but you do need some wealth to own one. Absorbing increased depreciation, the luxury of access to quick charging either in home or nearby, and increased insurance costs are not visible signs of wealth but needed for BEV owners. It's beyond the no-extra-costs turn-key easy-of-use todays already super efficient ICE offer.

I think you have the ideal EV situation in Cali, battery friendly climate, and most importantly wealth. The high income allows capitalism to work it's magic to supply everyone with charging stations and a great environment for EVs. Look at Chicago where the average income is $33k / yr and a lot of people live in run down neighborhoods or apartment blocks.

Low income residents can barely keep their ICE vehicles running and now mandates are pushing 2/3s of new sales to go hybrid and EV. I don't think the average corner mechanic or backyard DIY guy will be able to catch up skill wise to BEV level tech or out of pocket costs when it comes to being the 4th owner of a 15 yr old Tesla.

In low income neighborhoods like these, there will most likely be little to no public charging stations added to apartment complexes, leaving people essentially stranded if we ever go to a 100% BEV mandate, 2040? Rampant crime and shoplifting prevent private investment, and understandably so, makes sense, no wonder there are food deserts. Not many low / middle income families can afford a retrofit of their home electric service to charge a car that might freeze in the winter.

My main gripe here is that these mandates are forcing a technology that some view as a panacea but in reality does not serve everyone as easily, cheaply, and equally as ICE vehicles.

The green / environmental movement has delusional visions of the ice caps melting and that the solution is stopping fossil fuel at all costs, throwing soup at the Mona Lisa, and brainwashed kids blocking highways. It's a bad taste for many and plain stupid when you have countries like China polluting more than all countries combined and will be building coal plants into the 2040's lol.

I don't think 8 or 10 years of tech advancement or regulations is going to magically drop EV ownership and repair costs.
I get the impression you're completely overthinking what's happening to the car market and a $38k vehicle purchase isn't extravagant in this market and likely don't understand what charging actually is. It doesn't take a weird expensive home setup to charge. There's not a whole lot to go wrong and the drivetrain has a minimum of 100k mile warranty no matter who you go with.

Car are expensive no matter what you buy and it's only getting worse. EV isn't the main driving issue here.

The combining of hybrid sales with electric vehicle sales in the United States highlights the failure of electric vehicle market share predictions
More or less to cover up with the failure of electric vehicle sales they are now throwing hybrid sales in with the number, this dilutes in the public eye all the officials and media reports that was making it sound like EVs were going to be mass adopted by US citizens almost overnight.

Not happening you in the United States. We are used to a higher standard of living and larger SUV type vehicles to traverse our national highway system.

The combining of hybrid sales with electric vehicle sales in the United States highlights the failure of electric vehicle market share predictions
More or less to cover up with the failure of electric vehicle sales they are now throwing hybrid sales in with the number, this dilutes in the public eye all the officials and media reports that was making it sound like EVs were going to be mass adopted by US citizens almost overnight.

Not happening you in the United States. We are used to a higher standard of living and larger SUV type vehicles to traverse our national highway system.
It’s just a data point used. Not sure about it highlighting any failure of EVs. Just depends on where the story is from and what data they’re passing along.

You’re right, we’re accustomed to a gluttonous wasteful lifestyle.

Having an interesting experience in Europe this week with a BMW 320e wagon. This is the one that when charged can go short distance fully electric. Don’t know what the MSRP would be at home, they don’t sell it in the US, but figure as a well equipped wagon with a complex powertrain would probably cost at least 50k, maybe high 50s? It is a nice car, solid build. It is an M package and handles and brakes well. Too firm for me, but that is because this is a young man’s car - wanted a 5 wagon and they didn’t have one. Don’t like the new iPad dash. Looks cheap and out of place in a BMW and there are insufficient redundant controls. Have found the electric mode shorter than advertised and the turbo 4 runs out of breath up high - cannot tell rpm’s because the iPad dash is configured as “power” not rpm’s. That is different than my old BMWs, but the power down low is great. Fuel economy highway is 33mpg by the computer. So that is good with four people aboard, but premium is required, no surprise there.

My wife likes it but she told me that it is far less comfortable than her new Subaru wagon, and her car gets the same highway mpg with more room, and it takes regular fuel. Much less complex as well, so odds are better reliability. Not a slam on BMW, just the realities of mechanical complexity. I pointed out her car has far less power and she agrees, but the Subaru’s ride and handling is completely respectable and very neutral. BMW handles better but the set up is inappropriate for potholed roads and normal driving - too firm. Point I am making is that BMW makes great cars and they are certainly in a higher class than a Subaru, but the additional complexity and cost of this 320e doesn’t really add anything in terms of day to day enjoyment and the cost is substantially higher, and a lot of that cost is incurred in meeting the goals set by our green overlords. Personally, I would take the BMW wagon and strip out all the green nonsense and use a straight six or turbo four plus the modern zf 8 speed without the hybrid drive sandwich. Put back a conventional dash with a large screen like my pickup truck, and use the train to go to work in the city. But my way is not the way of our regulatory masters. Just thought I would offer perspective on one of the new quasi electrics. Have a good day everyone.

In general, despite more accessible information, people aren’t good at research anymore. I have several colleagues that felt burned by the EV hype of 2021-23 but in reality they only have themselves to blame.

One bought a Ford Mustang Mach-e, EPA range of 210 miles. Her commute is 70 miles in each direction. During the temperate autumn weather, she was on cloud-9 but then came winter; she wasn’t aware that she would get hit with a 40-50% range penalty unless she preconditioned the battery in freezing conditions. She was having to use 90-95% SoC per winter commute day, and was experiencing accelerated battery degradation because of this. She recognized her beginner EV owner mistake of trusting the published ranges and traded in her Mach-e for a Tesla Model Y long range (310ish mile published range IIRC) and is much much happier. She is able to use roughly 60-80% SoC per winter commute. In addition, she’s got two Tesla superchargers along her route home if she gets herself into a bind.

Every hybrid and PHEV owner I know is happy with their vehicle.

Back