Rented a Sienna Hybrid for a week

I signed up for an intermediate, but the guy at the rental counter looked at me and asked I wanted a Sienna. I'm 6'7" 320 so I was like uh yeahhhh...

Checked out in San Diego, returned in Oakland (that's another story...), a little over 7 days. Sienna LE Hybrid, NY plates, about 50K miles. Swallowed our excessive luggage in the back no problem. Averaged around 35mpg overall, hand calculated. Good room for the (very tall) driver. Smooth highway cruiser. Less body lean than I was expecting, but then again my daily is an old Lincoln Navigator which has all the body leans. Pretty quiet for the most part but the 4 cylinder got a little thrashy when pushed hard. On the other hand it had no problems going up steep grades at 70mph, which was a concern of mine. Hard to keep it in EV mode on acceleration much past 20-25 despite my efforts. Mileage starts creeping up in traffic which is great. Adaptive cruise was the best that I have tried, will brake hard from 75MPH to a stop if necessary. All you have to do is steer. I did lower the sensitivity every time I turned on the criuse though to 1 bar, if you leave it on 3 bars you'll never get anywhere in city traffic as it will keep 100 yards between you and the car in front of you. Infotainment system is not the most intuitive but I almost exclusively used Android Auto while I was driving for navigation and music. Good sound quality after some adjustments, think it had a subwoofer because there was some booming on some pop songs we played.

Really liked this vehicle, and I don't have the aversion to the 'minivan image' that drive some people to buy large SUVs. I personally don't care. But I shopped them when I got home and starts at 45K and basically none available other than the high trim models. I think I'll keep my Navi for a while longer, it gets about 15mpg but it's paid off. I'm one of those people who doesn't really like putting money into depreciating assets. If you don't mind paying what they cost and don't care about the image issues, then I thought it was a good vehicle that will probably last a long time. Our rental had 50K miles but didn't feel like it except for maybe a bit of vibration from the cheap china tires that Budget had put on it as OEM replacements. Overall I would recommend it, just wish it was about 10K less expensive.

Sienna Hybrid is my next vehicle in a few years. Probably buy a certified pre-owned like I did with my 2012.

I signed up for an intermediate, but the guy at the rental counter looked at me and asked I wanted a Sienna. I'm 6'7" 320 so I was like uh yeahhhh...

Checked out in San Diego, returned in Oakland (that's another story...), a little over 7 days. Sienna LE Hybrid, NY plates, about 50K miles. Swallowed our excessive luggage in the back no problem. Averaged around 35mpg overall, hand calculated. Good room for the (very tall) driver. Smooth highway cruiser. Less body lean than I was expecting, but then again my daily is an old Lincoln Navigator which has all the body leans. Pretty quiet for the most part but the 4 cylinder got a little thrashy when pushed hard. On the other hand it had no problems going up steep grades at 70mph, which was a concern of mine. Hard to keep it in EV mode on acceleration much past 20-25 despite my efforts. Mileage starts creeping up in traffic which is great. Adaptive cruise was the best that I have tried, will brake hard from 75MPH to a stop if necessary. All you have to do is steer. I did lower the sensitivity every time I turned on the criuse though to 1 bar, if you leave it on 3 bars you'll never get anywhere in city traffic as it will keep 100 yards between you and the car in front of you. Infotainment system is not the most intuitive but I almost exclusively used Android Auto while I was driving for navigation and music. Good sound quality after some adjustments, think it had a subwoofer because there was some booming on some pop songs we played.

Really liked this vehicle, and I don't have the aversion to the 'minivan image' that drive some people to buy large SUVs. I personally don't care. But I shopped them when I got home and starts at 45K and basically none available other than the high trim models. I think I'll keep my Navi for a while longer, it gets about 15mpg but it's paid off. I'm one of those people who doesn't really like putting money into depreciating assets. If you don't mind paying what they cost and don't care about the image issues, then I thought it was a good vehicle that will probably last a long time. Our rental had 50K miles but didn't feel like it except for maybe a bit of vibration from the cheap china tires that Budget had put on it as OEM replacements. Overall I would recommend it, just wish it was about 10K less expensive.
A Sienna LE should be right around $37k. But you will have to order it and put down a deposit. Flexibility with colors should help to get it sooner.

