Tundra out of Commision for 4-6weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
The local dealer has deemed my mom's 2000 Tundra w 89k miles not roadworthy due to excessive rust on the frame. It is flaking off in chunks.

Apparently the frame is backordered 4-6 weeks and they are going to correct it. She is only responsible for parts not deemed worthy of moving apparently. She is also getting the timing belt done since engine exposed for $300.

They offered her a loaner for this time period.

I just don't see how Toyota is making money this year. I am amazed they are standing behind this.

I was asking a buddy of mine about Toyota trucks and trucks in general (I'm a VW guy), and he said to watch out because frame rot is common in Tacos and Tundras. Is it true?

Last edited:
A short time ago there was a big problem with frames rotting out on many Tundras. They were offering something like enough credit to buy a new Tundra plus other benefits. Check into it or somebody else please chime in with more information.

A couple months ago Toyota bought back my 1996 tacoma because of a rusty frame. There was a recall on these vehicles and they inspected the frames and you were given a 15 year frame warranty.Mine failed at 14 years and Toyota bought it back at 150% of KBB value in Excellant condition regardless of the condition or miles on the vehicle. I owned the truck for 4 years and they bought it back for 2500.00 more than I paid for it. Great customer service. I was even given a rental car until I was able to get a new car.

Originally Posted By: cryption
I was asking a buddy of mine about Toyota trucks and trucks in general (I'm a VW guy), and he said to watch out because frame rot is common in Tacos and Tundras. Is it true?

Not in the greater Willis, TX area

My company has a 2004 Tacoma and there is not a speck of rust on the frame. Of course it is in Las Vegas
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: cryption

Depending on enviorment. My 2002 Taco has been rock solid.

If you live in the salt belt or near the coast then yes they rust quicker than a house on fire.Course so does almost everything else,plenty of Rangers running around with busted frames.Difference is Ford didn't buy them back or even fix them once they were out of warranty,when they were under warranty the thing literally had to have a broken frame before they would fix it.

FIRST not my mother's but this what they look like at the dealer (another person). The frame look similar on hers but much more visible without the body.

46743_145989138767654_100000697056012_282370_3821591_n.jpg

I had a picture of hers from about a year ago(but just a section) that was hard to take since light is poor and area tight underneath vehicle.

My mother is responsible for paying for parts like struts, bushings, springs or others that are extremely worn. No labor charge just parts charge to get them changed out.

Toyota has the process down to 4 days at their shop start to finish.

Maybe I'm just incredibly naive but how in the world do you swap a vehicles frame? I didn't even realize it was possible -- don't insurance companies virtually always total a car if there's any frame damage?

Does it open up a huge can of worms in terms of other part failures, incorrect installations, and creeks & rattles? I'm probably wrong but I'm imagining a process that essentially involves doing the task of factory line robots by hand.

Why on earth would an American buy an import truck to begin with? Trucks from the big 3 are superior to Toyota. Trucks are what the USA does best. Rant over. Anyways, I have helped with frame-up repairs and they are do-able (without comebacks), but very time consuming. I think if they have experienced guys that have done the repair before, you should be alright.

Originally Posted By: cousincletus
Why on earth would an American buy an import truck to begin with? Trucks from the big 3 are superior to Toyota. Trucks are what the USA does best. Rant over. Anyways, I have helped with frame-up repairs and they are do-able (without comebacks), but very time consuming. I think if they have experienced guys that have done the repair before, you should be alright.

I concur on trucks and USA. My parents bought this used for little money from a family member.

Apparently dealer has done this before so my mum is hoping it comes out fine. Then again she only drives the truck maybe 4000 miles tops/year anyway.

Not according to the commercials. There is a Toyota truck commercial currently running where I kid you not the customer testimony guy says, "you'd have to be crazy to buy any truck but Toyota..". And then goes on about how Toyota trucks are the best built most reliable. I was on a non-automotive forum a year or two ago and recommended Chevy pickups and a crowd of posters claiming to have Toyota trucks saying "bwhaaa GM is junk", "Toyota trucks never ever have any problems". And they just went on and on like Toyota trucks are the best and Domestic trucks just fall apart in pieces.

Point is most people do not even know about the frame rust issue. I doubt a domestic truck could have this problem and stay under the radar. What I find objectionable is the way so many people are brainwashed into believing Toyotas are perfect and GM is junk. Neither is true but they spread the false belief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back