Tundra out of Commision for 4-6weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Are winters/road salt up north that bad on vehicles ?

shocked2.gif

Yes, it is. It also depends a lot on what the Highway Dept uses on the roads. There is regular old road salt and then there are chemicals that really beat your vehicle up. It all leaves the same basic very heavy and thick coating of stuff that is like chalk.

If you live around here( New England )for example you HAVE to wash your vehicle frequently during the winter because of all the stuff they put on the road. If you don't in 2 years tops you will start having real issues with rust even on a brand new vehicle.

Your vehicle will look white'ish/gray up here all winter basically expect for the hour it stays clean after washing it. It really stinks. You wash it at the car wash and get it all cleaned up and it looks great and then you head home. By the time you get there it is all salted up again. Even when the roads are dry it still happens. It is like dust then. Truly dry roads are rare though from say Dec-Feb. Even when they are basically dry you usually have meting snow banks that get areas of the road wet. The water brings all the salt and chemicals used on the road back up and it gets splashed all over the vehicles. It really is a pain.

Real quick I grabbed some of my hunting albums and found a photo that will give you an idea. It is of my 03 Ram. It had snowed the day before so the roads were wet. That is why you see areas on the truck that look wet and have no salt. It is actually there it just doesn't show because it is wet. The entire truck is covered. When dry it will all be white. This would be considered only moderate salt coverage as well.

This is why those of us who live in an area that uses road salt shake our head at people that live down south near the ocean who say they haven't had any trouble with salt. It is a whole different ball game.

salt001.jpg

Your Ram looks like about every car around here during the winter.

And we wonder why rust-proofing gets lots of coverage on this board from the northerners.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Your Ram looks like about every car around here during the winter.

And we wonder why rust-proofing gets lots of coverage on this board from the northerners.

Amen.

My truck aged its fastest when I was at school with it and I had to drive it for 2 months at a time without washing it.

This is just salt...

IMG_2800.jpg

IMG_2806.jpg

Crazy stuff. I don't know how you guys deal with it. The winter months are usually the easy ones around here.

I don't get how the EPA allows salts to be used on the roads. In Alaska it was forbidden because these chemicals are harmfull to the plant life and anything in the downstream runnoff. Road salt seems like a sick Joke. Here in Northern New Mexico and southern Colorado they don't salt either. Why the huge salt subsidy for the rust belt?

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
salt001.jpg

In some ways I am glad I don't live up North. That is one of them.
grin2.gif

Yeah, but Alaska uses pea gravel on the roads instead of sand too (and does not require mudflaps usage). We are not exemplary by any means. I have not seen as many cars with cracked windshields in other states as I do in AK.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
I don't get how the EPA allows salts to be used on the roads. In Alaska it was forbidden because these chemicals are harmfull to the plant life and anything in the downstream runnoff. Road salt seems like a sick Joke. Here in Northern New Mexico and southern Colorado they don't salt either. Why the huge salt subsidy for the rust belt?

What do you propose they use instead?

Originally Posted By: bigmike
Crazy stuff. I don't know how you guys deal with it. The winter months are usually the easy ones around here.

We drive "winter beaters" and put the good cars up during salt season; you'd be surprised at how many people actually do this.

Originally Posted By: cchase
There's a huge difference between living in the south (anywhere south of say.... PA) or near the ocean and living in an area that has salt on the roads for 6 months every year.

Sorry, but that's just how it is. And this is clearly an issue with Toyotas.

Their buy-back program is commendable, but using inferior quality metal and rust-proofing techniques is not. Taking 150% of KBB sounds to be to be nothing but a ploy to insure their reputation for "high resale value", because it's nothing more than a subsidy.

On the pacific coast (Washington) the vehicles that drive on the beach (it's legal on most of our coastal beaches) often have far more rust issues than even those I've seen in the northeast U.S. So yes, driving ON the beach is extremely corrosive. More so than salted winter roads. Trust me....I've seen both.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
There's a huge difference between living in the south (anywhere south of say.... PA) or near the ocean and living in an area that has salt on the roads for 6 months every year.

Their buy-back program is commendable, but using inferior quality metal and rust-proofing techniques is not. Taking 150% of KBB sounds to be to be nothing but a ploy to insure their reputation for "high resale value", because it's nothing more than a subsidy.

On the pacific coast (Washington) the vehicles that drive on the beach (it's legal on most of our coastal beaches) often have far more rust issues than even those I've seen in the northeast U.S. So yes, driving ON the beach is extremely corrosive. More so than salted winter roads. Trust me....I've seen both.

There's a huge difference between driving in the ocean, and living near the ocean. Driving in the ocean is about what driving in the salt belt is, only for 6 months every year. If you don't see that...

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Are winters/road salt up north that bad on vehicles ?

shocked2.gif

You must not monitor the BITOG section where El Jefino posts his rust-bucket pics.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Is $300.00 pricy for the belt change when the engine is looking at you?

Yes and no. The likely "dealer" parts is about $175 for belt/tensioner. The balance labor which is not much in terms of time.

You missed one little detail... you don't have to drive on the beach, you can walk instead
smirk2.gif

In the rust belt, there is no escaping the salt, if you have to commute, your car is exposed no matter what.

In Canada you can deal with it in a few ways:
1. The obvious one... use the bus, but it is not convenient for everyone, plus you don't want to be waiting for the bus at -30C wind chill factor and if live outside of major urban areas, skip to number two.
2. As someone else mentioned already, buy a winter beater, provided you have a garage where your "nice" car can sit over winter months.
3. Oil spray rustproofing, if done annually or semi-annually, it is really effective at keeping cars rust free, it is also way cheaper than having a winter beater.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr

If the highway dept's were not allowed to use salt/chemicals on the roads this area( and other areas acorss the country with similar winter weather )of the country would be shut down basically during the winter months. You have to balance environmental impact with keeping the roads open and safe. Plowing and sand is not enough.

There are areas however where salt/chemicals are not allowed when it is within a certain distance of drinking water. There will be signs letting drivers know they are in a no salt zone. Those stretches of road are very dangerous in bad weather. I will actually go a different route if I can remember there is a no salt zone on the way to my destination in bad weather.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

You missed one little detail... you don't have to drive on the beach, you can walk instead
smirk2.gif

In the rust belt, there is no escaping the salt, if you have to commute, your car is exposed no matter what.

In Canada you can deal with it in a few ways:
1. The obvious one... use the bus, but it is not convenient for everyone, plus you don't want to be waiting for the bus at -30C wind chill factor and if live outside of major urban areas, skip to number two.
2. As someone else mentioned already, buy a winter beater, provided you have a garage where your "nice" car can sit over winter months.
3. Oil spray rustproofing, if done annually or semi-annually, it is really effective at keeping cars rust free, it is also way cheaper than having a winter beater.

Exactly. Living near the ocean and actually driving out on the beach are two very different things. Driving on the beach is an off road activity and would apply to very few people. I have to be very careful with the rear of my trucks as I do so much boat launching in salt water. I have to routinely rinse off the rear underside. Neither driving on the beach nor launching boats in salt water are things that most people do so to me it doesn't apply to the situation. If rust happened because of those 2 things it is on the vehicle owner not the vehicle mfg.

Note - under oiling( as it is called up here ) is no longer allowed. Only regular rust proofing type materials. The "oil" spray is now illegal around here. My family used to have it done on all of our vehicles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back