A Sienna LE should be right around $37k. But you will have to order it and put down a deposit. Flexibility with colors should help to get it sooner.

$36,115 msrp in my area plus transport I'm sure. I didn't realize they were all hybrids now, guess you can't even get the V6 any longer. Maybe if we really go down to 1 car we'll consider it. I work from home most of the time and there is train service into Austin that drops off close to my office if I need to go. Would save money on insurance for sure.

Looks like you need the LE Plus package to get Android Auto and Apple CarPlay? That is a hard requirement for us. Either that or purchase an aftermarket radio? Can you even purchase aftermarket decks with these new cars anymore?

Apple Carplay and Android auto come standard on the base trim LE. Even on a Corolla LE these features come standard on the '21 model years and up. On the '20 Corolla it was Apple Carplay only.

We really enjoyed the one we test drove for a weekend. We were set on on it until the wife started reading online about the Odyssey and their "magic seating." Once she read about that, it was a done deal. Would have rather had the Sienna myself but whatevs.

If I need a minivan the Sienna Hybrid would be what I want today. I know it is not a fair comparison. Back in 2015 I was able to get a 'left over' Prius V for $21k before tax, got me 40mpg realistically, and a HUGE trunk that could make it more useful than a Sienna if I am only using 4 of the seats. I hope they still make them but I am sure they don't because they aren't making much money on it if they sell it at that price.

Surprisingly I am seeing more and more Prius V in my neighborhood these days.

That’s amazing mpg for such a spacious vehicle. Those van living people on YouTube would probably love these vans.

Isn’t it interesting how the different manufacturers approach the problem of fuel consumption in larger vehicles. Ford would have probably tried to stick a 700cc quad turbo contraption under the hood that lasts 75k miles. Toyota seems to have it figured.

That’s amazing mpg for such a spacious vehicle. Those van living people on YouTube would probably love these vans.

Isn’t it interesting how the different manufacturers approach the problem of fuel consumption in larger vehicles. Ford would have probably tried to stick a 700cc quad turbo contraption under the hood that lasts 75k miles. Toyota seems to have it figured.
Yup. Huge selling point for these and why we were set to get one until Hondas magic seat came up for the wife.

Very interesting post. Thanks for sharing that even when you drive them in a spirited way, they had plenty of power.

I like minivans. The achillies' heal of the Honda Odyssey's I drive is they only get 20 MPG in around town driving, and perhaps 25 MPG if you drive the speed limit on the highways and hypermile by conserving momentum.
I've read that the new hybrid Sienna's get nearly double the MPG, which seems really impressive.

Very interesting post. Thanks for sharing that even when you drive them in a spirited way, they had plenty of power.

I like minivans. The achillies' heal of the Honda Odyssey's I drive is they only get 20 MPG in around town driving, and perhaps 25 MPG if you drive the speed limit on the highways and hypermile by conserving momentum.
I've read that the new hybrid Sienna's get nearly double the MPG, which seems really impressive.

You can buy lots of gas for the odyssey instead of a new sienna

By all means if you “needed” a new van then yes the sienna is up there on choice

By all means if you “needed” a new van then yes the sienna is up there on choice
Sometimes the rust and road salt doesnt leave you a choice in needing to be out of a vehicle.
but USA is a big location.

Sometimes the rust and road salt doesnt leave you a choice in needing to be out of a vehicle.
but USA is a big location.
I have a local mechanic who has been a mechanic for decades. He once told me as his first job he worked applying rustproofing. He agreed to do the rustproofing of my vehicles. He only charged me $100 per vehicle to do a full undercarriage rustproofing. I thoroughly washed the undercarriages with a hose first, before I brought the vehicles to him for the rustproofing. I prefer high trim level older Hondas that are already fully depreciated, and then I try to maintain them meticulosly for many years. I'm hoping to keep the ones I have now until the year 2035. So obviously rust is a major concern that I really try to be proactive on.

Last edited:

Yes, I really like the 3rd Gen Odysseys as Honda didn't cut costs in their construction. They have 8 pasenger seating silky soft leather seats, and leather steering wheel. The 2 front seats are heated. Moonroof, Navigation screen, DVD screen for the kids. They have nimble handling and are fun to drive. They have only 17 deaths per 1 million vehicle years at IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) website:

And they are very inexpensive on the used car market. I like to keep the outside and inside looking brand new so people who aren't familiar with the Odyssey generations might think they are newer.

The engines have VCM I, which according to a mechanic who I trust on BITOG that worked on their sludged engines, told me they are very hard on the oil and prone to sludge, as the front bank of 3 cylinders gets extremely hot and cooks the oil. So you have to do frequent oil changes with them with Synthetic oil. Also, several people on the odyclub forum with these Odysseys say if you do a drain/fill (3.3 quarts) of the ATF fluid every 15k miles, you can get 300k+ miles out of these transmissions, so I follow their advice.

I've always been curious about the Siennas, as they are the Odyssey's main competitors.

Thanks for that long review of the newest Sienna. It was really interesting.
The next time I need to rent a car, I'll ask for a Sienna and get a chance to drive one for myself.

Yes, I really like the 3rd Gen Odysseys as Honda didn't cut costs in their construction. They have 8 pasenger seating silky soft leather seats, and leather steering wheel. The 2 front seats are heated. Moonroof, Navigation screen, DVD screen for the kids. They have nimble handling and are fun to drive. They have only 17 deaths per 1 million vehicle years at IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) website:

And they are very inexpensive on the used car market. I like to keep the outside and inside looking brand new so people who aren't familiar with the Odyssey generations might think they are newer.

The engines have VCM I, which according to a mechanic who I trust on BITOG that worked on their sludged engines, told me they are very hard on the oil and prone to sludge, as the front bank of 3 cylinders gets extremely hot and cooks the oil. So you have to do frequent oil changes with them with Synthetic oil. Also, several people on the odyclub forum with these Odysseys say if you do a drain/fill (3.3 quarts) of the ATF fluid every 15k miles, you can get 300k+ miles out of these transmissions, so I follow their advice.

I've always been curious about the Siennas, as they are the Odyssey's main competitors.

Thanks for that long review of the newest Sienna. It was really interesting.
The next time I need to rent a car, I'll ask for a Sienna and get a chance to drive one for myself.
VCM muzzler > *

VCM muzzler > *
These VCM I's don't have oil consumption problems, like the VCM II (2008+ models do).
Since I drive with a light foot and hypermile them by conserving momentum, eco light is on most of the time (using only 3 cylinders).
I actually like this feature, especially on highway driving. I get about 20 MPG in around town driving, and 25 on the highway if I only go the speed limit.

The Honda J35 engines are really smooth and powerful. The engine cruises at 65 MPH at about 1900 RPMs and I try to keep it's maximum RPM to 2500 RPMs during acceleration. Hoping I can limit the wear on these engines to 0.
They currently don't consume any oil at all in between oil change intervals.

So far, I’m still able to afford the fuel on my 2017 Chevy SS sedan with a 6.2 w/auto. It still has plenty of life in it. I do look around at newer things, but nothing jumps out at me. 🤷‍♂️

I wish they offered the Sienna in a long wheel base version because it's just a too short but I honestly think it's a great vehicle and I would buy it if it were since it would meet my needs while being cheaper, more efficient, and reliable compared to my Escalade but still being as spacious and comfortable. The length matters more than the width to he honest. I can sacrifice suv width but not length.

Back